Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Calif is on fire again~the new normal-what needs to be done to prevent this??

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,571 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

It happened that is how stupid he is. Shows how rightys lie toi o protect him. This is repetition as normal here.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    So lying is how you play the game.
    Inversion fallacy. You are describing yourself.
    I thought after all the lies Trump got caught in
    Such as?
    you would be wise to not hitch your wagon to him.
    I'll be glad to. Deal with it.
    Apparently wisdom eludes you.
    You don't get to decide who is wise and who is not. You are not the king.
    Trump says stupid things and you lie about them.
    He never said it. CNN did. It's fiction. It's fake news.
    At least you are consistent. Fake post. Trump said it and as usual, you flatly deny it.
    Trump never said it. CNN did.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (09-10-2020)

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

It happened that is how stupid he is. Shows how rightys lie toi o protect him. This is repetition as normal here.
    Nope. Trump is not responsible for CNN fiction.
    "The atmosphere is among the factors that determines the Earth's atmosphere." --ZenMode
    "Donald has failed in almost every endeavor he has attempted. " --floridafan
    "Abortion is not a moral issue. " --BidenPresident
    "Propaganda can also be factual." --Flash
    "Even after being vaccinated, you shed virus particles." --Jerome
    "no slavery is forcing another into labor" -archives
    "Evs are much safer from fires" -- Nordberg
    "Abortion has killed no one." -- LurchAddams

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (09-10-2020)

6. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is the nature of the region to have fires.
    Over population makes it worse but noplace says no to development.
    Cant blame bears for being bears.
    Cant blame ecosystem for being that sort of ecosystem.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

7. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,030 Times in 12,560 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    It is the nature of the region to have fires.
    Over population makes it worse but noplace says no to development.
    Cant blame bears for being bears.
    Cant blame ecosystem for being that sort of ecosystem.
    You can blame humans for the forests being too dense so that too many the trees stay small and burn rather than survive fire driving up the heat thus killing ever larger trees as they burn too.....driving up the heat yet again.

This is at heart a management failure.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Into the Night (09-11-2020)

9. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    You can blame humans for the forests being too dense so that too many the trees stay small and burn rather than survive fire driving up the heat thus killing ever larger trees as they burn too.....driving up the heat yet again.

This is at heart a management failure.
    Tree huggers way back when stopped clearing under growth which is what you are likely referring to. Huge mistake as it only upped the tinder.
    They learned that lesson the hard way but then underfunded this important land management.
    But worse still they let people build where they knew fire was going to come (or mudslides on the coast).
    Nobody says no to development. Big problem.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

11. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Tree huggers way back when stopped clearing under growth which is what you are likely referring to. Huge mistake as it only upped the tinder.
    They learned that lesson the hard way but then underfunded this important land management.
    But worse still they let people build where they knew fire was going to come (or mudslides on the coast).
    It is not just the undergrowth....there are too many fucking trees.....we need to cut down trees if the forests are going to get healthy again.

Part of the problem is that we have not been logging for a long time, so there are no forests roads in a lot of places, they would need to be built before we could even start, which would be a hugely expensive project.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

12. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,571 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Nope. Trump is not responsible for CNN fiction.
    Not responsible for what Woodward got in tape either, is he? You are such a mindless suckup.

13. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

That is pretty much it IMHO........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

14. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It is not just the undergrowth....there are too many fucking trees.....we need to cut down trees if the forests are going to get healthy again.

Part of the problem is that we have not been logging for a long time, so there are no forests roads in a lot of places, they would need to be built before we could even start, which would be a hugely expensive project.
    That is correct IMHO as well

They have not been logging in many places but there are still roads out there, but many in disrepair as well.... That is part of the deal........ If you go & cut, you will not be on them for several years & will need to repair them..........

They have begun some clearing but it is very limited & much of the wood(from the over crowding) is not feasible/marketable & is just pilled up to age for burning in a few years......

They also do limited "controlled burns" which help but are very limited & not often well controlled as they have not always guessed well beyond 5 days as to conditions/wind......
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

15. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    That is correct IMHO as well

They have not been logging in many places but there are still roads out there, but many in disrepair as well.... That is part of the deal........ If you go & cut, you will not be on them for several years & will need to repair them..........

They have begun some clearing but it is very limited & much of the wood(from the over crowding) is not feasible/marketable & is just pilled up to age for burning in a few years......

They also do limited "controlled burns" which help but are very limited & not often well controlled as they have not always guessed well beyond 5 days as to conditions/wind......
    I was once reading that some environmental groups said "Fine, so long as it is done by helicopter we wont object to thinning of the forest" to which the obvious response was "Do you have even the first fucking clue how much that would cost?".

The answer was of course "No".

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

17. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I was once reading that some environmental groups said "Fine, so long as it is done by helicopter we wont object to thinning of the forest" to which the obvious response was "Do you have even the first fucking clue how much that would cost?".

The answer was of course "No".
    Yes, that would be nuts.... Controlled burn & limited logging is where I believe it is headed........

18. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, that would be nuts.... Controlled burn & limited logging is where I believe it is headed........
    Problems with burns:

1) Fires get hot fast...expensive plus liability problems if a fire gets away

2) CO2 released

3) expensive legal fees due to challenges, plus schedules get wonky because judges run things and they dont generally give a fuck adding more cost.

4) It is increasingly impossible to get permission to do a burn when people are crying about the wild animals and short term damage to watersheds

5) Citizens do not like either burn scars or smoke, and they will be encourage to blame the ones who did it.

19. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Problems with burns:

1) Fires get hot fast...expensive plus liability problems if a fire gets away

2) CO2 released

3) expensive legal fees due to challenges, plus schedules get wonky because judges run things and they dont generally give a fuck adding more cost.

4) It is increasingly impossible to get permission to do a burn when people are crying about the wild animals and short term damage to watersheds

5) Citizens do not like either burn scars or smoke, and they will be encourage to blame the ones who did it.
    The forestry dept does it all the time.. WHere do you live??

& some times they do get out of hand, oh well..............

20. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The forestry dept does it all the time.. WHere do you live??

& some times they do get out of hand, oh well..............
    I am not making this up:

But even as fires have ravaged California in recent years — killing dozens and leveling entire neighborhoods — controlled burns haven’t expanded much, researchers said.

To understand what’s stopped prescribed burns, the researchers interviewed legislative aides, state and federal employees, nonprofit leaders, academics and more.
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/californ...239475468.html