Thread: Remorseful Insider: Republican Party Was All A lie

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Remorseful Insider: Republican Party Was All A lie

Trump has not destroyed the Republican Party. All he did was exploit what was already there and has been there for years and years.

The Republican Party has been about racism since WWII. It used racism to steal racist southern whites from the Democratic Party in the 1960's after they became angry at the Civil Rights Movement.

The best thing that could be done with the Republican Party is to completely destroy it and start over again from scratch.

-Author Stuart Stevens, campaign strategist for Mitt Romney's 2012 presidential run.

"Blame me: A one-time Republican operative recounts the transformation of the big-tent GOP into an organ of white nationalism.

Stevens has been working in Republican politics for decades. Looking back at the age of 65, he regrets being “focused on winning without regard for the consequences.” Whereas a Republican presidential candidate could once expect to win between 30% and 40% of the black vote, that figure tumbled in the years after Barry Goldwater, when, successively, leaders like Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan sounded racist dog whistles to get the votes of insecure Southern and rural whites. Stevens himself admits, “I played the race card in my very first race,” driving just those white voters into the arms of the GOP by highlighting the fact that an otherwise unknown black man was running as an independent for Congress. Fast-forward to the present, when the party is headed by a man whose values should be anathema to it: Like the man himself, the GOP is “addicted to debt and selling a false image of success.” While Stevens does not place all blame on the current president, he avers that “in retrospect, the Clinton presidency adhered to the values espoused for decades by Republicans far more than the Trump years.” Ouch! As for the party, Stevens writes that it’s nearly impossible to imagine a GOP that adheres to the values of “compassionate conservatism” advanced only two decades ago by George W. Bush or one that will stand up to a resurgent Russia. He closes by predicting that Republicans who have given Trump free rein will one day “look back on this period of their lives with a mixture of shame, sadness, and regret,” holding some dim hope for a return to the values of old by virtue of moderate Republican governors and state legislators."

IT WAS ALL A LIE: HOW THE REPUBLICAN PARTY BECAME DONALD TRUMP
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-14-2020)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-14-2020), Micawber (08-25-2020)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Trump has not destroyed the Republican Party. All he did was exploit what was already there and has been there for years and years.

The Republican Party has been about racism since WWII. It used racism to steal racist southern whites from the Democratic Party in the 1960's after they became angry at the Civil Rights Movement.

The best thing that could be done with the Republican Party is to completely destroy it and start over again from scratch.

-Author Stuart Stevens, campaign strategist for Mitt Romney's 2012 presidential run.

"Blame me: A one-time Republican operative recounts the transformation of the big-tent GOP into an organ of white nationalism.

Stevens has been working in Republican politics for decades. Looking back at the age of 65, he regrets being “focused on winning without regard for the consequences.” Whereas a Republican presidential candidate could once expect to win between 30% and 40% of the black vote, that figure tumbled in the years after Barry Goldwater, when, successively, leaders like Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan sounded racist dog whistles to get the votes of insecure Southern and rural whites. Stevens himself admits, “I played the race card in my very first race,” driving just those white voters into the arms of the GOP by highlighting the fact that an otherwise unknown black man was running as an independent for Congress. Fast-forward to the present, when the party is headed by a man whose values should be anathema to it: Like the man himself, the GOP is “addicted to debt and selling a false image of success.” While Stevens does not place all blame on the current president, he avers that “in retrospect, the Clinton presidency adhered to the values espoused for decades by Republicans far more than the Trump years.” Ouch! As for the party, Stevens writes that it’s nearly impossible to imagine a GOP that adheres to the values of “compassionate conservatism” advanced only two decades ago by George W. Bush or one that will stand up to a resurgent Russia. He closes by predicting that Republicans who have given Trump free rein will one day “look back on this period of their lives with a mixture of shame, sadness, and regret,” holding some dim hope for a return to the values of old by virtue of moderate Republican governors and state legislators."

IT WAS ALL A LIE: HOW THE REPUBLICAN PARTY BECAME DONALD TRUMP
    Spot on. Republicans let the genie out of the bottle. Their first wish was to take over the South. Wish granted, but it came with a price. You had to wink and nod at overt racists and support them through your dog whistles (welfare queens, etc). The second wish was given to the white nationalist wing of the party, and they got Donald Trump. It's pretty hard now to feel sorry for Republicans who want to put the genie away. Wish three is an authoritarian white supremacist regime. The group that took the cork out of the bottle doesn't want that. Oops. Should have thought of that in the first place. I'm willing to work with them to tame the genie, but don't expect me to thank them for their new found religion.

5. The Following User Groans At Concart For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-14-2020)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-14-2020), PoliTalker (08-14-2020)

7. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 727 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 372 Times in 345 Posts

The Republican Party will be dead within one generation. There will never be another Republican POTUS.

8. The Following User Groans At TexanManWithPlans For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-14-2020)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TexanManWithPlans For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-14-2020), Micawber (08-25-2020), PoliTalker (08-14-2020)

10. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

I guess if I was stupid enough to say that I would be remorseful as well......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Earl (08-14-2020), Truth Detector (08-14-2020)

12. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

William F Buckley was a racist.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-14-2020)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Micawber (08-25-2020), Phantasmal (08-14-2020)

15. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,162 Times in 33,863 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good article about the subject

https://theintercept.com/2020/07/05/...uckley-racism/

16. The Following User Groans At Phantasmal For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-14-2020)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-14-2020)

18. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,176 Times in 14,712 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

RINO

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ExpressLane For This Post:

Truth Detector (08-14-2020)

20. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Interesting. We all know what he wrote in '57 and then he evolved quite a bit from those positions. Now I know white liberals LOVE to call others racist because many of you feel it absolves of your own racism but you do what you have to do.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Earl (08-14-2020), Truth Detector (08-14-2020)

22. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Phantasmal,

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Good stuff: "In his book, Stevens apologizes for his role in propping up a Republican Party he now considers to be little more than a “white grievance party” cynically exploiting racism in the pursuit of power. "

Thanks.

23. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-14-2020)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-25-2020), Phantasmal (08-14-2020)

25. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Interesting. We all know what he wrote in '57 and then he evolved quite a bit from those positions. Now I know white liberals LOVE to call others racist because many of you feel it absolves of your own racism but you do what you have to do.
    It is not a denial of racism for racists to call others racist. It is an ad hominem.

26. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-14-2020)

27. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Hello cawacko,

It is not a denial of racism for racists to call others racist. It is an ad hominem.
    Break that one down for me please, i'm not following.

28. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Break that one down for me please, i'm not following.
    It's like the old schoolyard snappy comeback: 'I'm rubber, you're glue, what you say bounces off me and sticks to you.'

When a racist is called out for racism, one of the most common responses is to claim that the caller is actually the racist.

It's a circular argument in an attempt to shift the focus away from the racist and instead aim it at anyone calling them out for racism.

Sometimes manifested as a claim that 'blacks are actually the racists.'

29. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,669 Times in 17,927 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

It's like the old schoolyard snappy comeback: 'I'm rubber, you're glue, what you say bounces off me and sticks to you.'

When a racist is called out for racism, one of the most common responses is to claim that the caller is actually the racist.

It's a circular argument in an attempt to shift the focus away from the racist and instead aim it at anyone calling them out for racism.

What about a cabron who cheers the economic loss for millions of millions of Americans and their families caused by the virus from China that China failed to contain...as you did?

30. The Following User Groans At Earl For This Awful Post:

AProudLefty (08-29-2020)

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

32. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,669 Times in 17,927 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,248 Times in 3,052 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Blacks call each other the n word, Snowflake.

Is that racism?

33. The Following User Groans At Earl For This Awful Post:

AProudLefty (08-29-2020)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Earl For This Post:

35. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,062 Times in 8,414 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Prove it. I know your mother told you that whatever you said was smart and wonderful but the rest of us need more than your brain droppings.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Yakuda For This Post: