Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Is The Stock Market Doing So Well In A Bad Recession?

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    I just like to see progressives admit that they have a warped perspective on what taxation is.
    Well, when you do that let me know. Obviously you aren't interested in a meaningful discussion. Run along, squirt

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you own a bunch of stock you don't have money. You have stock. If you sell, then it becomes money. If it loses all it's value before you sell, then you have nothing.

Nobody has money in the stock market. What they have is stock value.

Those eggs are not chickens, and not all eggs become chickens. They cannot be counted as chickens until they hatch and go peep.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-14-2020)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Concart (08-13-2020), Phantasmal (08-13-2020)

5. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    If you own a bunch of stock you don't have money. You have stock. If you sell, then it becomes money. If it loses all it's value before you sell, then you have nothing.

Nobody has money in the stock market. What they have is stock value.

Those eggs are not chickens, and not all eggs become chickens. They cannot be counted as chickens until they hatch and go peep.
    What do you consider the money you buy stocks with? (Maybe you're a big baller and only buy on margin. Don't want to rule that out.)

6. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

After reading through this thread it is quite apparent Concart has no fucking clue what he is talking about. Just trying to bullshit his way through this thread like all others.

7. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,454 Times in 9,909 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 867 Times in 825 Posts

Ive done quite well throughout the Chinese Covid " Temporary crash" . Then again, I dont rely on government to make my way in life for me,....I instead rely on the good Lord and hard work. Also,....I do think that most people understand this was a manufactured crisis mostly by the left in the hopes of winning an election. Just another reason why Trump will be your POTUS at this time next year as well.

8. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Damn Politarder is clueless.
    They shut down all small business and you don't understand why giant corps that were allowed to stay open have their stock price go up? Youre too stupid to make posts about this

9. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    What do you consider the money you buy stocks with? (Maybe you're a big baller and only buy on margin. Don't want to rule that out.)
    When you buy stock you spend money to buy it. After the purchase you no longer have the money you spent. Once money is spent it is gone. You no longer have money. What you have is stock.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

10. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 4,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    An increase in the price of a stock has nothing to do with actual money. A share of stock is a piece of the company, and the actual value of that stock is tied completely to the value of the company. Period. You cannot pay for anything with a share of stock. You have to sell it, at the price that a person is willing to pay for it. It is a speculative price, not real money.
    If I buy stock at $100 and sell for $150, I made $50. That is real money. There is nothing speculative about it if the stock is priced at $150 when I choose to sell. If it is a mutual fund it is a piece of hundreds of companies. Or, if I buy bonds they are going to pay me regular interest payments in real money. Some stocks pay me regular dividends without having to sell that stock.

Fidelity has been sending me real money for several years. That is my retirement income plus Social Security. If I had invested my SS contributions in the market instead I would have over twice the income I have now.

11. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,362 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Hello cawacko,

When you buy stock you spend money to buy it. After the purchase you no longer have the money you spent. Once money is spent it is gone. You no longer have money. What you have is stock.
    I haven’t followed every post ITT. Was someone questioning how the process of purchasing a stock works?

12. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    If I buy stock at $100 and sell for $150, I made $50. That is real money. There is nothing speculative about it if the stock is priced at $150 when I choose to sell. If it is a mutual fund it is a piece of hundreds of companies. Or, if I buy bonds they are going to pay me regular interest payments in real money. Some stocks pay me regular dividends without having to sell that stock.

Fidelity has been sending me real money for several years. That is my retirement income plus Social Security. If I had invested my SS contributions in the market instead I would have over twice the income I have now.
    Yes, you have to SELL the stock to realize the gain. Your gain is someone elses loss. Unless of course the speculative stock price grossly overstates the value of the company. But that is the only real asset behind a share of stock. The value of the company. Period, end of story. I get that you don't understand it, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. It just means you're uneducated and don't get it.

13. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I haven’t followed every post ITT. Was someone questioning how the process of purchasing a stock works?
    No, there was a dispute about whether a stock portfolio can be equated to real money.

14. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

semantic argument going nowhere

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-14-2020)

16. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Micawber,

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    semantic argument going nowhere
    It really has gotten off onto a tangent.

The discussion is supposed to be about how the stock market can be booming while the economy is in a bad recession.

I think it is a time lag effect. This recession began when special segments of the workforce lost their income, coupled with most of the consumer public becoming extremely wary about the social contact part of consumerism.

The pandemic has shut down or severely limited sports games, concerts, celebrations, conventions, bars, tourism, restaurants, cruise ships, stores, shops, school events, school classes, airlines, theaters, hotels.

Consumers are hesitant to participate in gatherings or close contact with others, causing a drop in consumer spending.

We have to wonder how the big corporations which depend on any of these can continue to make money, and how investors have reacted to the changes. Apparently they have shifted portfolios to the still-profitable holdings and driven the prices of those stocks up, causing the market to remain strong.

When mortgage, rent and loan defaults rise, will it cause the market to reflect the economy?

17. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-14-2020)

18. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    After reading through this thread it is quite apparent Concart has no fucking clue what he is talking about. Just trying to bullshit his way through this thread like all others.
    Indeed.

He's a sock/troll, uneducated and a colossal waste of time.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earl For This Post:

Irish (08-14-2020), Sailor (08-14-2020)

20. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

No, there was a dispute about whether a stock portfolio can be equated to real money.
    This is what you posted when the stock market went down due to the virus from China that China failed to contain?

PoliTalker:

"Dive, market, DIVE!

Take DT down with you.

02-28-2020, 06:47 AM #5 | Top
    PoliTalker

"Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better.

We're going down.

BZZZZZT! BZZZZZT! BZZZZZT!

Dive! Dive! Dive!"

Why do you hate millions of Americans and their families?