Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Is The Stock Market Doing So Well In A Bad Recession?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Why Is The Stock Market Doing So Well In A Bad Recession?

Seems a bit baffling.

It's like nobody told Wall Street there is a serious recession going on.

There is lots of bad economic news out there, but investors don't seem to care.

Is it only a recession for vulnerable disadvantaged people?

Have the big corporations they invest in figured out how to make money no matter what happens to the powerless?

How long can that go on?

Are we inching closer to a big crash when the human support mechanisms for all this wealth extraction begin to crack and fail?

Will there be an 'October Surprise?'

Please explain, thanks.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following 3 Users Groan At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-13-2020), Earl (08-13-2020), Irish (08-14-2020)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Tranquillus in Exile (08-13-2020)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Maybe it's like the old light bulb that burns the brightest just before going out.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. The Following 2 Users Groan At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-13-2020), Earl (08-13-2020)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yeh I bet that boils your piss, fuck you!

7. The Following User Groans At cancel2 2022 For This Awful Post:

Tranquillus in Exile (08-13-2020)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Earl (08-13-2020), Into the Night (08-16-2020), Stone (08-13-2020)

9. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There seem to be two different economies.

One for the rich and another for everybody else.

10. The Following User Groans At PoliTalker For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-13-2020)

11. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Money sloshing around needs to be some where. Bonds offer zero return.

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post

There is another place the money is going, buying up farms in foreclosure. Thanks Trump.

13. The Following User Groans At Micawber For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-13-2020)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-13-2020), Rune (08-13-2020)

15. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Maybe they don’t teach this in school but the stock market isn’t the economy. Too many people don’t see to be aware of that.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Callinectes (08-13-2020), Controlled Opposition (08-13-2020), Earl (08-13-2020), Into the Night (08-16-2020), Minister of Truth (08-13-2020), Rune (08-13-2020), Sailor (08-13-2020)

17. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

You celebrate when the stock market goes down:

PoliTalker:

"Dive, market, DIVE!

Take DT down with you.

02-28-2020, 06:47 AM #5 | Top
    PoliTalker

"Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better.

We're going down.

BZZZZZT! BZZZZZT! BZZZZZT!

Dive! Dive! Dive!"

Millions of Americans and their families were hurt by the virus from China that China failed to contain and you celebrated the stock market drop.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Earl For This Post:

Callinectes (08-13-2020), cancel2 2022 (08-13-2020), canceled.2021.3 (08-13-2020), Stone (08-13-2020)

19. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,568 Times in 17,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,238 Times in 3,042 Posts
    Blog Entries

A lie.

More than half of U.S. households have investment in stock ...
    www.pewresearch.org › fact-tank › 2020/03/25 › more...
    Mar 25, 2020 - The statue “Fearless Girl,” across from the New York Stock Exchange, wearing a ... plans, with the values of many of these plans linked to the stock market. ... of American families (14%) are directly invested in individual stocks,

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Earl For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-13-2020), Flash (08-13-2020)

21. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Seems a bit baffling.

Have the big corporations they invest in figured out how to make money no matter what happens to the powerless?

How long can that go on?

Are we inching closer to a big crash when the human support mechanisms for all this wealth extraction begin to crack and fail?

Please explain, thanks.
    This is what happens when you have a massive wage and wealth gap. The money does not trickle down to those that need it. The money goes into a giant poker game played by the wealthiest Americans. When they get a run of bad cards, they cash out, and wait for things to get better. It is an exchange of billions of dollars that produces absolutely nothing. Of course we can't take that money away from them and actually put it back into the economy. Because we'd be punishing the 'job producers'. That's how stupid the conservative movement has gotten. They're fine with their money going not to create new jobs, but to create more wealth for the already wealthy.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-13-2020)

23. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

the market is seeing future growth - jobs numbers etc.
    But it's still a future indicator and if Biden wins will crash due to taxes and new regulations killing jobs

24. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    This is what happens when you have a massive wage and wealth gap. The money does not trickle down to those that need it. The money goes into a giant poker game played by the wealthiest Americans. When they get a run of bad cards, they cash out, and wait for things to get better. It is an exchange of billions of dollars that produces absolutely nothing. Of course we can't take that money away from them and actually put it back into the economy. Because we'd be punishing the 'job producers'. That's how stupid the conservative movement has gotten. They're fine with their money going not to create new jobs, but to create more wealth for the already wealthy.
    What does any of what you said have to do with why the stock market is booming, especially the conservative movement?

One doesn’t need an advanced degree in economics to understand the Fed’s actions are the driver of what we are seeing in the market (there’s also the element of betting on an economic recovery). This past decade we’ve experienced the worst economic recovery since the Great Depression yet the stock market boomed thanks largely to three rounds of QE and continued easy money policies of the Fed. Now the Fed is QE on steroids.

Additionally where else would you put your money right now?

25. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 36 Times in 31 Posts

Seems a bit baffling.

How long can that go on?

Please explain, thanks.

When we have a crisis the rich always do better much better...The rich are able to buy up everything for pennies on the dollar''
    The stock market has it's own game going on..it only cares about the people when and if it effects the market...
    The market doesn't pay any taxes on TRILLIONS AND TRILLIONS of $$$ traded every week...not one penny tax paid...

So as I said they have their own game separated from the ups and downs in the economy because the stock market can make money
    when things are good and when things are bad...what ever happens in the economy it will only last for so long...and they will trade
    on that basis...The little guys in the market lose in many cases but the big guys will make money almost always...because they can move
    the market...up or down..

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jjay For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-13-2020)

27. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    What does any of what you said have to do with why the stock market is booming, especially the conservative movement?

One doesn’t need an advanced degree in economics to understand the Fed’s actions are the driver of what we are seeing in the market (there’s also the element of betting on an economic recovery). This past decade we’ve experienced the worst economic recovery since the Great Depression yet the stock market boomed thanks largely to three rounds of QE and continued easy money policies of the Fed. Now the Fed is QE on steroids.

Additionally where else would you put your money right now?
    Supply side economics has provided the fuel for this poker game. Conservatives claimed that the rich guys would reinvest the money in the economy. They didn't. Consumer spending in the 80's and 90's was fueled not by real growth in wealth, but by consumer debt. That all blew up in 2008, but we learned absolutely nothing. That's why we have slow growth, a massive and growing wage/wealth gap, and a stock market that has little to do with what is happening in the real world.

You clearly don't understand what QE was all about. NONE of the money reached the money supply. It all sat in excess reserves. We are now slowly unwinding that balance sheet. The idea that it fueled the stock market is nonsense.

28. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Concart,

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    The 'job producers' seem to be on vacation.