Thread: Carlin had it right!

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Come on old now. First you didn't know 4:20 and now you don't know woke? (Offering grace, woke is more a generational term so it's possible older people aren't as familiar with it. But in reality it's such a ubiquitous term and being on the left I'm not sure how you are unaware of what it means)
    He's bullshitting you!
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 08-13-2020 at 09:41 AM.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,896 Times in 21,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,687 Times in 5,190 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    Carlin detested political correctness!
    Yes, the religious right type.

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Taichiliberal,

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    14 years later and what the late, great comedian George Carlin stated is STILL dead on as to what our political system is all about.

Nailed it!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Taichiliberal (08-13-2020)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Carlin mentioned critical thinking............ What percent would you say does that here?? Hell how many even know what it is..........

Most cruse for shit to post that meets their personal bias needs-much of it passed along unfiltered.............

Like Kamala........ Prior to her joining the tix you would not find one post a day about her, now she is suddenly being portrayed as the whore of babylon........

& this is only the beginning...........
    From what I've learned, the schools have replaced critical thinking skills with critical theory and/or critical pedagogy.

It's apparently been going on for quite some time now with no end of it even beginning to appear on the horizon.

This is why the young mush heads can't think for themselves. They have been taught/conditioned not to think/analyze things for themselves but simply react to stimuli.

That much is exactly as George Carlin said. That has actually been done.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Yes, the religious right type.
    Have you even watched this video?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Matt Dillon (08-13-2020)

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"The difference between left and right of center...originated in the French parliament. The people left of center were liberals; the people right of center were conservatives. Broadly speaking. And generally speaking, people on...the right of center, are interested in property values, property, property rights. The rights and the rights of property. And generally speaking again – it's all generalized – the left-of-center people are more concerned with humans and human beings and human concerns; to the care of humans, not the care and worry about property rights. That's generally been true.

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"The owners of this country know the truth: It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

"The difference between left and right of center...originated in the French parliament. The people left of center were liberals; the people right of center were conservatives. Broadly speaking. And generally speaking, people on...the right of center, are interested in property values, property, property rights. The rights and the rights of property. And generally speaking again – it's all generalized – the left-of-center people are more concerned with humans and human beings and human concerns; to the care of humans, not the care and worry about property rights. That's generally been true.
    The French were the 1st Commies.

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    Have you even watched this video?

I can't claim to have listened to a lot of George Carlin but I have heard his bit on political correctness and clearly Jarod has no clue.

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,005 Times in 8,032 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,672 Times in 1,550 Posts

Some definite elements of truth there along with a very cynical view of the country. Regarding politicians we know winning elections and power is their number one priority. But you look at boards like this, or anywhere really where politics are discussed, and many put political parties and the politicians themselves on this pedestal. It's like they are family members who you will ride and die for. We associate these perfectionist ideals to political parties so we can feel better about ourselves for being a member of them. If Democrats and Republicans in D.C. ever paused for a minute and got together for a drink they would all laugh at most of us for how much control they have. This isn't to suggest in any way we shouldn't have vigorous political debate in our country. We should. But much of politics has gone well past that to the personal and people use it to define who they are.
    Agreed.

As in so many other cases, there is an element of truth mixed with an element of hyperbole. It's important to keep in mind that Carlin was first and foremost an entertainer and he was known for expressing his thoughts in a "no bullsht" style, which often times... contained a certain amount of bullshit.

That's probably because as a showman, he knew hyperbolic bullshit is what sells and puts asses in seats at his shows, not well reasoned, carefully thought out namby-pamby, milquetoast positions that take both sides into account.

IOW, realism.

Certainly, wealthy corporations have a louder voice and more influence in certain matters that come before the legislative branch than do average folk, but to say they flat out "own" Congress and have every judge and politician in their back pocket or that corporate America actively interferes in and purposely lowers the quality of public education, flies in the face of reality.

But people just love to be fed that kind of conspiratorial silliness and so they eat it up.

More asses in seats at Carlin shows.

I liked Carlin immensely. Listened to him as a kid in the 60's and 70's. Owned a few of his early albums. Class Clown, Take Offs and Put Ons, etc. My best friend and I could quote every bit he did word for word. He was one of our heroes.

But he should have stuck to a more general subject matter for his comedy. Towards his later years he started getting too political and just engaging in ranting speeches like the one in the clip rather than being funny like he used to be.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad For This Post:

cawacko (08-13-2020)

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Agreed.

As in so many other cases, there is an element of truth mixed with an element of hyperbole. It's important to keep in mind that Carlin was first and foremost an entertainer and he was known for expressing his thoughts in a "no bullsht" style, which often times... contained a certain amount of bullshit.

That's probably because as a showman, he knew hyperbolic bullshit is what sells and puts asses in seats at his shows, not well reasoned, carefully thought out namby-pamby, milquetoast positions that take both sides into account.

IOW, realism.

Certainly, wealthy corporations have a louder voice and more influence in certain matters that come before the legislative branch than do average folk, but to say they flat out "own" Congress and have every judge and politician in their back pocket or that corporate America actively interferes in and purposely lowers the quality of public education, flies in the face of reality.

But people just love to be fed that kind of conspiratorial silliness and so they eat it up.

More asses in seats at Carlin shows.

I liked Carlin immensely. Listened to him as a kid in the 60's and 70's. Owned a few of his early albums. Class Clown, Take Offs and Put Ons, etc. My best friend and I could quote every bit he did word for word. He was one of our heroes.

But he should have stuck to a more general subject matter for his comedy. Towards his later years he started getting too political and just engaging in ranting speeches like the one in the clip rather than being funny like he used to be.
    Interesting feedback, thanks for sharing!

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"The owners of this country know the truth: It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
    Based on the number of people from all over the world who immigrate to this country, including many who risks their lives to do so, I guess we've sold a false bag of goods to people globally.

But based on the quote people might as well give up right and not try?

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Based on the number of people from all over the world who immigrate to this country, including many who risks their lives to do so, I guess we've sold a false bag of goods to people globally.

But based on the quote people might as well give up right and not try?
    Depends on what they are trying for.... Working harder and harder at your Wall-Mart job will not make you Steve Jobs rich.

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

Taichiliberal (08-13-2020)

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Depends on what they are trying for.... Working harder and harder at your Wall-Mart job will not make you Steve Jobs rich.
    Very few people in the world get Steve Jobs rich. So if the American Dream is premised on being one of the top ten wealthiest people in the world or bust then I agree with Carlin's statement because it's not happening. However most don't use that definition of the American dream. Rather it's an opportunity to pursue your dreams and make a better life for you and your family.

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Very few people in the world get Steve Jobs rich. So if the American Dream is premised on being one of the top ten wealthiest people in the world or bust then I agree with Carlin's statement because it's not happening. However most don't use that definition of the American dream. Rather it's an opportunity to pursue your dreams and make a better life for you and your family.
    A better life? Better than what?

There are very few ways out for those born to extreme poverty. The "American Dream" is often used to keep people working hard for the wealthy, but there is very little opportunity out of that treadmill, without a quality education not generally offered in public schools.

LOCK HIM UP!