Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: ‘This is no longer a debate’: Fla sheriff bans deputies, visitors from wearing masks

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Bill,

What an idiot. OK, so he can find people who argue against mask wearing. That proves nothing. He is picking his own facts, not erring on the side of caution, not protecting public lives, but risking them on the chance that he's right. Which is basically no chance at all.
    He understands that masks do not stop a virus. He also understands that a healthy person does not infect anyone. He is also out protecting life and property. The Sheriff is correct in his action. Masks do not stop a virus.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Matt Dillon (08-13-2020), Truth Detector (08-13-2020)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    They’ve been told they work though lol.
    I am waiting for intelligent evidence that they do. How does a loose fitting mask without any eye protection prevent the spread???

Fauci on February 14: “There is no reason for anyone right now in the United States, with regard to coronavirus, to wear a mask,”

The esteemed New England Journal of Medicine provides the same warning to mask-wearers:

What is clear, however, is that universal masking alone is not a panacea. A mask will not protect providers caring for a patient with active Covid-19 if it’s not accompanied by meticulous hand hygiene, eye protection, gloves, and a gown. A mask alone will not prevent health care workers with early Covid-19 from contaminating their hands and spreading the virus to patients and colleagues. Focusing on universal masking alone may, paradoxically, lead to more transmission of Covid-19 if it diverts attention from implementing more fundamental infection-control measures.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Into the Night (08-13-2020)

5. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,447 Times in 7,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 509 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    What kinda crazy shit is going on in Fla??? WTF?? Someone die & appt this asshole mask cop for a day??

August 12, 2020 at 12:32 a.m. PDT
    On Tuesday, as Florida set a daily record for covid-19 deaths, Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods prohibited his deputies from wearing masks at work. His order, which also applies to visitors to the sheriff’s office, carves out an exception for officers in some locations, including hospitals, and when dealing with people who are high-risk or suspected of having the novel coronavirus.

In an email to the sheriff’s department shared with The Washington Post, Woods disputed the idea that masks are a consensus approach to battling the pandemic.

“We can debate and argue all day of why and why not. The fact is, the amount of professionals that give the reason why we should, I can find the exact same amount of professionals that say why we shouldn’t,” Woods wrote in the email, which was first reported by the Ocala Star-Banner.

A majority of epidemiologists and other health experts say face masks and social distancing are key to slowing the spread of the novel coronavirus, which has ravaged Florida. The state, which has recorded more than 542,000 cases and more than 8,600 deaths, added 277 more deaths on Tuesday; Marion County also set a record for daily deaths on Tuesday, with 13.

Police nationwide have faced scrutiny over inconsistent use of masks by officers, even in large cities like New York and Philadelphia where face coverings are mandatory. Many large departments only suggest officers wear masks, ABC News recently found, while those that require them, including the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, make exceptions for incidents where masks might impede officers in the line of duty.

Woods is among the first law enforcement officials to outright ban masks for his deputies, though.

He issued the order as Marion County and its largest city, Ocala, are mired in a politically charged debate over a mandatory mask rule. The Ocala City Council passed an emergency mask order last week, but Mayor Kent Guinn (R) vetoed it, citing in part a refusal by Ocala Police Chief Greg Graham to enforce the rule.

“My chief and I have talked about it. We will never write a fine. We’re just not going to do it,” Guinn told the Sky 97.3 FM on Monday.

The city council plans to meet Wednesday to consider overriding the veto, the Star-Banner reported.

Woods, meanwhile, told his deputies on Tuesday to stop wearing masks in most cases. While officers can still mask up in areas including the courthouse and county jail, they must immediately take off the face coverings afterward. Deputies working special events are also forbidden from wearing masks, Woods said.

All visitors to sheriff’s department buildings will be asked to take off their masks in the lobby, Woods said, linking that rule to the ongoing protests against police brutality.

“In light of the current events when it comes to the sentiment and/or hatred toward law enforcement in our country today, this is being done to ensure there is clear communication and for identification purposes of any individual walking into a lobby,” he wrote.

The sheriff argued working mask-free hasn’t led to a spike of infections in his 900-person department. “Since the beginning of this pandemic the operation of this office has not changed and no wearing of masks has been put in place,” he said.

But as the Star-Banner reported, the local jail has seen a serious spike, with at least 200 inmates testing positive, along with 36 jail employees, including officers. A nurse at the jail has also died of covid-19.

Should anyone challenge a deputy about wearing a mask, Woods wrote, “politely and professionally tell them I am not required to wear a mask nor will I, per the Order of the Sheriff.”

Woods, who participated in a phone conference with President Trump and other sheriffs on Tuesday, ended his missive by making it clear that he would brook no dissent.

“This is no longer a debate nor is it up for discussion,” he wrote. “Please keep in mind this entire pandemic is fluid and constantly changing the way things are done. However, my orders will be followed or my actions will be swift to address.”

Correction: This story originally misstated the number of covid-19 deaths reported in Florida on Tuesday, when 277 new deaths were recorded.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Dillon For This Post:

Truth Detector (08-13-2020)

7. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    not wearing a mask doesn't either.........

Wearing a mask reduces my chances you will infect me..... Not that you care about anyone else but yourself..
    Yet the experts disagree with that claim.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

8. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    masks work for the ugly, but beautiful people have no need for them.

only ugly people get covid.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Hermes Thoth (08-13-2020)

10. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

This Sheriff is betting lives on his guess.

He should be removed from office.

Obviously he does not want to protect and serve.

He wants to order and tell.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Negligence is a crime.
    What negligence?
    The Sheriff is not giving people the option; he's dictating them to not wear masks at work.
    He has that authority.
    He'd be just as liable as declaring STDs are a hoax and everyone can have unprotected sex on the full moon to avoid pregnancy.
    There is no liability in such a declaration. The option to have sex at such a time is up to the individual. It is their decision to take the risk. Contrivance. Strawman fallacy.

Masks do not stop a virus.

No argument presented. Denial of authority. Denial of engineering. Strawman fallacy. Redirection (pivot) fallacy. Fear mongering.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

13. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crowonapost View Post
    Yes they do. An intelligent use of face covering over the mouth and nose with enough fabric limits viral load. Limiting viral load is the key, especially in closed spaces.
    That you do not grasp physics is your stupidity. You did at least state that stupidity twice, so you are at least consistent.

(So let's talk physics) See this is how limiting viral load works with a mask,
    imagine a forest in which you have a team of archers firing into the forest. If one stands far enough back in the forest there is a very clear chance that a majority of those arrows will hit the trees and not you, that is a mask. The goal is to not eliminate every arrow but limit the amounts of arrows stabbing you to death. That is the point of limiting viral load.
    That is the point of a mask both if you are infected and if another is infected. If both dumb asses wear a mask, it limits the shots of (virus) arrows into the system giving a fighting chance for the body to survive and or not infect others and finally allowing our economy to actually work. Why do you hate capitalism?

Of course none of that you get or care about because you are fixated on getting the 'other' for stupid reasons that have nothing to do with intelligence, capitalism or realty.
    The experts say you're full of bullshit ClownOnaPost.

The New England Journal of Medicine on May 21, 2020:

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...rnal-medicine/

14. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,633 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Nordberg,

So, if anyone goes to the office, and is forced to remove their mask, that is not protecting and serving. That is putting public lives at risk.
    Agreed. It's incompetence and negligence. The state may have something to say about that. Again, I think this will be over in a week; either the Sheriff will reverse himself or be unemployed.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-13-2020)

16. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Ah, the master of the false paradigm strikes again
    Ah, the master of whiny memes strikes again. You're such a pompous assclown of disinformation. I do wish you were as smart as you believe you are. I also wish you had a scintilla of intelligence.

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

17. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    What false paradigm? Be specific. Bulverism fallacy.

Yes there is. UV light will destroy Covid19. So will immune systems. so will certain chemicals, including alcohol and sodium hypochlorite.

It's already contained. A 0.3% infection rate is insignificant. A 0.02% death rate is insignificant. (Source: CDC)

No thanks. You can keep New York, and the Big Rotten Apple of a city it contains.

Just like most States.

Florida also mandated masks, dumbass.

Personally, I don't blame that Sheriff. Masks do not stop a virus.

Yup. Despite mandated masks in Florida in populated areas. Also, Washington State lists 601 new cases this week, despite statewide mandated masks and most businesses shuttered.

That's right. They don't.

A fallacy is an error in logic, dumbass. You keep making them. Now you deny logic.

No argument presented. Special pleading fallacy. Argument from randU fallacy (you are making up numbers). Fear mongering. Denial of engineering. Circular argument fallacy (fundamentalistm).
    And to respond accordingly, masks are useless

Irrelevant, no one sticking a UV light up their ass

160,000 plus deaths and counting with still no preventive measures sure looks like it is contained (see false paradigm above)

Wasn’t for NY and other areas like it the US would look like Kansas, only mediocrity comes from gated communities

As the Sheriff showed us, Florida mandated masks, not

You and the Sheriff have something in common, both easy prey for demagoguery, and then echoing it

And look, three fallacies, and you only need one to deflect, I’d say you are going to exhaust the list, but there are over a hundred to choose from

18. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I do as often as possible. I'm literally still on the same tank of gas from last June. OTOH, the shipping rate of ammo is horrible and will get worse with Trump taking down the Post Office, so I have to go out to my local supplier.

19. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    While I think this is extreme and masks should be voluntary; how do masks prevent Covid spread? I am still waiting for the evidence that someone wearing a LOOSE mask without eye protection is somehow protected from the virus.

Help me out here Billy.
    He can't. He's stuck in his own fundamentalism. Anyone that disagrees with his religion is simply condemned as a 'Satan'. The Church of Covid is like the Church of Global Warming and the Church of Green. It has the same parent religion, the Church of Karl Marx. It uses the same tactics as the others, it tries to become a state religion like the others, and has the same ultimate goals of Utopia by implementing hell on Earth.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

21. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    You can be a mobile Petrie dish if you prefer. But a mask can save you. The science is clear and obvious. You are righty and oblivious. The facts are there.
    Why, because YOU say so???

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Truth Detector For This Post:

Stretch (08-13-2020)

23. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I strongly support evolution in action. If I were you, I'd go to as many Trump rallies and support groups as possible between now and the end of flu season the Election. Be sure to shake as many hands as possible then go order yourself some french fries; send me the bills, I'll go halfsies with ya!