Thread: cultural appropriation???

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,755 Times in 33,625 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Is it wrong to like those names?? Those names are not exclusively Russian either are they?? Slavic perhaps but Russian??

In the Latin languages there are many names, pronounced slightly differently but are essentially the same name/root.. Example the name Genevieve...... Italian?? French?? English? Spanish? Scottish?

I have a coworker & her name is Tatiana-she isn't Russian..... Russian names are becoming more popular because ppl like them, not because they want to be Russian or even care....... Perhaps shallow but ppl like what they like, as any would be parent can attest, it boils down to a lot of that most of the time....
    I think he was be facetious, Bill.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Cypress (08-12-2020)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Is it wrong to like those names?? Those names are not exclusively Russian either are they?? Slavic perhaps but Russian??

In the Latin languages there are many names, pronounced slightly differently but are essentially the same name/root.. Example the name Genevieve...... Italian?? French?? English? Spanish? Scottish?

I have a coworker & her name is Tatiana-she isn't Russian..... Russian names are becoming more popular because ppl like them, not because they want to be Russian or even care....... Perhaps shallow but ppl like what they like, as any would be parent can attest, it boils down to a lot of that most of the time....
    I was being a little tongue in cheek.

Yes, I almost wrote East Slavic, not Russian, but decided that would be geeking out too much

I knew a female named Misha. I guess her parent's thought it sounded like a really cool and unique name for their daughter.

I never had the heart to tell her that in Russian, Misha means Michael.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (08-12-2020)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,875 Times in 8,272 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 590 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    blacks have been looted over and over in the music world.

everyone stole little richards songs. he had a great attitude about it tho. he took it as a compliment and was just happy being unlynched. of course, he had to say that....
    What is "unlynched"? You mean he was happy not to have been lynched? Do you have any evidence that there was a possibility of that?

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,128 Times in 9,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    What is "unlynched"? You mean he was happy not to have been lynched? Do you have any evidence that there was a possibility of that?
    are you from earth?

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    blacks have been looted over and over in the music world.

everyone stole little richards songs. he had a great attitude about it tho. he took it as a compliment and was just happy being unlynched. of course, he had to say that....
    Very, very true......... [your favorite pat boon tune here]
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Yes, exactly and we should stop eating Chinese and Mexican food. Eat American! St. Patrick’s Day and Cinco de Mayo must be discontinued as well in this country.
    Ha!

Appreciate that you know when I am being tongue in cheek.

I always thought if the English-only advocates ever succeeded in passing a law, California would have to change the name of half it's cities.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-12-2020)

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Any thoughts on this??

Is this something new that ppl just realized or has it been happening in one form or another since the cradle of civilization??

cultural appropriation
    [cultural appropriation]
    NOUN
    cultural appropriation (noun) · cultural appropriations (plural noun)
    the unacknowledged or inappropriate adoption of the customs, practices, ideas, etc. of one people or society by members of another and typically more dominant people or society.
    "his dreadlocks were widely criticized as another example of cultural appropriation"
    One of the arguments I've read why cultural appropriation is wrong is it is the dominant (i.e. white) culture taking from minority cultures and profiting off it, while the minority culture doesn't, as well as making it and claiming it as their own. So basically corporations and white entertainers profit off the customs of black people and other minorities.

I'm not smart enough to tell you how to prevent that, if it is indeed deemed wrong, but that's the argument.

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,603 Times in 51,909 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Any thoughts on this??

Is this something new that ppl just realized or has it been happening in one form or another since the cradle of civilization??

cultural appropriation
    [cultural appropriation]
    NOUN
    cultural appropriation (noun) · cultural appropriations (plural noun)
    the unacknowledged or inappropriate adoption of the customs, practices, ideas, etc. of one people or society by members of another and typically more dominant people or society.
    "his dreadlocks were widely criticized as another example of cultural appropriation"
    Since civilization. Other words for it are "melting pot" and "assimilation".
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-12-2020)

13. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,603 Times in 51,909 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    One of the arguments I've read why cultural appropriation is wrong is it is the dominant (i.e. white) culture taking from minority cultures and profiting off it, while the minority culture doesn't, as well as making it and claiming it as their own. So basically corporations and white entertainers profit off the customs of black people and other minorities.

I'm not smart enough to tell you how to prevent that, if it is indeed deemed wrong, but that's the argument.
    That's an argument with no merit, IMO. It's racist and condemning those in the majority for something they were born with. Putting the shoe on the other foot doesn't fix the fact a person is still short one shoe. More building, less condemning please.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    On college campuses at least those terms are considered racial micro aggressions, basically not words/phrases that should be used.

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I was being a little tongue in cheek.

Yes, I almost wrote East Slavic, not Russian, but decided that would be geeking out too much

I knew a female named Misha. I guess her parent's thought it sounded like a really cool and unique name for their daughter.

I never had the heart to tell her that in Russian, Misha means Michael.
    Yes, I thought you were, but I wanted to say what I did, your post gave me that opportunity....... thanks.

LOL, actually I know a few of those Misha's...... One I find odd is several women from Mexico named Olga...... It is fairly popular there.

Are ppl that come here from Asia & pick up a name like Mike or George appropriating?? They just want something simple that ppl can say....

Are they appropriating if they wear dockers or other US brands??

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Ha!

Appreciate that you know when I am being tongue in cheek.

I always thought if the English-only advocates ever succeeded in passing a law, California would have to change the name of half it's cities.
    lol....... I think san jose should be changed then to .. WHen my daughter lived in the Midlands they would tease her about how she said it.......... I don't think any Americans say it right, hell I dunno if that clip is even acceptable..

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,755 Times in 33,625 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

lol....... I think san jose should be changed then to .. WHen my daughter lived in the Midlands they would tease her about how she said it.......... I don't think any Americans say it right, hell I dunno if that clip is even acceptable..
    I ask for the wishIcouldsayitsauce

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (08-12-2020)

20. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes, I thought you were, but I wanted to say what I did, your post gave me that opportunity....... thanks.

LOL, actually I know a few of those Misha's...... One I find odd is several women from Mexico named Olga...... It is fairly popular there.

Are ppl that come here from Asia & pick up a name like Mike or George appropriating?? They just want something simple that ppl can say....

Are they appropriating if they wear dockers or other US brands??
    Actually, when you get right down to it, the Russians stole Olga from the Swedes, it is the Slavic version of Helga. So we can trace your friend's namesake from Mexico to Russia to Sweden.

Obviously, everyone is free to choose whatever they want.

I tend to be more traditional. To me, it would be weird if my relatives had names like Carlos or Saul. There is not a single drop of Hispanic or Jewish blood in any of us!