Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    One tweet and now it's the 'Media goes after?'

What total exaggeration.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-11-2020)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

1.5% of the American population has tested positive.

What percentage of positives would be required to achieve herd immunity?

Looks like we are nowhere close.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sweden is nowhere near herd immunity, and they have more cases per capita than any other European country, and they rank #8 in the world in deaths per capita. The notion that Swedens experiment was a success is total, utter bullshit. They have nowhere near the population density of Italy. They should have never seen anywhere near the deaths per capita. Sweden's experiment was an unmitigated disaster.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-11-2020), Tranquillus in Exile (08-11-2020)

6. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,190 Times in 13,938 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

Right, we got over 160,000 people dead now in seven months and you think opening everything up is going help matters

What is occurring in Sweden isn’t what most understand as herding, at best it is a hybrid approach, and to date, it has mixed results if any.

As I’ve noted before, the examples we need on how to contain COVID is right before us, New York has a less than 1% infection rate while Florida’s is close to 13%, one shut down and reopened slowly while the other never really closed, couldn’t be any more obvious

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Darth,

One tweet and now it's the 'Media goes after?'

What total exaggeration.
    It’s true.

To a very large extent the media has ‘picked a side’ in this. Why couldn’t the Reuters headline read:

“Sweden showing promising signs of reaching herd immunity.”

Why are they trying so hard to make Cuomo look like some kind of epidemic genius instead of an unwitting beneficiary of herd immunity? No one in the media knows whether NYC is quiet because of Cuomo’s policy or herd immunity.

Either can be true. But the reporting by all the major media usual suspects—including Fox to a large degree, all goes in the same direction.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Truth Detector (08-11-2020)

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,999 Times in 8,369 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    There is nothing artificial about this recession and it’s going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.
    Oh course it artificial!!! What's wrong with you? This was brought on by idiots demanding we shut down the economy. It wasn't the result of economic forces so by definition it's artificial.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yakuda For This Post:

Darth Omar (08-11-2020), Truth Detector (08-11-2020)

11. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,999 Times in 8,369 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

It’s true.

To a very large extent the media has ‘picked a side’ in this. Why couldn’t the Reuters headline read:

Why are they trying so hard to make Cuomo look like some kind of epidemic genius instead of an unwitting beneficiary of herd immunity? No one in the media knows whether NYC is quiet because of Cuomo’s policy or herd immunity.

Either can be true. But the reporting by all the major media usual suspects—including Fox to a large degree, all goes in the same direction.
    You mean the guy who killed all those elderly people by forcing nursing homes to take in covid positive people?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yakuda For This Post:

Darth Omar (08-11-2020), Truth Detector (08-11-2020)

13. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,464 Times in 3,389 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,143 Times in 1,048 Posts

Always an excuse for why the lockdown doesn’t work lol.
    Nothing in that post suggested the lockdown doesn't work. But keep loling.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to martin For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-11-2020)

15. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Nothing in that post suggested the lockdown doesn't work. But keep loling.
    Lockdowns only work when they work?

That’s not very sciencey.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Truth Detector (08-11-2020)

17. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,058 Times in 3,413 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 640 Times in 608 Posts

It is actually a simple math problem. We have several areas that were hard hit with Covid; Bronx, Queens. By simply taking the deaths in those places divided by the population and extrapolating out we would over 1 million deaths in the US. And that is assuming that those places have reached herd immunity which they likely have not since there are still restrictions in place.

Location.... deaths ..... population.... deaths/million
    Bronx........4,868 ......1.418 million ..... 3,433
    Queens ....7,196 ...... 2.273 million ..... 3,165
    Kings ..... 7,261 ........2.533 million ..... 2,866
    Lombardy .. 16,829 ..10.06 million ...... 1,672 (Italian region that was in complete lock down after the surge.)

People keep pretending that Sweden did no measures. They implemented several - no groups over 50, no visitors to nursing homes, only table service in bars and restaurants to name a few. Sweden's economy had the same GDP drop as it's neighbors that did more of a shut down. I am curious which scientists say Sweden is on it's way to herd immunity. I see a lot of pundits saying that but I have seen no actual scientists.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-11-2020), Phantasmal (08-11-2020)

19. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Darth,

It’s true.

Please support the contention that NY has reached herd immunity with science?

Yours is the first claim of such I've heard.

New York has 451,000 cases for 19 million people.

451,000 / 19,000,000 = .024

.023 * 100% = 2.4%

I don't think 2.4% positive rate is enough for herd immunity.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-11-2020)

21. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    Oh course it artificial!!! What's wrong with you? This was brought on by idiots demanding we shut down the economy. It wasn't the result of economic forces so by definition it's artificial.
    Economy was heading into a recessionary period prior to the virus, and because some idiots out to kiss Trump’s ass didn’t shut down is one of the major reasons why the economy is where it is now, did you really think a pandemic let to run its course was not going to devastate the economy

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

23. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It’s true.

How can New York be herding when they completely shut down and have reopened in controlled stages? If herding worked NYC with its population density would not have been the epicenter of the virus in March

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

25. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    You mean the guy who killed all those elderly people by forcing nursing homes to take in covid positive people?
    First off, at the time, he was following the guidelines put out by the Trump Administration, and secondly, it is totally irrelevant to the exchange here, fact remains, NY, with a less than one percent infection rate today has a much better handle on the virus than a Florida where the same borders near thirteen percent, now which do you think is a model to follow

26. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-11-2020)

27. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    There is nothing artificial about this recession and it’s going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.
    Correct, nor is it created by politicians. It is created by a virus. Control the virus, end the recession. It's that simple. But it apparently is outside the grasp of the Trump and his cult. Try swinging the doors wide open again. See how that works out for you. It doesn't. Not as long as people are concerned about catching the virus. And they are.

Godzilla just arrived in New York. No one needs to close businesses to keep people out of Manhattan. The solution? Don't insist people go back to work. Kill the damn thing. This is not rocket science.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post: