Thread: Biden’s VP problem in one Tweet

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    He won't face backlash if he picks Warren. But I'd rather see her as Senate Majority leader and Chair of the Banking Committee than VP anyway.
    Mostly agree, but I'm not sure there wouldn't be some backlash, I think Warren hurt herself with minorities over the whole native american kerfuffle. Right or wrong, I think that rubbed people the wrong way. I think Warren either stays in the Senate or heads up CFPB. I think the latter is more likely. I think Biden is looking for a trusted adviser over a more political pick. Seems like Harris is almost a shoe in for AG, I think she's better suited for that role anyway. I think it's Rice or Bass. But we'll see. Harris is probably the best for the campaign trail, but that factor is muted this year. I'm betting on Rice.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    At the end of the day the goal is to win the election and anyone running for President is taking that into account when picking a VP. Biden could have just picked a woman VP and been done with it. But he made the determination that it was beneficial to his campaign to announce he would only a pick a woman.

I'm guessing if men were included people like Cory Booker and Julian Castro would have made his list of potential candidates. From an identity politics perspective where do white women rank compared to black or hispanic males? I don't know. But it's definitely possible he faces a backlash if he picks a Warren, Whitmer or Duckworth.
    Present day democrats are joined at the hip with identity politics so that excludes several moderate white devils lol. You catch the dog whistle in the image with the Tweet?

A moderate white devil could shore-up/protect the white working class from Trump; but then, will blacks turn out?

Staying with the identity politics theme, why would Hispanics feel anything but ‘left out’ of the equation?

Seems to be quite the dilemma.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,771 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    True story, a good friend on another message board was a big McCain guy. Back in the day, we actually had respectful disagreements with members of the opposite party. The day that Palin was picked, he was going on vacation, but said he would have his comments when he got back. When he came back, he announced he was voting for Obama. Clearly his dissatisfaction with far right factions had been building, but Palin put him over the edge. He said there was no way he could vote for someone if it meant that Palin might become President. That's how badly the Palin pick backfired. I guarantee he was not alone.
    We got rid of her as Governor of Alaska, best thing to happen because of her nomination.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Concart (08-10-2020)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pedo really cant win here.
    He prolly needs to pick Pocahontas but that pisses off too many.
    There are no suitable black girls.
    There are no suitable young white guys.
    Not really any good fits.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,628 Times in 21,489 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Biden's weakness is the lack of enthusiasm among young voters of color. You think a white woman with law enforcement experience is going to energize those voters?
    I think they are already very energized by Trump and his perceived racism, picking a non-black person won’t change that.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    Pedo really cant win here.
    He prolly needs to pick Pocahontas but that pisses off too many.
    There are no suitable black girls.
    There are no suitable young white guys.
    Not really any good fits.
    We don't care what you think.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Present day democrats are joined at the hip with identity politics so that excludes several moderate white devils lol. You catch the dog whistle in the image with the Tweet?

A moderate white devil could shore-up/protect the white working class from Trump; but then, will blacks turn out?

Staying with the identity politics theme, why would Hispanics feel anything but ‘left out’ of the equation?

Seems to be quite the dilemma.
    We don't care what you think either.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    After the suburban vote, and a women candidate fits the bill, being black is an extra appeal to encourage the minority vote to show up election day, makes sense politically
    There are plenty of black women who are very qualified for the job in the Democratic Party. After so many years of discrimination it would be very good for America to give one the job.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

Concart (08-10-2020)

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,361 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    I think they are already very energized by Trump and his perceived racism, picking a non-black person won’t change that.
    You haven't been paying much attention then. (And to be clear they aren't voting for Trump, but as many progressive commentators have stated he has a 'woke' problem and that is a 77 year old white man who's been in government most of his life is part of the problem and not the solution and thus the concern he won't motivate younger minorities out to the polls. That's Biden's challenge.)

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You haven't been paying much attention then. (And to be clear they aren't voting for Trump, but as many progressive commentators have stated he has a 'woke' problem and that is a 77 year old white man who's been in government most of his life is part of the problem and not the solution and thus the concern he won't motivate younger minorities out to the polls. That's Biden's challenge.)
    Biden turned out the black vote in South Carolina in a way Hilary never could. That is the sole reason he's the nominee. Biden does not have a problem with the black vote.

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I promise one thing, Biden could pick Jesus reborn and the Trumppers* would scream about what a horrible choice Biden has made, and how it’s sure to cost the Democrats the election.

14. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think most want Trump out and in a big way to prove the point... They know Biden is the only way to accomplish that.

They want it known that racism will get you trounced in an American General election.

15. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,361 Times in 14,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Biden turned out the black vote in South Carolina in a way Hilary never could. That is the sole reason he's the nominee. Biden does not have a problem with the black vote.
    Black voters in South Carolina tend to be older. They'll turn out. His challenge is with younger minority voters. I'm not saying Biden won't win and I'm not saying black voters won't turn out. What I am saying is progressives and black writers have said there is an enthusiasm gap between young minority voters and Biden and there concern is these voters don't show up at the polls.

16. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

There are plenty of black women who are very qualified for the job in the Democratic Party. After so many years of discrimination it would be very good for America to give one the job.
    Absolutely there are.

Problem is, they’re not on the left. The ones on the left have baggage—why do you think it’s taking so long?
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

17. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 727 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 372 Times in 345 Posts

He will be fine if he picks a smart woman with law enforcement and or government experience.

Joe is doing a good job building anticipation.

Generally VP makes little difference as long as voters can visualize her taking over if necessary. Palin hurt McCain but that’s the only time I’ve seen it matter much.
    Biden needs to pull a page from the Kennedy playbook and pick a southern Democrat.