Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Biden’s VP problem in one Tweet

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Default Biden’s VP problem in one Tweet

Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-10-2020), Earl (08-11-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,617 Times in 21,480 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    He will be fine if he picks a smart woman with law enforcement and or government experience.

Joe is doing a good job building anticipation.

Generally VP makes little difference as long as voters can visualize her taking over if necessary. Palin hurt McCain but that’s the only time I’ve seen it matter much.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Can't make a worse choice than Mike Pence....

Except for Sarah Palin.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-10-2020)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

At the end of the day the goal is to win the election and anyone running for President is taking that into account when picking a VP. Biden could have just picked a woman VP and been done with it. But he made the determination that it was beneficial to his campaign to announce he would only a pick a woman.

I'm guessing if men were included people like Cory Booker and Julian Castro would have made his list of potential candidates. From an identity politics perspective where do white women rank compared to black or hispanic males? I don't know. But it's definitely possible he faces a backlash if he picks a Warren, Whitmer or Duckworth.

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,617 Times in 21,480 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Can't make a worse choice than Mike Pence....

Except for Sarah Palin.
    Pence, for Trumps purposes worked. He is a kiss up fake religious nut, but that what Trump needed to trick his base.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,406 Times in 10,036 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    At the end of the day the goal is to win the election and anyone running for President is taking that into account when picking a VP. Biden could have just picked a woman VP and been done with it. But he made the determination that it was beneficial to his campaign to announce he would only a pick a woman.

I'm guessing if men were included people like Cory Booker and Julian Castro would have made his list of potential candidates. From an identity politics perspective where do white women rank compared to black or hispanic males? I don't know. But it's definitely possible he faces a backlash if he picks a Warren, Whitmer or Duckworth.
    He won't face backlash if he picks Warren. But I'd rather see her as Senate Majority leader and Chair of the Banking Committee than VP anyway.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    He will be fine if he picks a smart woman with law enforcement and or government experience.

Joe is doing a good job building anticipation.

Generally VP makes little difference as long as voters can visualize her taking over if necessary. Palin hurt McCain but that’s the only time I’ve seen it matter much.
    Biden's weakness is the lack of enthusiasm among young voters of color. You think a white woman with law enforcement experience is going to energize those voters?
    Last edited by cawacko; 08-10-2020 at 03:14 PM.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Does any person vote for, or against a candidate based upon their choice for VP? Absolutely not, with the possible exception of S Palin.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Good see that Darth is not only a racist, but a misogynist to boot. We shouldn't be surprised.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post

After the suburban vote, and a women candidate fits the bill, being black is an extra appeal to encourage the minority vote to show up election day, makes sense politically

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,614 Times in 10,679 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 617 Times in 606 Posts
    Blog Entries

"RACISM" and "SEXISM" DEFINED BY THE BIDEN VP SWEEPSTAKES....SKIN COLOR AND GENDER THE PRIMARY QUALIFICATIONS....
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    Does any person vote for, or against a candidate based upon their choice for VP? Absolutely not, with the possible exception of S Palin.
    True story, a good friend on another message board was a big McCain guy. Back in the day, we actually had respectful disagreements with members of the opposite party. The day that Palin was picked, he was going on vacation, but said he would have his comments when he got back. When he came back, he announced he was voting for Obama. Clearly his dissatisfaction with far right factions had been building, but Palin put him over the edge. He said there was no way he could vote for someone if it meant that Palin might become President. That's how badly the Palin pick backfired. I guarantee he was not alone.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-10-2020)

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    You are correct, although regionally, ethnically, racially, and now gender wise, the VP choice can be a plus in motivating certain segments of the population

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    After the suburban vote, and a women candidate fits the bill, being black is an extra appeal to encourage the minority vote to show up election day, makes sense politically
    This election is a referendum on Donald and only Donald.

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    This is a very unique time and racial issues are always at the forefront but especially so now. We saw what happened to Hillary Clinton when younger minority voters didn't turn out for her like they did Obama. Thus the call from some leaders in the black community for the pick to be a black woman.

At the end of day we'll see what happens. I'm not making any proclamations. But I do follow/read enough black and progressive writers to know it's important to a decent number of them that the selection be a black woman.