Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Could a liberal Trump* get elected?

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,884 Times in 21,652 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,675 Times in 5,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Jarod,

Or simply lose track of what it means. The term seems to be completely meaningless to DT.
    Conscious denial of reality is a form of hate, right? Or are you saying they are so stupid it is an unconscious denial of reality?

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,382 Times in 52,421 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Dutch Uncle,

Hasn't that ship already sailed?

Our dysfunction has things pretty screwed up already.

And I don't see any way around the right to free speech which would curtail hate peddlers.

They are going to whip up the worst emotions of the impressionable, sell product, and care not for the damage they do to our national psyche.

American unity is shattered and I can frankly see no way to rekindle it.
    No. Things are less than good, about 70% of Americans agree we're not on a good path but we're a long way from devolving into the hot wet mess some of our Euro allies have found themselves in.

As for unity; don't use the media as a reference, use your own eyes. Look at your neighbors. Go for a walk in the mall or Walmart, even a park or along a beach. There are a lot worse off places in the world and the US is still doing very well by its citizens. The major problem I see is that we have the potential to do so much more and aren't doing it.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-11-2020)

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

No, Dems aren't as stupid as Repukes.

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Conscious denial of reality is a form of hate, right? Or are you saying they are so stupid it is an unconscious denial of reality?
    Neither; it's a mental disorder. At best, just cowardice. People are scared and fear produces a lot of negative emotions.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Jarod (08-11-2020)

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    No, Dems aren't as stupid as Repukes.
    Link?

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Neither; it's a mental disorder. At best, just cowardice. People are scared and fear produces a lot of negative emotions.
    My mother told me last week she may buy a gun. She is 80 and a widow and no way in hell is she going to be attacked in her gated community
    on a golf course near the outer banks. She simply watches too much Fox. And she is not the kind of person who could pull a trigger anyway.

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I have a hard time conceptualizing it, there have been facts I have tried hard to pretend are not true in my life... but no matter how hard I try to pretend things are different than they are.. I am still stuck with facts that I really hate. Its hard for me to understand how people do it.

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

Doc Dutch (08-11-2020)

11. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

Doc Dutch (08-11-2020)

13. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I have a hard time conceptualizing it, there have been facts I have tried hard to pretend are not true in my life... but no matter how hard I try to pretend things are different than they are.. I am still stuck with facts that I really hate. Its hard for me to understand how people do it.
    That means you are a rational human being. Have you ever known IRL a person who is delusional? Mentally ill to the point where they actually believe the shit coming out of their mouths? We see this behavior on this forum but it's difficult to tell if they are just posting shit or really believe it. After reading their posts for awhile you can figure out who is a bullshitter and who actually believes what they write. It's not rocket science and it doesn't take a psych degree to recognize a person is "off".

In regards to the above, a common human reaction is for people to doubt themselves first and consider what the other person is saying, but after days or weeks of interacting with them another common human reaction is to recognize that the other person is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

14. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the link and I enjoyed reading it, but it doesn't support your premise "Dems aren't as stupid as Repukes." FWIW, just using the name-calling undercuts your own argument IMO

As for the link, it's an interesting prediction and I'm curious to see how it works out. I do agree the RNC (there is no "GOP" anymore) is destroying itself and has been since the mid-90s.

"If members of those groups continue to divide their two-party vote by the same margin as they did in 2016, when Hillary Clinton beat Trump by two percentage points, the Democratic nominee will beat the Republican nominee in 2020 by four, in 2024 by six, in 2028 by eight, and in 2032 by 10 points, based entirely on the fact that the groups (by race, ethnicity, by education level, etc.) that favor Republicans in the electorate will shrink relative to growing categories of voters who tend to favor Democrats. Trump has made no serious effort to broaden his appeal for 2020. Will that change, or “Is the Republican Party destroying itself?”"

15. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That means you are a rational human being. Have you ever known IRL a person who is delusional? Mentally ill to the point where they actually believe the shit coming out of their mouths? We see this behavior on this forum but it's difficult to tell if they are just posting shit or really believe it. After reading their posts for awhile you can figure out who is a bullshitter and who actually believes what they write. It's not rocket science and it doesn't take a psych degree to recognize a person is "off".

In regards to the above, a common human reaction is for people to doubt themselves first and consider what the other person is saying, but after days or weeks of interacting with them another common human reaction is to recognize that the other person is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
    I understand, I guess I have, all my life until now, understated how many people walking among us are mentally ill.

LOCK HIM UP!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jarod For This Post:

Doc Dutch (08-11-2020)

17. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I understand, I guess I have, all my life until now, underestimated how many people walking among us are mentally ill.

LOCK HIM UP!

18. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    My mother told me last week she may buy a gun. She is 80 and a widow and no way in hell is she going to be attacked in her gated community
    on a golf course near the outer banks. She simply watches too much Fox. And she is not the kind of person who could pull a trigger anyway.
    That's a fear reaction. Sure, Fox and other media sources play on fears to attract viewers, but her reaction is her own. Nobody wants to watch a news channel talking about the good works of Boy Scouts and Nuns 24/7. They want sex, violence and controversy.

My advice is to get her hooked on TLC reality tv shows like 90 Day Fiancé, Sister Wives or something.

19. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I understand, I guess I have, all my life until now, underestimated how many people walking among us are mentally ill.
    About 25% but that covers a lot of territory. It's like saying "25% of people are less than 100% healthy". Studies I've read indicate we all go through phases of being "off". Death of loved ones or a divorce can bring on depression but most people get over it. Some do not. Constantly living in fear is obviously a problem even though most of us have been worried, concerned or had the shit scared out of us at one time or another. 9/11 brought that into the homes of most Americans and the fear-result was the Patriot Act.

20. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

About 25% but that covers a lot of territory. It's like saying "25% of people are less than 100% healthy". Studies I've read indicate we all go through phases of being "off". Death of loved ones or a divorce can bring on depression but most people get over it. Some do not. Constantly living in fear is obviously a problem even though most of us have been worried, concerned or had the shit scared out of us at one time or another. 9/11 brought that into the homes of most Americans and the fear-result was the Patriot Act.
    Ive been worried or concerned and had the shit scared out of me, but no matter how hard I tried, I was never able to successfully pretend clear reality was different.

Now days 25% seems low.

LOCK HIM UP!