Thread: The irrational fear of COVID

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticguy View Post
    It may come as a surprise to you that there is difference between rational and irrational.
    Is covid real ? Yes. Are reasonable precautions needed ? Yes. Is freaking out because some "scientist" msnaged to get a cootie to fly 24 feet rational ? No.

Wearing a mask and staying 6 ft apart is all well and good but you are far more likely to pick it up from something you touch that someone who had cooties touched long before you. Thats why theyre NOW saying little kid speead it better tgan most. So WASH YOUR FUCKING HANDS occasionally or use napalm (purell) to manage that. And careful who you fuck and especially in public restrooms.
    I have friends who are obsessed with facemasks like they were some sort of magical suit of armor.
    Your facts are completely wrong. Studies now indicate that the likelihood of picking something up from a surface is fairly small compared to getting from close contact with an infected person. Once again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-10-2020)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 50 Times in 48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    'Young people don't have to worry as much'. Yes they do, unless they believe that how they impact others is irrelevant. EVERYONE should be worried.
    I dont disagree but the young have to worry less in the sense its far less likely they will die from it.

Every married couple needs to worry about bringing it home to their spouse and children if they have it...Everyone should be worried

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

It may come as a surprise to you that there is difference between rational and irrational.
    Is covid real ? Yes. Are reasonable precautions needed ? Yes. Is freaking out because some "scientist" msnaged to get a cootie to fly 24 feet rational ? No.

Wearing a mask and staying 6 ft apart is all well and good but you are far more likely to pick it up from something you touch that someone who had cooties touched long before you. Thats why theyre NOW saying little kid speead it better tgan most. So WASH YOUR FUCKING HANDS occasionally or use napalm (purell) to manage that. And careful who you fuck and especially in public restrooms.
    I have friends who are obsessed with facemasks like they were some sort of magical suit of armor.
    That’s the gist of the OP.

People take risks every day—it’s part of living. For young healthy people to fear going to the store ‘because they might die’ from a disease which for them, is as about as deadly as the flu, is irrational as it gets.

In fact, that kind of fear/irrational behavior is unhealthy. She should probably get Her vitamin D level checked out. I don’t mean to pick on her but we have a whole subset of society that thinks and behaves that way.

And it’s not going to go away over night.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,426 Times in 5,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,518 Times in 6,259 Posts
    Blog Entries

Daft Omar;

The irrational fear of COVID

Daft Omar 61 is back for another run.

Haw, haw............................haw.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,163 Times in 33,863 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,085 Times in 4,701 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    There’s a young woman on my FB feed who said she’s going out to the store for *the third time* since April.

I was dumbfounded. I can’t even imagine living like that.

This is in WV where COVID deaths are 78/million and average age of death is 80ish. Maybe a greater emphasis should be placed on statistics as opposed to—whatever it is they are being taught, in schools.

Just a suggestion.

Does she fear getting into her car to drive 25 miles to Walmart? Guarantee fear never enters into her head but *statistically* her odds of dying in a car wreck are greater than catching the China Virus from walking within three feet of someone at Walmart—even without a mask.

Sadly, this young woman is representative of a large class of people in this country. One of the biggest obstacles to getting this country back to a ‘pre-COVID’ state is going to be this class of people.

I suspect it will take years and not months.
    Who are you to tell people how to act during this pandemic? If this is what she needs to feel safe, it’s not for you to judge.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Rune (08-10-2020)

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,243 Times in 13,968 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

There’s a young woman on my FB feed who said she’s going out to the store for *the third time* since April.

I was dumbfounded. I can’t even imagine living like that.

This is in WV where COVID deaths are 78/million and average age of death is 80ish. Maybe a greater emphasis should be placed on statistics as opposed to—whatever it is they are being taught, in schools.

Just a suggestion.

Does she fear getting into her car to drive 25 miles to Walmart? Guarantee fear never enters into her head but *statistically* her odds of dying in a car wreck are greater than catching the China Virus from walking within three feet of someone at Walmart—even without a mask.

Sadly, this young woman is representative of a large class of people in this country. One of the biggest obstacles to getting this country back to a ‘pre-COVID’ state is going to be this class of people.

I suspect it will take years and not months.
    Comparing New York today with Florida or Texas today invalidates your opinion, one State locked down properly, thinking as your friend does, while the others went about it haphazardly, the consequences are what we see today

9. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-10-2020)

10. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

People take risks every day—it’s part of living. For young healthy people to fear going to the store ‘because they might die’ from a disease which for them, is as about as deadly as the flu, is irrational as it gets.

In fact, that kind of fear/irrational behavior is unhealthy. She should probably get Her vitamin D level checked out. I don’t mean to pick on her but we have a whole subset of society that thinks and behaves that way.

You brain dead fucktard.
    How does one person on your feed turn into a whole subset?
    Talk about anecdotal BULLSHiT!

Furthermore, as we race past 2000 deaths per day, how do you have the balls to continue making these idiotic threads?
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rune For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-10-2020)

12. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,835 Times in 8,249 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

How do you know she does't live with her elderly grandparents you judgemental fucktard?
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

13. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm not sure kids are getting violently ill and dying. I think that is more the 65 Plus crowd.
    Plenty have died and in Mississippi, an entire school is being quarantined after a student tested positive. During this pandemic, the youngsters were tucked away and didn't have much chance at infection. School and extra activities were ceasing long before th country locked down. We don't have a guideline to judge child infection rates during the pandemic due to being tucked away while the adults worked and screwed around how they pleased. When students make a return to school look for the proper test of their susceptibility. I'd say we're better not knowing and keeping them away.

14. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Plenty have died and in Mississippi, an entire school is being quarantined after a student tested positive. During this pandemic, the youngsters were tucked away and didn't have much chance at infection. School and extra activities were ceasing long before th country locked down. We don't have a guideline to judge child infection rates during the pandemic due to being tucked away while the adults worked and screwed around how they pleased. When students make a return to school look for the proper test of their susceptibility. I'd say we're better not knowing and keeping them away.
    CrocMan: "When students make a return to school look for the proper test of their susceptibility."
    Jack: I agree.

15. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Who are you to tell people how to act during this pandemic? If this is what she needs to feel safe, it’s not for you to judge.
    From the sounds of things he lives rural and non-touristy and has a piss poor perspective, he's judging others by. Basically, he can't tell the forest from the trees with his view but adamantly does for everyone anyway. OK, long way of calling him a clueless asshole that thinks he's an in the know public servant.

16. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

Exactly. Reasonable precautions are whats called for, not fear.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

17. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    As between the irrational fear of covid and the irrational disregard of covid my guess is the denser brain cells or on the side of the former.
    Seems like an illogical conclusion, noob. It appears that the latter have won the day, resulting in five million cases and 160,000 dead. So the numbers run contrary to your argument.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-10-2020)

19. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Exactly. Reasonable precautions are whats called for, not fear.
    If you don't even know how the virus spreads, why would anyone listen to you when it comes to what constitutes reasonable precautions?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-10-2020)

21. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,845 Times in 14,185 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

This whole business will be looked back on ‘not too kindly’ at some point.

I’ll guarantee it.
    in you medical opinion? clean up in operating room 2
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם