Members banned from this thread: Cypress, moon, domer76, Micawber, floridafan, LV426, Walt, Doc Dutch and Concart

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Bombs dropped on Japan saved millions of lives

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil Kasseri View Post
    How come there are no records of this alleged opposition?

Maybe so. But there is also the fact that not a single person advised him not to use the A-bombs.

Sure it was. Japan was still refusing to surrender.

No they weren't.
    Why are you naming yourself after an H-bomb test in 1975?
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 08-12-2020 at 06:24 AM.

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

What is truly amazing to me is FDR didn't tell his vice president Harry Truman about the Manhattan Project, that's quite astonishing to think that 130,000 people working on the Manhattan Project knew about it but not the VP. I think that if FDR had stuck with Henry Wallace as VP then maybe there would have been a different outcome.

3. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    Whilst I still think the A-bombs on Japan were unnecessary I should oint out that Americans never experienced mass bombing campaigns on their cities like London, Sheffield, Southampton, Belfast, Coventry, Hull and Liverpool or indeed Germany.
    I believe every American is aware we have not been carpet bombed yet........

The horrors of war are soon lost on later generations so I dunno how far experience comes into play~especially given modern propaganda techniques..

One thing I find amazing still is how much Germany was lambasted for indiscriminate murder/bombing of innocent civilians & only a few years later the UK & USA were doing exactly the same...
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

4. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

What is truly amazing to me is FDR didn't tell his vice president Harry Truman about the Manhattan Project, that's quite astonishing to think that 130,000 people working on the Manhattan Project knew about it but not the VP. I think that if FDR had stuck with Henry Wallace as VP then maybe there would have been a different outcome.
    Excellent point..........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

5. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,129 Times in 11,701 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Tell that to my Japanese friend's grandparents and great-grandparents.
    Gladly. They will probably apologize for the war, like so many others have in Japan as well.

6. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    there were plenty of militrary people who did not want the bomb used. https://www.historycrunch.com/reason...f-japan.html#/
    There were plenty of non-military people who did not want the bomb used as well. So?
    Truman had his mind made up.
    Yup. He was the Commander in Chief at the time too. His decision was final.
    It was not needed.
    Speculation, based on contrivances.
    The Japanese were already in peace negotiations.
    No, they weren't. The Japanese did not unconditionally surrender until AFTER the use of the bombs.
    These people did not include religious leaders, scientists and many other Americans.
    The Japanese are not American.
    America was not only the first country to drop an Abomb in the middle of a city, but we did it twice.
    Yup. And we will do it again, should the need arise, as determined by the Commander in Chief (the President of the United States).

7. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    MAYBE SOMEONE SHOULD DROP BOMBS ON YOUR HOUSE & SAVE MILLIONS......

It is always easy to sacrifice the lives of other ppl to presumably save lives of our loved ones, especially since their lives are of much less value..........
    You have never fought in a war, obviously.

8. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Whilst I still think the A-bombs on Japan were unnecessary I should oint out that Americans never experienced mass bombing campaigns on their cities like London, Sheffield, Southampton, Belfast, Coventry, Hull and Liverpool or indeed Germany.
    Dresden, Germany was so badly bombed, the resulting firestorms turned the streets into glass.

Nasty.

Was the use of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki necessary? That is not for us to decide. It's done. Truman decided it was the least cost alternatives to force the Japanese to unconditionally surrender. It worked.

9. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Why are you naming yourself after an H-bomb test in 1975?
    Why not? You have a problem with someone's moniker now?

10. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The VP is not informed of top secret projects until he becomes acting President. Most people working on the project didn't know what the project was, as a whole. All they knew was the little piece they were working on. A janitor didn't need to know anything. An electronics technician didn't need to know anything about nuclear fission or the bomb design or its capability. He just needed to get his radio altimeter circuit to work. Some guy working on explosives chemistry didn't know what the explosives were used for.

Most people AT the Manhattan project didn't know what the project actually was.

Those that DID know what the project was about were told to never use the word 'bomb', and instead were to told to call the thing the 'device' or the 'gadget'. That way the guy running the motor pool didn't need to know, and didn't know. Even the nuclear material was delivered in secret. Most in the Manhattan project didn't even know that material existed at their site.

Even the pilots were not told what the project was about until the last minute. The crews of those planes weren't told until they were in the air on the way to the target.

You don't blab about top secret projects to anyone. EVERYONE is told on a need to know basis, when, and if, the need arises. That includes the VP.

11. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I believe every American is aware we have not been carpet bombed yet........

The horrors of war are soon lost on later generations so I dunno how far experience comes into play~especially given modern propaganda techniques..

One thing I find amazing still is how much Germany was lambasted for indiscriminate murder/bombing of innocent civilians & only a few years later the UK & USA were doing exactly the same...
    Germany started the war.

12. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,834 Times in 17,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    There were plenty of non-military people who did not want the bomb used as well. So?

Yup. He was the Commander in Chief at the time too. His decision was final.

Speculation, based on contrivances.

No, they weren't. The Japanese did not unconditionally surrender until AFTER the use of the bombs.

The Japanese are not American.

Yup. And we will do it again, should the need arise, as determined by the Commander in Chief (the President of the United States).
    You are wrong. https://www.thenation.com/article/wo...bed-hiroshima/ There were lots of powerful people against using the bomb. From Ike, Leahy, Arnold, Nimitz and many more. We all know history is written by the winner. So American historians and propagandists went to work justifying the bomb. When I was a kid, it was all a "defensive" use to save soldiers. Japan was through.
    It was not.

13. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,785 Times in 17,104 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,344 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gladly. They will probably apologize for the war, like so many others have in Japan as well.
    Of course. It's the culture. You missed the point as usual.

14. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You have never fought in a war, obviously.
    Well if there was a war, I was ready........

15. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Germany started the war.
    Thanks for the answer to the question no one asked..