Thread: China threatens countermeasures as Taiwan prepares for U.S. visit

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Werewolf China threatens countermeasures as Taiwan prepares for U.S. visit

SO what is the point of going there other than to piss off the CCP??

Will there be more & what are they going to do about it??

Stop buying beans??

Cate Cadell and Ben Blanchard
    August 5, 2020, 10:09 PM
    By Cate Cadell and Ben Blanchard

BEIJING/TAIPEI (Reuters) - China on Thursday threatened to take countermeasures over a trip to Taiwan by U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar, as the Chinese-claimed island geared up for its highest-level U.S. official visit in four decades.

The visit, which begins on Sunday, adds to tensions between Beijing and Washington over everything from trade and human rights to the novel coronavirus pandemic. China calls Taiwan the most sensitive and important issue in its bilateral ties with the United States.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin told a daily briefing in Beijing that any attempt to deny or challenge the "one China" principle, which states that Taiwan is part of China, would end in failure.

"China will take strong countermeasures in response to the U.S. behaviour," Wang said, referring to Azar's visit.

While he gave no details, China last month said it would impose sanctions on Lockheed Martin for involvement in U.S. arms sales to Taiwan.

Taiwan has batted away China's criticism, saying Beijing has no right to comment.

Washington broke off official ties with Taipei in 1979 in favour of Beijing. The Trump administration has made strengthening its support for the democratic island a priority, and boosted arms sales.

Azar, who is scheduled to meet President Tsai Ing-wen, is coming to strengthen economic and public health cooperation with Taiwan, and support Taiwan's international role in fighting the pandemic.

Taiwan is locked out of most global agencies, such as the World Health Organization, due to the objections of China, which views the island as a Chinese province that is not entitled to any of the rights that statehood confers.

Taiwan Centres for Disease Control Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang said Azar and members of the U.S. delegation would be tested for coronavirus before leaving for Taiwan, and again upon entry at the airport.

Only if they are negative will they be allowed in.

more @ source
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

good.
    considering the CCP crackdown on Hong Kong it needs to be demonstrated we still support Taiwan as a legit government

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

ExpressLane (08-06-2020), Matt Dillon (08-07-2020), Stretch (08-06-2020)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,845 Times in 14,185 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    good.
    considering the CCP crackdown on Hong Kong it needs to be demonstrated we still support Taiwan as a legit government
    Taiwan is a pimple on Asia's ass, going to war over them is not gonna happen
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,580 Times in 9,988 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 873 Times in 830 Posts

So,.... we should allow China to determine United States foreign policy now? Talk about WEAK. No,....we as a free and independent sovereign nation will send representatives to any nation we want to.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stone For This Post:

Matt Dillon (08-07-2020)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

don't worry Bill.......Joe will win in November and China will be fully appeased........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

good.
    As a legit gov, but not country...... You see the inherent weakness there........ I think only a handful of countries recognize them, & the CCP is putting non-stop pressure/manipulation on everyone...

Personally I am not opposed to antagonizing them but only if there is gain for us.......

If there is an advantage for us, what do you believe it is..??
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,845 Times in 14,185 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    don't worry Bill.......Joe will win in November and China will be fully appeased........
    Coming from a rube who never served in the military you are eager to send other peoples kids off to war, how about sending the imbecile who makes shapes for food to join up
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,784 Times in 17,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rattling a dragon in his lair is always a good idea.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I wonder what China has on Biden....

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I wonder? Does China send dignitaries to say...Iran? Why yes,...yes they do. LOL

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stone For This Post:

Matt Dillon (08-07-2020)

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I wonder? Does China send dignitaries to say...Iran? Why yes,...yes they do. LOL
    I agree we should not kowtow to the ccp like say the NBA did & many others......

But IMHO when we are going to engage them it must always be towards our advantage..........

Every move they make is highly calculated to extract advantage, we must do the same..

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Taiwan is a pimple on Asia's ass, going to war over them is not gonna happen
    where did i say anything about a war? we can run the Taiwan Strait, give them legitimacy etc.
    Beijing neds to see we are committed to ensuring Taiwan's autonomy/sovereignty

16. The Following User Says Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Matt Dillon (08-07-2020)

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    As a legit gov, but not country...... You see the inherent weakness there........ I think only a handful of countries recognize them, & the CCP is putting non-stop pressure/manipulation on everyone...

Personally I am not opposed to antagonizing them but only if there is gain for us.......

If there is an advantage for us, what do you believe it is..??
    he advantage is not rolling over and playing dead for Chinese moves.
    they need to get pushed back on ANY military expansions -including but not limited to the SChina Sea

we can't pick and choose -we have to stay united, and try to get Taiwan into international orgs etc

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

he advantage is not rolling over and playing dead for Chinese moves.
    they need to get pushed back on ANY military expansions -including but not limited to the SChina Sea

we can't pick and choose -we have to stay united, and try to get Taiwan into international orgs etc
    Well you know the USA has just let their chips fall where they may.......... Getting them back in those organizations is going to be monumental.........

Who is the we??

If by "we" you include our allies & partners then yea, I agree..... & I have been against trumps hostility towards them & the animosity from the get..........

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Well you know the USA has just let their chips fall where they may.......... Getting them back in those organizations is going to be monumental.........

Who is the we??

If by "we" you include our allies & partners then yea, I agree..... & I have been against trumps hostility towards them & the animosity from the get..........
    Trump isn't hostile, he demands reciprocity -how is that "hostile?"
    Demanding the EU drop protectionism,that Canada open their dairy market, that Mexico stop stealing manufacturing-all done by NAFTA 2

Biden is the status quo. China stays in the WTO and we get screwed with the developing nation status
    EU bans our agri, Japan our cars etc etc

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anatta For This Post:

Matt Dillon (08-07-2020), Stretch (08-06-2020)