Members banned from this thread: The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, Irish, CFM, tsuke, Sailor, TOP, Eagle_Eye, volsrock, Into the Night, gfm7175, artichoke, Earl, Grokmaster, saltydancin, deadcatbounce, Hawkeye10 and FreeSpeech

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiroshima anniversary

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,426 Times in 5,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,504 Times in 6,248 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Hiroshima anniversary

' I come and stand at every door
    But none can hear my silent tread
    I knock and yet remain unseen
    For I am dead for I am dead

I'm only seven though I died
    In Hiroshima long ago
    I'm seven now as I was then
    When children die they do not grow

My hair was scorched by swirling flame
    My eyes grew dim my eyes grew blind
    Death came and turned my bones to dust
    And that was scattered by the wind

I need no fruit I need no rice
    I need no sweets nor even bread
    I ask for nothing for myself

All that I need is that for peace
    You fight today you fight today
    So that the children of this world
    Can live and grow and laugh and play'

Nazim Hikmet

Assholes.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

2. The Following User Groans At moon For This Awful Post:

Earl (08-06-2020)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Post:

Concart (08-06-2020), Phantasmal (08-06-2020), signalmankenneth (08-08-2020), ThatOwlWoman (08-06-2020)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,245 Times in 2,336 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 162 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post

Assholes.
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Callinectes For This Post:

Earl (08-06-2020)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think it is appropriate to use this anniversary to talk about the difficult decisions that leaders make in dark times. Truman's decision cost the lives of 120,000 Japanese, and left tens of thousands of others with fatal illnesses or conditions. It was an absolutely horrific weapon. Whether you agree with Truman's decision or not, you cannot argue that his decision prevented an invasion of Japan that would have also been horrific for both sides. Truman famously said 'the buck stops here', and he never shirked his responsibility for this decision. Enough said.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Anvil Kasseri (08-09-2020), Cypress (08-06-2020), ThatOwlWoman (08-06-2020)

8. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,386 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

My dad worked on the Manhattan Project. He never spoke about it until we were adults. We happened to be talking about this sad anniversary one day when he told us that. He felt guilty for decades but he also said that it was war, and it had to be done.

I guess the best that can be said is that as volatile and angry as the world gets from time to time, so far none of us have used this weapon since.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Anvil Kasseri (08-09-2020), Cypress (08-06-2020)

10. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,676 Times in 27,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

This country has not done a good job reflecting on the victims and human consequences of the two nuclear attacks.

I do not know how the Japanese were going to be coerced into unconditional surrender, short of invasion of the home islands. The Japanese were tenacious and fanatical in fighting to the last man on every Pacific island we engaged them. They would refuse to surrender or even be taken prisoner. They were willing to endure horrific fire bombings of their cities

The Soviets may have destroyed the Japanese Army in Manchuria, but that alone could not have been sufficient to induce unconditional surrender.

I am not sure Americans would even have had the stamina to endure an invasion of the home islands. Truman probably made the cold blooded and inhumane decision that this was the best way to bring the war to a rapid conclusion

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Anvil Kasseri (08-09-2020), Concart (08-06-2020), ThatOwlWoman (08-06-2020)

12. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    This country has not done a good job reflecting on the victims and human consequences of the two nuclear attacks.

I do not know how the Japanese were going to be coerced into unconditional surrender, short of invasion of the home islands. The Japanese were tenacious and fanatical in fighting to the last man on every Pacific island we engaged them. They would refuse to surrender or even be taken prisoner. They were willing to endure horrific fire bombings of their cities

The Soviets may have destroyed the Japanese Army in Manchuria, but that alone could not have been sufficient to induce unconditional surrender.

I am not sure Americans would even have had the stamina to endure an invasion of the home islands. Truman probably made the cold blooded and inhumane decision that this was the best way to bring the war to a rapid conclusion
    Just a small note, these were atomic bombs, not nuclear weapons, nukes are far more powerful, but it's not a terribly important distinction. That being said, I cannot imagine how difficult the decision to use this weapon must have been. From my viewpoint, I think it would have been more humane to leave this to the fighting forces, regardless of the death toll. Civilian casualties should be avoided whenever possible. Hindsight is 20/20, but you have to wonder if Truman could have brought Japan to heel by making an isolated demonstration of the bomb. Probably not, since they were unmoved by the first attack, but the collective conscious of the nation might have been eased at least somewhat had we tried that. Debating and discussing this is is an appropriate and important exercise. I think what we all agree on is that this was an incredibly difficult decision, and Truman did not foist the decision or the responsibility on someone else. That is leadership.

13. The Following 2 Users Groan At Concart For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-06-2020), Earl (08-06-2020)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Cypress (08-06-2020), ThatOwlWoman (08-06-2020)

15. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Just a small note, these were atomic bombs, not nuclear weapons, nukes are far more powerful, but it's not a terribly important distinction. That being said, I cannot imagine how difficult the decision to use this weapon must have been. From my viewpoint, I think it would have been more humane to leave this to the fighting forces, regardless of the death toll. Civilian casualties should be avoided whenever possible. Hindsight is 20/20, but you have to wonder if Truman could have brought Japan to heel by making an isolated demonstration of the bomb. Probably not, since they were unmoved by the first attack, but the collective conscious of the nation might have been eased at least somewhat had we tried that. Debating and discussing this is is an appropriate and important exercise. I think what we all agree on is that this was an incredibly difficult decision, and Truman did not foist the decision or the responsibility on someone else. That is leadership.
    I assumed that any weapon using the energy of nuclear fission was a nuclear weapon - but I am not trained in particle physics, so I defer to you.

The decision to wage war on civilians was made way before 1945. The battlefield stalemate of WW1 was still fresh in memories. I hate to say this, but I think the reason Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan were coerced into unconditional surrenders is because the allies made the strategic decision early in the 1940s to wage total war on the Axis powers -- to bring so much pain and suffering to their nations and peoples that unconditional submission would look preferable to continued resistance, or even to demanding terms for surrender.

16. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,386 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hard to even imagine the Toadstool coming close, isn't it?

We only had three bombs; one was tested at Alamogordo. As you pointed out, it took the use of the remaining two devices to push Japan into surrender. If we had tested another publicly, that would have left only one.

I think by "nuclear weapons," you mean thermonuclear, or hydrogen, bombs which use fusion rather than fission. The uranium-based fission devices are also referred to as nuclear weapons.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

17. The Following 2 Users Groan At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-06-2020), Earl (08-06-2020)

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Anvil Kasseri (08-09-2020), Cypress (08-06-2020), Doc Dutch (08-06-2020)

19. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I assumed that any weapon using the energy of nuclear fission was a nuclear weapon - but I am not trained in particle physics, so I defer to you.

The decision to wage war on civilians was made way before 1945. The battlefield stalemate of WW1 was still fresh in memories. I hate to say this, but I think the reason Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan were coerced into unconditional surrenders is because the allies made the strategic decision early in the 1940s to wage total war on the Axis powers -- to bring so much pain and suffering to their nations and peoples that unconditional submission would look preferable to continued resistance, or even to demanding terms for surrender.
    I agree with this, the firebombing of Dresden being perhaps the most egregious example. The abhorrent behavior of the allies after World War I was a major factor in triggering the second war. At least we got the post war part (mostly) right, but there are no clean hands or good guys in World War II.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Cypress (08-06-2020), ThatOwlWoman (08-06-2020)

21. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,418 Times in 52,443 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    ' I come and stand at every door
    But none can hear my silent tread
    I knock and yet remain unseen

I'm only seven though I died
    In Hiroshima long ago
    I'm seven now as I was then
    When children die they do not grow

My hair was scorched by swirling flame
    My eyes grew dim my eyes grew blind
    Death came and turned my bones to dust
    And that was scattered by the wind

I need no fruit I need no rice
    I need no sweets nor even bread
    I ask for nothing for myself

All that I need is that for peace
    You fight today you fight today
    So that the children of this world
    Can live and grow and laugh and play'

Nazim Hikmet

Assholes.
    Hiroshima day AKA "Remember Pearl Harbor Motherfuckers?"

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

22. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Hard to even imagine the Toadstool coming close, isn't it?

We only had three bombs; one was tested at Alamogordo. As you pointed out, it took the use of the remaining two devices to push Japan into surrender. If we had tested another publicly, that would have left only one.

I think by "nuclear weapons," you mean thermonuclear, or hydrogen, bombs which use fusion rather than fission. The uranium-based fission devices are also referred to as nuclear weapons.
    Fair point, fission vs. fusion is the distinction. I know the usage is more colloquial than scientific. The point about the limited supply was probably the deciding factor. There was no margin for error. Today, that demonstration of force would work, in 1945, probably not. I wish we would have tried. I'm guessing all those involved in dropping the bombs would have slept better. But that is hindsight.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (08-06-2020)

24. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agreed. Specifically 1940 when Germany attacked Britain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blitz
    The Germans conducted mass air attacks against industrial targets, towns, and cities, beginning with raids on London towards the end of the Battle of Britain in 1940 (a battle for daylight air superiority between the Luftwaffe and the Royal Air Force over the United Kingdom). By September 1940, the Luftwaffe had lost the Battle of Britain and the German air fleets (Luftflotten) were ordered to attack London, to draw RAF Fighter Command into a battle of annihilation.[5][6] Adolf Hitler and Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring, commander-in-chief of the Luftwaffe, ordered the new policy on 6 September 1940. From 7 September 1940, London was systematically bombed by the Luftwaffe for 56 of the following 57 days and nights.[7] Most notable was a large daylight attack against London on 15 September.

25. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Fair point, fission vs. fusion is the distinction. I know the usage is more colloquial than scientific. The point about the limited supply was probably the deciding factor. There was no margin for error. Today, that demonstration of force would work, in 1945, probably not. I wish we would have tried. I'm guessing all those involved in dropping the bombs would have slept better. But that is hindsight.
    Agreed the limited supply was a major deciding factor. Another factor was they didn't know if the Little Boy bomb would work since only the Trinity implosion device was tested and only once. Again due to lack of fissionable material.

26. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Callinectes View Post
    Agreed. Moon is not an American and brings some foreign hate towards America in his posts.

27. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed. Specifically 1940 when Germany attacked Britain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blitz
    The Germans conducted mass air attacks against industrial targets, towns, and cities, beginning with raids on London towards the end of the Battle of Britain in 1940 (a battle for daylight air superiority between the Luftwaffe and the Royal Air Force over the United Kingdom). By September 1940, the Luftwaffe had lost the Battle of Britain and the German air fleets (Luftflotten) were ordered to attack London, to draw RAF Fighter Command into a battle of annihilation.[5][6] Adolf Hitler and Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring, commander-in-chief of the Luftwaffe, ordered the new policy on 6 September 1940. From 7 September 1940, London was systematically bombed by the Luftwaffe for 56 of the following 57 days and nights.[7] Most notable was a large daylight attack against London on 15 September.

Yes, both sides waged total war.
    Hitler's goal in the east was the annihilation and forced removal of Slavic peoples to make space for German colonization