Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071727374 LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1098

Thread: Atheists more Intelligent

1. #1036 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 183 Times in 177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I don't own a McDonald's and have no desire to be in the restaurant business. Why do you believe fabricating stories about others is a viable defense of your legal career, counselor?
    You just lied again about this being a court of law, and mischaracterized my profession. Turnabout is fair play. You don't know what you're talking about, and you're a fucking hypocrite to boot.

At what point are you embarrassed by yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    Actually I have a nice penis

2. #1037 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,628 Times in 51,918 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    You just lied again about this being a court of law, and mischaracterized my profession. Turnabout is fair play. You don't know what you're talking about, and you're a fucking hypocrite to boot.

At what point are you embarrassed by yourself?
    If that were true, counselor, you can quote where I said it was a "court of law". As for your profession, what are you claiming I mischaracterized.

I doubt you'll ever win a case in court simply by lying and slandering.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #1038 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 183 Times in 177 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    If that were true, counselor, you can quote where I said it was a "court of law". As for your profession, what are you claiming I mischaracterized.

I doubt you'll ever win a case in court simply by lying and slandering.
    You're fucking embarrassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    Actually I have a nice penis

4. #1039 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,628 Times in 51,918 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    You're fucking embarrassing.
    Was someone out of order? LOL

Dude, all you have is mouth. I have no doubt you've never spent a day before the jury. You're the schmuck schlepping his boss's bags, the real lawyer, and taking notes.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

5. #1040 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

religion is considered an instinct, and intelligence the ability to rise above one's instincts
    I never heard religion being labeled as an instinct. Intriguing article. I say that many of us sort of already saw this trend but of course theres always exceptions and you can't boldly say that all atheists are more intelligent than religious people, it probably has a curve to it percentage wise, the higher you climb intellectually the less people are religious.

6. #1041 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    What a couple of chowder heads these guys are...

They made a study of 63 papers previously published to get their results. That is, they used a set of statistics to get a "new" statistical result. This appears to be a case of Data dredging making it a fallacy of statistics.

We have no way of knowing if the previous studies all used the same or very similar methods to reach their results as but one example of the problem using the method these two psychiatrists did. We don't know how many papers have been written on this subject either or if the data was cherry picked for their study.

Bottom line, they proved nothing but the obvious fact they aren't very good with statistics.

I don't know if their hypothesis is correct or not, but they didn't prove anything using their study towards it.
    You could be right but of course you can't be sure until you check those assumptions. You haven't disproven them but have made a good case for doubt about the thoroughness of their research. I will personally side with this articles conclusion because it very much echoes my personal observations on this matter.

7. #1042 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    From the same publication:

"A new study has suggested that atheism is doomed because religious people have higher rates of reproduction.
    Due to their lack of belief in contraception, religious believers are having more children than atheists, which could ultimately result in the end of atheism, the study suggests.
    The findings fly in the face of popular discourse - and scientists’ predictions - which implies fewer and fewer people are religious nowadays."

Does this mean there will be less smart people?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a7626846.html
    That sounds laughable. Poor people have always through history had more children than wealthy people and people in the rule of power. Still, there are wealthy people in power and yes, most of them have less children than their poor reflections.

8. #1043 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Your friend needs to go study the various religions and come to a conclusion on her/his own before it's too late.
    I KNOW that YOU wouldn't ask such a question for yourself because you have no sincere interest
    in the topic. It's just another jumping off point for a fight that you've enjoyed instigating for the past few years.
    Peace
    One must have to taste all of the poisons himself because it is illegal to disseminate knowledge and truth to prevent redundancy in action.

9. #1044 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Atheists being smarter than religious people has been known for a very long time. https://www.livescience.com/59361-wh...telligent.html Back in ancient Greece and Rome, it was known.
    This article is a reiteration of the article discussed in this thread. Both articles likely cited the same source, probably a science paper released at an institution. And seeing how both sources are reputable news agencies with large readerships it's safe to say this study was legit and its conclusions worth considering, not doubting.

10. #1045 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    atheists have been trying to change the definition of atheism for the last twenty years.......Agnostics have disbelief (I don't know if there is a god).....Atheists assert a denial (there are no gods)........there are also the merely apathetic who don't give a fuck whether there are gods or not........do you even know what you believe?......
    So, to separate oneself from the stew of confusion an atheist should start using "non-religious" as a term to define their position.

11. #1046 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scientist View Post
    So, to separate oneself from the stew of confusion an atheist should start using "non-religious" as a term to define their position.
    Only crusading theists talk about atheism.

12. #1047 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I did a Bing search with my Edge browser to find how common this article or subject matter was and what reputable news sources published it. Here is what I found.

Live Science
    Why Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Religious People?
    https://www.livescience.com/59361-wh...telligent.html

Huffington Post
    Religious People Branded As Less Intelligent Than Atheists In Provocative New Study
    https://www.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_3750096

Daily Mail U.K.
    Atheists 'have higher IQs': Their intelligence 'makes them more likely to dismiss religion as irrational and unscientific'
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cientific.html

Neuroscience News
    Are Religious People Really, On Average, Less Smart than Atheists?
    https://neurosciencenews.com/religio...lligence-8391/

Express U.K.
    Atheists are 'more intelligent than religious people', claims study
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...e-claims-study

UPI
    Intelligent people more likely to be atheist, study finds
    https://www.upi.com/blog/2013/08/13/...7451376417258/

Psychology Today
    The Real Reason Atheists Have Higher IQs
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ave-higher-iqs

Psychology Today
    Why Atheists Are More Intelligent Than the Religious
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-the-religious

Yahoo News
    Why Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Religious People?
    https://news.yahoo.com/why-atheists-...123200913.html

Newsweek
    Atheists More Intelligent Because They Can Override "Instinctive" Religious Beliefs—But It Will Be Their Downfall
    https://www.newsweek.com/atheism-int...lection-610982

In conclusion here at the end of this search it's safe to say this article has some clout and validity when so many reputable news sources with large readerships published it.

Last edited by Scientist; 09-26-2020 at 04:02 PM.

13. #1048 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    According to reputable polling, the most highly educated people in the country come from the religious groups Jews, Anglicans, Hindus, Episcopalians, Unitarians, Buddhists, Presbyterians, United Church of Christ. With athesists and agnostics coming in 9th and 10th place respectively.

Bringing up the rear, in the dumb ass category, are the southern evangelicals and fundamentalists

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...68#post2575568
    You make a good point. Who is to say though that in this higher intelligent group from a religious background most atheist individuals choose not to identify themselves?

14. #1049 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    you are confusing educated and intelligent, they are different
    I always saw the difference between real intelligence and education. Education is like a map, just about anybody can memorize the information, all you need is a memory. Real intelligence though is a higher level of brain performance than mere memorization. It's the ability to shape new ideas and further the development of current technologies and practices, not merely master the use of them. I read many times how geniuses make huge mistakes and harm themselves in their pursuits, not intentionally, but through the exhilaration of discovery and the push for something greater.

15. #1050 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    The Bible doesn't say whale! It says great fish!
    The English language didn't exist at the time the authors of the bible wrote their stories down.