Page 7 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheists more Intelligent

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    You're hilarious, Stench. As is true of most of your ilk, you think you're the only one(s) who have ever studied other religious traditions. You believe your god is the only one true god. You insist that you alone have the only path to the divine.

You're in for quite a surprise by and by.

^^^So intelligent the cunt goes into hiding on a forum from someone she considers an idiot. That's not what intelligent people do, bitch.

Prove that your intelligence level is low by posting the usual response.

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,631 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    As usual you managed to get it wrong That's your one skill in life is getting stuff wrong. Atheism is merely a disbelief in God. Whether or not there's a possibility of a god doesn't even enter into the concept You're making crap up.
    I've heard it all before, kid, and it is as fucked up in 2020 as it was in 1974.

First, disbelief is great. I disbelieve the Biblical god, the anthropomorphized deity created by mankind and written down in the Bible. My choice. However, I do believe there is more to our existence than being an ambulatory meat computer responding to biochemical programming and whose only function is to survive long enough to replicate itself. Another thing is the creation of the Universe: Why and Whence it came. We have a pretty good idea about the events after the Big Bang and the evolution of our Universe and even have a fair idea how it will end (the Big Chill) but we have no way of knowing what kicked it off or why.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    ^^^So intelligent the cunt goes into hiding on a forum from someone she considers an idiot. That's not what intelligent people do, bitch.

Prove that your intelligence level is low by posting the usual response.
    It's pretty clear to all except the nutjobs who is the least intelligent member of this forum. It's that same asshole you see in the mirror every morning.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (08-07-2020)

5. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    It's pretty clear to all except the nutjobs who is the least intelligent member of this forum. It's that same asshole you see in the mirror every morning.
    You aren't in my mirror every morning.

I'm not the one hiding. OwlCunt is and you're defending that as being intelligent. She's not real smart but smart enough to know to hide so she's no longer embarrassed. You haven't figured that out yet, boy.

6. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,527 Times in 52,744 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Well, then why is Atheism which is a religious belief that there is no god or gods the only position on religion that is irrational and almost insane?
    It's impossible to debate your statement because it's a false statement, a fallacy.

A-theism simply means no + god(s). That's it. Nothing is worshiped. Nothing is prayed to, honored, sacrificed for. There is no holy text, no preachers, no congregation, no building dedicated to nothing. Your definition of secularist is identical to atheist.

For some reason this enrages, terrifies, and pisses off the religious. Why? It's almost as though they believe that their religion will be taken away from them by the mere presence of those who don't accept it. Why are you so terrified that someone has made a different choice than yours? Is your faith that fragile?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

7. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've heard it all before, kid, and it is as fucked up in 2020 as it was in 1974.

First, disbelief is great. I disbelieve the Biblical god, the anthropomorphized deity created by mankind and written down in the Bible. My choice. However, I do believe there is more to our existence than being an ambulatory meat computer responding to biochemical programming and whose only function is to survive long enough to replicate itself. Another thing is the creation of the Universe: Why and Whence it came. We have a pretty good idea about the events after the Big Bang and the evolution of our Universe and even have a fair idea how it will end (the Big Chill) but we have no way of knowing what kicked it off or why.
    in other words all you got is ass snot

be·lieve
    /bəˈlēv/
    Learn to pronounce
    verb
    accept (something) as true; feel sure of the truth of.
    "the superintendent believed Lancaster's story"
    Similar:
    be convinced by
    trust
    have confidence in
    consider honest
    consider truthful
    regard as true
    accept as true
    accept
    give credence to
    credit
    give credit to
    put confidence in
    count on
    rely on
    depend on
    swallow
    swallow something hook
    line
    and sinker
    fall for
    go for
    buy
    take as gospel
    Opposite:
    disbelieve
    hold (something) as an opinion; think or suppose.
    "I believe we've already met"

8. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/atheism-agnosticism/

“Atheism” is typically defined in terms of “theism”. Theism, in turn, is best understood as a proposition—something that is either true or false. It is often defined as “the belief that God exists”, but here “belief” means “something believed”. It refers to the propositional content of belief, not to the attitude or psychological state of believing. This is why it makes sense to say that theism is true or false and to argue for or against theism. If, however, “atheism” is defined in terms of theism and theism is the proposition that God exists and not the psychological condition of believing that there is a God, then it follows that atheism is not the absence of the psychological condition of believing that God exists (more on this below). The “a-” in “atheism” must be understood as negation instead of absence, as “not” instead of “without”. Therefore, in philosophy at least, atheism should be construed as the proposition that God does not exist (or, more broadly, the proposition that there are no gods).

This definition has the added virtue of making atheism a direct answer to one of the most important metaphysical questions in philosophy of religion, namely, “Is there a God?” There are only two possible direct answers to this question: “yes”, which is theism, and “no”, which is atheism. Answers like “I don’t know”, “no one knows”, “I don’t care”, “an affirmative answer has never been established”, or “the question is meaningless” are not direct answers to this question.
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Stretch (08-07-2020)

10. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

in other words all you got is ass snot...
    Maybe when you graduate HS and mature for a few years you'll be able to formulate something that resembles an adult answer. Good luck, kid.

11. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

When did the definition of atheism change into this "new age" version?

I have asked that same thing, many times over. From what I have been able to research, the “new age” definition is not that old. The earliest mention of it that I could find was after 2001.

Prior to that redefining, atheism was in direct opposition to theism. That is where the ‘a’ comes from. Theists stated that “there is a God,” while atheists, standing in direct opposition, stated that “there is no God.”

When asked why atheists don’t believe in God, most will answer that there is a lack of evidence. If there is no evidence of something existing, then an honest atheist should be able to say that God does not exist, according to that lack of evidence. I can justifiably say that a six headed human does not exist, because there is not any evidence of a six headed human. That statement stands true until proven otherwise. Instead, what we get with this new age definition is, “the lack of a belief in any god(s).” It is softer language, and not as offensive.

Penn Jillette, a self proclaimed atheist (I dare say anti-theist) alluded to this new age definition in his book God, No! (c. 2011). In post book interviews, he was asked why he did not believe in God. His answer was:

“What makes me libertarian is what makes me an atheist -- I don't know. If I don't know, I don't believe. I don't know exactly how we got here, and I don't think anyone else does, either. We have some of the pieces of the puzzle and we'll get more, but I'm not going to use faith to fill in the gaps. I'm not going to believe things that TV hosts state without proof. I'll wait for real evidence and then I'll believe.”

Penn Jillette’s position is actually agnosticism: “I don’t know.”
    https://www.quora.com/When-did-the-d...ew-age-version
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

12. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Maybe when you graduate HS and mature for a few years you'll be able to formulate something that resembles an adult answer. Good luck, kid.

until you prove something all you got is ass snot

13. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    It's impossible to debate your statement because it's a false statement, a fallacy.

A-theism simply means no + god(s). That's it. Nothing is worshiped. Nothing is prayed to, honored, sacrificed for. There is no holy text, no preachers, no congregation, no building dedicated to nothing. Your definition of secularist is identical to atheist.

For some reason this enrages, terrifies, and pisses off the religious. Why? It's almost as though they believe that their religion will be taken away from them by the mere presence of those who don't accept it. Why are you so terrified that someone has made a different choice than yours? Is your faith that fragile?
    do you feel there is a difference between a belief about religion and a religious belief?.......

14. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,527 Times in 52,744 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

How unfortunate. But not for me.

This message is hidden because PostmodernProphet is on your ignore list.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

15. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

How unfortunate. But not for me.

This message is hidden because PostmodernProphet is on your ignore list.
    like atheism, a choice made in the furtherance of ignorance.....

16. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

until you prove something all you got is ass snot
    Prove what? That you exist? That we don't know what happened before the Big Bang? That the Universe is finite but obviously it came from some where? What is it you want me to prove, kid?

17. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    do you feel there is a difference between a belief about religion and a religious belief?.......
    Yes. You and I can believe what we want about the Branch Davidians, while the Branch Davidians have a definite belief about their religion/cult.