Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheists more Intelligent

1. #151 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,386 Times in 3,225 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 189 Times in 178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    The Old Testament was written by men in a language that humans five thousand years ago could understand.

To people of the iron age, a whale was a great fish. We did not even have the Linnaeus classification of animals into mammals, fish, reptiles until the 17th century.

Because the bible was written by men in an archaic language that people of the iron age could understand, it was never going to use modern mammalian names and classifications, nor is it going to speak about the particle physics and quantum dynamics which modern science understands were involved in the creation of the universe.
    Tell me where and how it all started genius!

2. #152 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

One of the smartest men to ever live, the preeminent German philosopher, Immanuel Kant was a man of the Enlightenment, a proponent of reason as the path to knowedge. At the same time, he was explicitly clear that reason has severe limitations, that there are realms of knowledge outside the reach of reason, and that what truly makes us human is to ask questions about the meaning of life
    Kant said questions about the meaning of life are meaningless.

3. #153 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsprat22 View Post
    Kant said questions about the meaning of life are meaningless.
    Wrong. You barely knew who Kant was three microseconds before you read my post, and frantically Googling for random Intel about Kant does not cut the mustard.

I just finished a video class on Kant, and Kant finally formulates the three most fundamental questions that we all should ask:
    1. What can I know?
    2. Given the limits of my reason, what ought I do?
    3. For what can I hope?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-07-2020), ThatOwlWoman (08-07-2020)

5. #154 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Wrong. You barely knew who Kant was three microseconds before you read my post, and frantically Googling for random Intel about Kant does not cut the mustard.

I just finished a video class on Kant, and Kant finally formulates the three most fundamental questions that we all should ask:
    1. What can I know?
    2. Given the limits of my reason, what ought I do?
    3. For what can I hope?
    You're an asshole.

6. #155 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsprat22 View Post
    You're an asshole.
    Nietzsche is the one who famously asserts that God is dead - that there is no transcendent “beyond” - that the only meaning in life comes through creative activities through which we shape a life for ourselves.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-07-2020)

8. #156 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    For those who live in an "either or" universe, that would be correct. My universe has a third aspect of human beings: faith, an aspect of all things that is neither physical or mental and of unknown limits. It's like dark matter and dark energy. Neither have been proved to exist yet the results of their existence are documented.

It's akin to a Neanderthal finding the footprint of a very large catlike animal. He touches it to make sure he's not dreaming. It has no smell and he doesn't know of any catlike animals larger than his forearm. Does he accept he doesn't know everything and move forward with the possibility it's real or does he say "There's no prove of something that large, ignore it until proof is found"?

There are numerous psych studies about faith, partly because it's something that exists, can't be stamped out on pain of death by dictators like Stalin and Mao and continues to thrive among the vast majority of human beings in one form or another. Yes, including Atheism.
    Again though, atheism is not a belief system or a faith. It's the absence of those things.

I don't know whether or not there is a creator that put this existence into existence. I think this most nearly describes my personal beliefs: "It's like dark matter and dark energy. Neither have been proved to exist yet the results of their existence are documented." I believe -- not KNOW but believe -- that there is more to just our meat space physical existence. Something spiritual transcends and survives the death of the physical corpus, I believe. Do we meet again on "the other side"? If so do we recognize each other? I do not know. I can only go by my own personal experiences with these matters. I also believe that if my beliefs are true, they are true for all living beings, not just homo sapiens and our forebears.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (08-07-2020)

10. #157 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Jackson, I have a preeminent German philosopher who might appeal to cynical athesists even more than Nietsche.

Schopenhauer was the ultimate cynic and pessimist who felt there was no meaning to life, and the remedy was to adopt a disengaged attitude and indulge in the aesthetic enjoyment of life.

11. #158 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This public service announcement is brought to you by the makers of Ignoritol(c). Trolls, racists, and morons cluttering up your screen? Banish them with Ignoritol(c)! Used regularly as directed, Ignoritol(c) provides peace, serenity, and adult conversations with your equals. Try it today!

This message is hidden because Wolverine is on your ignore list.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. #159 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post

Crickets
    Exactly what Christ did. He knew the Pharisees were coming at him, trying to just stir up strife with gotcha questions........Jesus simply walked away.
    He told believers to not engage "in endless arguments" with those who really aren't asking sincere questions regarding faith and salvation. They're only
    posturing and scheming for their own selfish and prideful agendas.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

13. #160 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    You're hilarious, Stench. As is true of most of your ilk, you think you're the only one(s) who have ever studied other religious traditions. You believe your god is the only one true god. You insist that you alone have the only path to the divine.

You're in for quite a surprise by and by.

And, just where is "your friend?" Scheming and deception will get you nowhere. You've just shown your hand. Very foolish.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something

14. #161 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    And, just where is "your friend?" Scheming and deception will get you nowhere. You've just shown your hand. Very foolish.
    What are you blathering about now, Stench? What friend? Are you talking about my figure of speech that you apparently took literally? Did you know that inability to understand humor is common to the unintelligent? Well, now you do.

Here, a lovely parting gift chosen especially for you.

15. #162 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,126 Times in 9,657 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 503 Times in 476 Posts
    Blog Entries

I pray to our lord jesus christ to send forth a love fog of hazy brilliance and loving dominion to envelop the hearts and souls of all those cut off from true love of the living god. your demonic bondages are broken. go forth and sin no more. Amen

16. #163 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    I pray to our lord jesus christ to send forth a love fog of hazy brilliance and loving dominion to envelop the hearts and souls of all those cut off from true love of the living god. your demonic bondages are broken. go forth and sin no more. Amen
    Thanks! Hope you'll be at the party tonight. Bring your own mask and mead and join us!

17. #164 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    prove a god exists you inbred moron
    Prove he does not exist. Faith is our "proof." YOU have no faith, so YOU have no proof.
    You live and judge in the physical realm. You have no understanding of the spiritual realm and faith.
    So, don't worry about it. Try to stay happy and content in this passing world without
    the love of Christ in your heart. Stay happy with your fears, doubts, anxiety, unrest, anger and hate.
    Others have simply chosen not to.
    pain in abortion.

18. #165 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Again though, atheism is not a belief system or a faith. It's the absence of those things.

I don't know whether or not there is a creator that put this existence into existence. I think this most nearly describes my personal beliefs: "It's like dark matter and dark energy. Neither have been proved to exist yet the results of their existence are documented." I believe -- not KNOW but believe -- that there is more to just our meat space physical existence. Something spiritual transcends and survives the death of the physical corpus, I believe. Do we meet again on "the other side"? If so do we recognize each other? I do not know. I can only go by my own personal experiences with these matters. I also believe that if my beliefs are true, they are true for all living beings, not just homo sapiens and our forebears.
    Atheism is more than that. It's a belief based doctrine putting science and self as God. Its existence is finite in being there to try to discredit all other faiths. What you describe would be just living your life carefree without needing to create a named doctrine to discredit others. Just being a human being that doesn't give a flying fuck about believing or not believing. There is no way to prove or disprove God, an afterlife, or a lot of that stuff. It doesn't stop them from trying and Atheists can be as curmudgeonly and bigoted as many in other faiths or belief structures