Thread: Killer Pick Up Trucks

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Default Killer Pick Up Trucks

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Callinectes (08-05-2020), Darth Omar (08-05-2020), Irish (08-05-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

https://townhall.com/columnists/brad...rucks-n2573730
    The Wall Street Journal delivered a lengthy treatise that looks at a normal aspect of American life, one that almost nobody looks at as being a nefarious component in our existence, with contempt: driving pickup trucks.
    Using "almost" is the qualifier here, as we have come to learn that the learned elites are capable of looking at the most mundane characteristics of society and sneering. In a display of abject elitism, writer Dan Neil has managed to take an isolated personal experience and elevate his near-trauma to a need for bans on the venal vehicles.

It turns out Dan was in a Costco parking lot and had a close call with a GMC Denali. To suggest he was affected by an event that a large swath of America has probably experienced is an understatement:

"As that chrome grille closed on me like a man-eating Norelco shaver, time slowed. It seemed I was watching myself from afar, being nimble for a man my age, darting from the path of a towering, limousine-black pickup with temporary plates, whose driver barely checked his pace."
    Yeah, we can say he was affected:

"It was huge! The domed hood was at forehead level. The paramedics would have had to extract me from the grille with a spray hose, like Randall Jarrell’s ball-turret gunner."
    Mr. Neil then goes on to list a number of safety features that these trucks could be outfitted with to ensure the safety of others, and he tips his elitist hand by employing the tired argument involving the supposedly more-evolved souls on the continent: "such systems are not mandatory, as they would be in Europe." Yes, we need to follow the guidance of those who are outlawing butter knives and look askance at pedophilia scandals for fear of being labeled as intolerant.

What we have here is the familiar practice of leftist elites who encounter an inconvenience in their personal life and immediately conjure up a way for the government to remedy their discomfort. This was the mentality of a San Francisco Board of Supervisors member who tired of his young child pestering him for Happy Meals to get the toys. Rather than be a parent he decided to pass a law forbidding the restaurant chain from giving away free toys. Now we have a grown man who saw a scary truck and thus wants to impose European neutering standards in order for him to feel protected.

Dan Neil of course found an ally in academia. Well ... sort of. He cited as a fellow pickup truck opponent an associate professor of design at ArtCenter College of Design in Pasadena. You have to wonder just how many phone calls had to be placed before getting someone this far-flung to latch onto his paranoia. But hey, now he can back up his impotent argument by stating that anyone who opposes his efforts are not among the educated set, and they probably hate science too.

Then, sensing a true movement among the elitist minds, Ryan Cooper over at The Week decided to take up the pitchfork and torch and join in on the flatbed fussilade, and of course, he had to take things a step further. Not content to merely lobby for EU truck standards, he went so far as to "expose" what pickup trucks are designed for in reality: running people over.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

Callinectes (08-05-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Dodge/Ram lol.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Callinectes (08-05-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Mr. Neil then goes on to list a number of safety features that these trucks could be outfitted with to ensure the safety of others, and he tips his elitist hand by employing the tired argument involving the supposedly more-evolved souls on the continent: "such systems are not mandatory, as they would be in Europe."
    Like we need to follow the guidance of those who are outlawing butter knives and look askance at pedophilia scandals for fear of being labeled as intolerant.

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,786 Times in 32,152 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

people are fatter than they've ever been before.......trucks need to be built sturdier to limit damage to their grills in accidents involving pedestrians.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    people are fatter than they've ever been before.......trucks need to be built sturdier to limit damage to their grills in accidents involving pedestrians.....
    lol "damage from pedestrians?" is that what you said? That's what the guy who wrote about killer pick-ups claims
    They are built that way to kill, they need to be regulated

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,786 Times in 32,152 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I remember back in the 80s when newspapers would report "SUV kills three in accident" as if they had no drivers......

Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Stretch (08-05-2020), Wolverine (08-06-2020)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,929 Times in 13,196 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

There are two primary reasons pick up trucks are growing in size:

1. Increases in capacity for hauling and towing. These are driven by buyers that are buying the vehicle to use it as a truck.

2. Pick ups are becoming increasingly the family car. Most pick ups are no king or crew cab types that can carry 2+ or 4 people comfortably. The interiors are no longer spartan but rather on par with passenger cars.

One reason driving this is that pick up trucks are not as heavily regulated in design standards for things like safety and emissions as passenger vehicles, they count as "trucks" not "cars." This means buyers are often getting a lot more for their money in terms of things they want in a vehicle. A good chunk of truck buyers will never use the truck anywhere close to what it was intended for either.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 2,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 150 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Dodge/Ram lol.
    rebel.jpg

I have a Ram Rebel 4x4. The name basically gives you instructions on what to do with it!
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Callinectes For This Post:

Darth Omar (08-05-2020), Sailor (08-05-2020)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    There are two primary reasons pick up trucks are growing in size:

1. Increases in capacity for hauling and towing. These are driven by buyers that are buying the vehicle to use it as a truck.

2. Pick ups are becoming increasingly the family car. Most pick ups are no king or crew cab types that can carry 2+ or 4 people comfortably. The interiors are no longer spartan but rather on par with passenger cars.

One reason driving this is that pick up trucks are not as heavily regulated in design standards for things like safety and emissions as passenger vehicles, they count as "trucks" not "cars." This means buyers are often getting a lot more for their money in terms of things they want in a vehicle. A good chunk of truck buyers will never use the truck anywhere close to what it was intended for either.
    Thank Dick Cheney.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Callinectes View Post
    rebel.jpg

I have a Ram Rebel 4x4. The name basically gives you instructions on what to do with it!
    Put a cow catcher on the front and drive around to find some protests lol.

Better hang on to that truck—with a name like that it’s bound to be canceled.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Callinectes (08-05-2020)

18. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,929 Times in 13,196 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Thank Dick Cheney.
    Okay, but I'm not exactly sure why. Thank you Dick Cheney.

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I remember back in the 80s when newspapers would report "SUV kills three in accident" as if they had no drivers......

My buddy had a Yugo and ran over a Ground Hog with it.

All it did was piss the Ground Hog off lol.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Callinectes (08-05-2020)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Okay, but I'm not exactly sure why. Thank you Dick Cheney.
    Hmm, here you are again with part of the story.
    This century began with stringent CAFE standards about to be imposed via the Clintons.
    Darth Cheney immediately quashed them and changed the rules so that giant SUVs could be classified as light trucks.
    This set back electric car innovation by 10 years (the manufacturers would have needed the zero emissions electric cars to bring up their fleet average to meet the Clinton's CAFE standards).
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

22. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 2,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 150 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Hmm, here you are again with part of the story.
    This century began with stringent CAFE standards about to be imposed via the Clintons.
    Darth Cheney immediately quashed them and changed the rules so that giant SUVs could be classified as light trucks.
    This set back electric car innovation by 10 years (the manufacturers would have needed the zero emissions electric cars to bring up their fleet average to meet the Clinton's CAFE standards).
    Thank God and Dick Cheney!
    “The Communist party must control the guns.”
    ― Mao Tse-tung

“Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything.”-Generally attributed to Uncle Joe Stalin

“Everything under heaven is in utter choas; the situation is excellent.”
    ― mao tse-tung

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Callinectes For This Post:

Darth Omar (08-05-2020)