Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: People live longer in blue states than red; new study points to impact-state policies

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    ELLE OH ELLE!!

It's called the Supplemental Poverty Rate which is the updated version of tracking poverty and California is number one.

It's funny how you think saying that means I hate the state and shouldn't live here. Why would anyone live in a state then, according to your logic, that doesn't vote the same way they do?

Why do you, or anyone, live in America if you have disagreements or issues with its politics which equates to hating America by your logic?
    Obviously brother you don’t understand logic. I asked a question based on your constant crying about the state you live in. Moving isn’t that difficult. I used to live there .. I moved.

I live in America because I was born to it .. family lives here .. thus I’m committed to trying to make it live up to its promises.

A like answer from you would have sufficed.

Pardon me for using the OFficial measure of poverty, which is more widel used. .. but even by the SPM California ranks 26th.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Except its the largest state in the Union with 40 million people. I can help you out here without some bogus study. Generally speaking rich people are healthier and live longer lives. Thus areas with more wealthier people will have longer life spans.

Now if you want to give me a study that compares the life span of rich Asians in Ohio compared to rich Asians in California. Compares poor white people in New York to poor white people in Kentucky. Compares poor black people in Connecticut to poor black people in Georgia and we have material differences then that is saying something.
    Well duh, blue states do better than red states because of economics. Instead of wealth pooling within a tiny minority, it spreads more evenly throughout society.
    I know it goes against the feels, but liberal economics produce better societies. And not just within America. Liberal countries are far more successful than conservative countries too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-05-2020)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,283 Times in 13,412 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 842 Times in 801 Posts

What matters most is a life lived well, not a life long lived without meaning.

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    Obviously brother you don’t understand logic. I asked a question based on your constant crying about the state you live in. Moving isn’t that difficult. I used to live there .. I moved.

I live in America because I was born to it .. family lives here .. thus I’m committed to trying to make it live up to its promises.

A like answer from you would have sufficed.

Pardon me for using the OFficial measure of poverty, which is more widel used. .. but even by the SPM California ranks 26th.
    If disagreeing with politics be they local, state or federal is crying then all we do in America is cry.

It's like in America today there's zero room for nuance. There's a lot about California I love. I also strongly disagree with many things we do here politically and yes I discuss them on a political discussion board. And as many of us know the old adage is 'as goes California so goes the country'. So if I lived in Montana and discuss local Montana politics most people understandably wouldn't give a sh*t. But California is the largest state in the Union and what happens here affects what happens around the country. And when people point to California and say I want to transport their politics nationally I will talk about it. That doesn't mean I hate California.

And not living here you probably don't read the local papers on a regular basis. Whether it's the SF Chronicle, LA Times or Sac Bee a google search will show you numerous articles they have written stating California has the highest poverty rate. Here's just one article.

California still No. 1 in poverty

https://calmatters.org/commentary/20...-1-in-poverty/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Into the Night (08-05-2020)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Well duh, blue states do better than red states because of economics. Instead of wealth pooling within a tiny minority, it spreads more evenly throughout society.
    I know it goes against the feels, but liberal economics produce better societies. And not just within America. Liberal countries are far more successful than conservative countries too.
    Have you ever been to California? We have the most wealth, highest poverty rate and a middle class that has been leaving for years. It is not spread out evenly throughout the state. Nothing even close to that.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

dukkha (08-04-2020), PostmodernProphet (08-05-2020)

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Have you ever been to California? We have the most wealth, highest poverty rate and a middle class that has been leaving for years. It is not spread out evenly throughout the state. Nothing even close to that.
    One state. Literally one state. Like I said, California is the exception to the rule.

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

One state. Literally one state. Like I said, California is the exception to the rule.
    Feel free to show data that California is the exception to the rule as far as inequality within each state as I’d be interested in seeing it
    Last edited by cawacko; 08-04-2020 at 08:00 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

Into the Night (08-05-2020)

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Feel free to show data that California is the exception to the rule as far as inequality within each state as I’d be interested in seeing it
    Look up legit any article on living standards, human development index, or economic security. The blue states, on average, do better than the red states.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

blackascoal (08-04-2020)

14. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Look up legit any article on living standards, human development index, or economic security. The blue states, on average, do better than the red states.
    Here’s an article from two years ago. Look at the states at the top of income inequality list. Pretty clear Cali is not the exception.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/12/us-s...nequality.html

15. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Here’s an article from two years ago. Look at the states at the top of income inequality list. Pretty clear Cali is not the exception.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/12/us-s...nequality.html
    Even in that one, the blue states are doing better than the red states on average.

16. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Even in that one, the blue states are doing better than the red states on average.
    You realize the top of the list is the highest inequality correct?

17. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You realize the top of the list is the highest inequality correct?
    Yes, I'm going by the overall number of states. On average, the blue states are doing better.

And really, is this surprising? Look at countries around the world. Would you rather live under right-wing economies like Saudi Arabia or left-wing economies like Switzerland?

18. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes, I'm going by the overall number of states. On average, the blue states are doing better.

And really, is this surprising? Look at countries around the world. Would you rather live under right-wing economies like Saudi Arabia or left-wing economies like Switzerland?
    Now you've moved multiple goal posts. You started with saying Cali was the exception to the rule and that was shown to be false. So you turn to global economies? Saudi Arabia is an oil based economy with massive welfare benefits given to its citizens, many of whom work for the government, and that's right wing? And Sweden which is market based economy (with generous welfare benefits) is left wing? Do you just make this stuff up?

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

dukkha (08-04-2020), Into the Night (08-05-2020), PostmodernProphet (08-05-2020)

20. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Now you've moved multiple goal posts. You started with saying Cali was the exception to the rule and that was shown to be false.
    In the studies I've seen, California was the one exception. From what you've shown me, there are a few exceptions, but blue states still (on average) do better than red states. That's not moving multiple goalposts since my original point was that blue states do better.

So you turn to global economies? Saudi Arabia is an oil based economy with massive welfare benefits given to its citizens, many of whom work for the government, and that's right wing? And Sweden which is market based economy (with generous welfare benefits) is left wing? Do you just make this stuff up?
    I brought up global economics to show that it's not just within America that this happens. It's the same thing when we're talking about the differences between countries.

Serious question, do you know the historical definitions of right-wing and left-wing?

21. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

In the studies I've seen, California was the one exception. From what you've shown me, there are a few exceptions, but blue states still (on average) do better than red states. That's not moving multiple goalposts since my original point was that blue states do better.

I brought up global economics to show that it's not just within America that this happens. It's the same thing when we're talking about the differences between countries.

Serious question, do you know the historical definitions of right-wing and left-wing?
    What are the wealthiest states that are blue? Cali, New York, Connecticut, Mass, Illinois and New Jersey. All at the top of the list for inequality. So don’t tell me blue states somehow have this great distribution of wealth.

As for how to define right and left wing

Right wing = free(er) markets (market economies)
    Left wing = more command economies