Thread: Voting by Mail Is Crucial for Democracy

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Default Voting by Mail Is Crucial for Democracy

The American people need to be able to vote in the November election, and they need to be able to trust the outcome of that vote. What can be done over the next three months to make the process as accessible, accurate and secure as possible? Here are three relatively straightforward tasks.

First, aggressively counter misinformation about mail voting, which continues to be spread not just by President Trump, but also by top members of his administration.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/01/o...gtype=Homepage

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksonsprat22 For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-02-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"For a man who votes by mail himself, Donald Trump is strangely obsessed with the idea that it is the most dangerous method of casting a ballot.

The president was at it again this week. “Rigged Election,” he tweeted of New York’s well-publicized struggles with counting mail-in votes. “Same thing would happen, but on massive scale, with USA.”

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksonsprat22 For This Post:

PoliTalker (08-02-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

SUCH PROPAGANDIST BULLSHIT

NO MAILIN VOTING FOR YOU

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsprat22 View Post
    aggressively counter misinformation about mail voting
    then ban it......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,110 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

The American people need to be able to vote in the November election, and they need to be able to trust the outcome of that vote. What can be done over the next three months to make the process as accessible, accurate and secure as possible? Here are three relatively straightforward tasks.

First, aggressively counter misinformation about mail voting, which continues to be spread not just by President Trump, but also by top members of his administration.

It sure does make it easier to make sure Trump does not win, which is a very important mission listen to all the people who say so, that is the only thing it has going for it.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you want to vote, them show up

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    If you want to vote, them show up
    Yes, send in your mail ballots. Don't spread the coronavirus.

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello jacksonsprat22,

From the OP link: "In March, Mr. Trump complained about a proposal by House Democrats to expand access to the ballot. “They had levels of voting, that if you ever agreed to it, you’d never have a Republican elected in this country again,” he said."

And THAT is his greatest worry. That the real will of the people might be enacted.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    It sure does make it easier to make sure Trump does not win, which is a very important mission listen to all the people who say so, that is the only thing it has going for it.
    And into the bargain ...

Fight Over Postal Service Funding Leaves Future of Mail in limbo
    May 10, 2020 - With the coronavirus pandemic threatening the Postal Service's financial viability, a rescue for America's favorite agency has become a political ...

The US Postal Service Could be Bankrupt by June
    Apr 14, 2020 - The USPS has a complicated financial support system. While it is a government agency, it doesn't run on taxpayer funding. This means it falls ...

Americans love the USPS, even as it faces bankruptcy
    May 15, 2020 - The new Postmaster General, Louis DeJoy. Meantime, USPS is in deep financial trouble, losing 78 billion dollars from 2007 to 2019. This may not ...

Factbox: Why the Postal Service is going bankrupt
    Feb 14, 2012 - The U.S. Postal Service has come under scrutiny for a plan to close thousands of post offices - a move the money-losing agency says it must ...

Boy the way Glen Miller played,
    Songs that made the hit parade,
    Guys like us we had it made,
    Those were the days,
    And you know where you were then,
    Girls were girls and men were men,
    Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again,
    Didn't need no welfare states
    Everybody pulled his weight,
    Gee our old Lasalle ran great,
    Those were the days

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bhaktajan For This Post:

anatta (08-02-2020)

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes, send in your mail ballots. Don't spread the coronavirus.
    By November, everyone in the country will have had the chinese virus

show up to vote

if you guys really believed the polls, you wouldn't be pushing mail in ballot schemes

the harder the democrat party pushes for mail in ballots, the more it tells me they have no confidence in Biden

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello bhaktajan,

Quote Originally Posted by bhaktajan View Post
    And into the bargain ...

Fight Over Postal Service Funding Leaves Future of Mail in limbo
    May 10, 2020 - With the coronavirus pandemic threatening the Postal Service's financial viability, a rescue for America's favorite agency has become a political ...

The US Postal Service Could be Bankrupt by June
    Apr 14, 2020 - The USPS has a complicated financial support system. While it is a government agency, it doesn't run on taxpayer funding. This means it falls ...

Americans love the USPS, even as it faces bankruptcy
    May 15, 2020 - The new Postmaster General, Louis DeJoy. Meantime, USPS is in deep financial trouble, losing 78 billion dollars from 2007 to 2019. This may not ...

Factbox: Why the Postal Service is going bankrupt
    Feb 14, 2012 - The U.S. Postal Service has come under scrutiny for a plan to close thousands of post offices - a move the money-losing agency says it must ...

Boy the way Glen Miller played,
    Songs that made the hit parade,
    Guys like us we had it made,
    Those were the days,
    And you know where you were then,
    Girls were girls and men were men,
    Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again,
    Didn't need no welfare states
    Everybody pulled his weight,
    Gee our old Lasalle ran great,
    Those were the days
    The USPS would be fine without the draconian measures imposed on it by Republicans. It would be a profit-generator in excellent financial condition.

Imagine if the US Government made a law which forced FedEx and UPS to prefund a retirement account for all current and future employees for the next 75 years.

Republicans would be screaming bloody murder about government over reach.

And the 'S' in LaSalle is properly capitalized to reflect the French explorer it was named after.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Dems want vote by mail because they want to create chaos in the system

Two HUGE problems with vote by mail

1) Ballot harvesting which is how Commiefornia flipped GOP seats
    2) Your vote is no longer secret. Go into a booth, nobody knows how you voted. Put it on paper and put it in the mail and POOF. You are identified

Dems always look for ways to cheat because they know Americans don't want what they are selling

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 19 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello bhaktajan,

The USPS would be fine without the draconian measures imposed on it by Republicans. It would be a profit-generator in excellent financial condition.

Imagine if the US Government made a law which forced FedEx and UPS to prefund a retirement account for all current and future employees for the next 75 years.

Republicans would be screaming bloody murder about government over reach.
    Huh?

Surely such "measures imposed" was prompted by Labor Unions ---led by Democrats' initiatives.

How has that Dem Party pet topic been reversed and become a Republican initiative?

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello bhaktajan,

Quote Originally Posted by bhaktajan View Post
    Huh?

Surely such "measures imposed" was prompted by Labor Unions ---led by Democrats' initiatives.

How has that Dem Party pet topic been reversed and become a Republican initiative?
    OK, so you don't even know why the USPS is actually just fine, but Republicans claim it is in trouble.

Here's why the USPS is struggling:

"the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006.

Passed by a Republican-led Congress and signed into law by President George W. Bush, the PAEA gave the Postal Service new accounting and funding rules for its retiree pension and health benefits. Up until 2006, the USPS funded those obligations on a pay-as-you-go-basis, pulling out of its pension fund and adding to it as retirees' costs came in. But the PAEA required the Postal Service to calculate all of its likely pension costs over the next 75 years, and then sock away enough money between 2007 and 2016 to cover most of them.

This is one of those ideas that sounds responsible on the surface but is actually pretty nuts.

Consider your average 30-year mortgage. What if you had to set aside a few hundred thousand dollars right now, enough to pay the whole thing, even if you were still going to make payments over 30 years? No one would ever take out a mortgage. That's the whole point: the costs only come in over time, and the income you use to pay them comes in over time as well. It works exactly the same for retiree pensions and benefit funds. Which is why, as economist Dean Baker pointed out to Congress, pretty much no one else does what the PAEA demanded of the Postal Service.

Meeting Congress' arbitrary mandate required putting away an extra $5.6 billion per year. "It is equivalent to imposing a tax of 8 percent on the Postal Service's revenue," Baker said. "There are few businesses that would be able to survive if they were suddenly required to pay an 8 percent tax from which their competitors were exempted.""

The Week: How George Bush broke the Post Office

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The USPS is set to run out of money in September.

How nice for Trump, if they have to look at possibly shutting down right before mail-in voting in the pandemic.

It occurs to me there could be a very easy grass roots fix.

Maybe it is time for all of us to stock up on all the stamps we will ever need!

How many stamps will you ever use? Do you have some dollars you could invest in your future?

If enough people were to go and buy all the stamps they will ever need for the rest of their lives, it could completely de-power the Republican plan to screw mail-in voting.

And it's not like you would be just giving the money away, either. Just buy stamps. It's really not such a bad investment, anyway. They are good forever, and if the price goes up in the future, you will have paid less than they would cost you then. Might set you back a little now, but the more time that goes by for you without having to buy stamps again, the more it comes back to you. It is an investment in your future as much as a loan to the USPS.

It's the perfect grass-roots way to foil dirty-fighting Republicans, by doing something good for your country and yourself.