Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the Sennate Comes out 50/50... who gets controll?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,619 Times in 21,482 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,632 Times in 5,140 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default If the Sennate Comes out 50/50... who gets controll?

Usually there will be a shake up when the control issue is close after an election. Some sennators will switch sides to give one party or the other control. If the Sennate comes out 50/50 (a very real possability considering the current polling data) what party do you predict will get control?

Who do you think will likely switch sides? Both independents have said they would vote with the Democrats on control issues, but if its 50/50 after that???

18 U.S. Code § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally
    44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    Usually there will be a shake up when the control issue is close after an election. Some sennators will switch sides to give one party or the other control. If the Sennate comes out 50/50 (a very real possability considering the current polling data) what party do you predict will get control?

Who do you think will likely switch sides? Both independents have said they would vote with the Democrats on control issues, but if its 50/50 after that???
    The Vice President has the deciding vote in cases of deadlock.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thats not likely because Bernie Sanders is likely to win in Vermont. Thus if he wins which is fairly certain the closest it can be is 50-49-1. Whoever has the 50 has the majority.

Lieberman is polling higher and may win but I believe he will just declare himself a democrat should he win the election.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Funny that a lawyer wouldn't know that.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OrnotBitwise View Post
    The Vice President has the deciding vote in cases of deadlock.

I forgot about that, but I dont think that will happen... I belive one party or the other will get someone to switch sides...

If the Democrats get 51 and then the Republicans get 49... there will be a huge lobbying effort to get a convert!

44 U.S.C. 2202 - The United States shall reserve and retain complete ownership, possession, and control of Presidential records; and such records shall be administered in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.

LOCK HIM UP!

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IHateGovernment View Post
    Thats not likely because Bernie Sanders is likely to win in Vermont. Thus if he wins which is fairly certain the closest it can be is 50-49-1. Whoever has the 50 has the majority.

Lieberman is polling higher and may win but I believe he will just declare himself a democrat should he win the election.

I would count him as a Democrat (for the purpose of this thread) because he will vote with the Democrats on control issues. Same with Lieberman.

LOCK HIM UP!

7. #7 | Top
    TRGLDTE Guest

Is Sanders running for Senate? I hadn't heard that yet.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

However he does not count for purposes of determining a majority. He caucuses with them and sits on their side. But lets say Lieberman remains independent and Sanders wins. We have 49-49-2. The Republicans would elect a Senate Majority leader because they have Cheney's vote in a tie. The Democrats would elect a Senate Minority leader.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Is Sanders running for Senate? I hadn't heard that yet.

Yep Jim Jeffords is retiring.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

However he does not count for purposes of determining a majority. He caucuses with them and sits on their side. But lets say Lieberman remains independent and Sanders wins. We have 49-49-2. The Republicans would elect a Senate Majority leader because they have Cheney's vote in a tie. The Democrats would elect a Senate Minority leader.

Cant the two independents vote for a Democratic MAJORITY leader? I think they can and would, so, if they did, in your senario the Democrats would get the majority, Right?

LOCK HIM UP!

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cant the two independents vote for a Democratic MAJORITY leader? I think they can and would, so, if they did, in your senario the Democrats would get the majority, Right?
    They have to align with one or the other side so that they can also take leadership positions and be on committees.

If the Senate is 50/50, the majority goes to the VP's party.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If memory serves, that's not the way it works. It's the -- stupid and probably unconstitutional, in my view -- Two Party System that rules.

If the two major parties have the exact same number of seats -- 49 and 49 say -- then the party currently in power as the majority party will stay in power.
    "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."
    -- V

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OrnotBitwise View Post
    If memory serves, that's not the way it works. It's the -- stupid and probably unconstitutional, in my view -- Two Party System that rules.

If the two major parties have the exact same number of seats -- 49 and 49 say -- then the party currently in power as the majority party will stay in power.
    Maybe I am wrong, and Ill do some research, but I dont think it matters what party the individual members say they belong to, I think all that matters is how they vote on control issues...

So, say a mavrick Republican said he was going to break with the Republicans and vote for a Democrat for Majority leader... and that vote gives the Democrat the majority... I think then the Democrats would have the chairmanships and such... Of corse the Republicans would throw the mavrick out.. but its just a pretned senario!

LOCK HIM UP!

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yup, I am right... check out this example of how it worked in 2002.

Note: From January 3 to January 20, 2001, with the Senate divided evenly between the two parties, the Democrats held the majority due to the deciding vote of outgoing Democratic Vice President Al Gore. Senator Thomas A. Daschle served as majority leader at that time. Beginning on January 20, 2001, Republican Vice President Richard Cheney held the deciding vote, giving the majority to the Republicans. Senator Trent Lott resumed his position as majority leader on that date. On May 24, 2001, Senator James Jeffords of Vermont announced his switch from Republican to Independent status, effective June 6, 2001. Jeffords announced that he would caucus with the Democrats, giving the Democrats a one-seat advantage, changing control of the Senate from the Republicans back to the Democrats. Senator Thomas A. Daschle again became majority leader on June 6, 2001. Senator Paul D. Wellstone (D-MN) died on October 25, 2002, and Independent Dean Barkley was appointed to fill the vacancy. The November 5, 2002 election brought to office elected Senator James Talent (R-MO), replacing appointed Senator Jean Carnahan (D-MO), shifting balance once again to the Republicans -- but no reorganization was completed at that time since the Senate was out of session.

http://tinyurl.com/yqqzw

It depends on who the members "CAUCUS" with. Both Independents have said they will caucus with the Democrats, so if they do... the Democrats only need 49 seats to gain control of the Sennate. The 49 plus the 2 independent votes would give them 51 votes and control!

LOCK HIM UP!

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yup, I am right... check out this example of how it worked in 2002.

Note: From January 3 to January 20, 2001, with the Senate divided evenly between the two parties, the Democrats held the majority due to the deciding vote of outgoing Democratic Vice President Al Gore. Senator Thomas A. Daschle served as majority leader at that time. Beginning on January 20, 2001, Republican Vice President Richard Cheney held the deciding vote, giving the majority to the Republicans. Senator Trent Lott resumed his position as majority leader on that date. On May 24, 2001, Senator James Jeffords of Vermont announced his switch from Republican to Independent status, effective June 6, 2001. Jeffords announced that he would caucus with the Democrats, giving the Democrats a one-seat advantage, changing control of the Senate from the Republicans back to the Democrats. Senator Thomas A. Daschle again became majority leader on June 6, 2001. Senator Paul D. Wellstone (D-MN) died on October 25, 2002, and Independent Dean Barkley was appointed to fill the vacancy. The November 5, 2002 election brought to office elected Senator James Talent (R-MO), replacing appointed Senator Jean Carnahan (D-MO), shifting balance once again to the Republicans -- but no reorganization was completed at that time since the Senate was out of session.

http://tinyurl.com/yqqzw

It depends on who the members "CAUCUS" with. Both Independents have said they will caucus with the Democrats, so if they do... the Democrats only need 49 seats to gain control of the Sennate. The 49 plus the 2 independent votes would give them 51 votes and control!
    Which is what I stated. They must declare with one or the other, they must "caucus" in order to be assigned committees and leadership roles.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle