Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Makes People Believe Slavery was the Reason for the US Civil War?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,031 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 56 Times in 52 Posts

Default What Makes People Believe Slavery was the Reason for the US Civil War?

What Makes People Believe Slavery was the Reason for the US Civil War?

Is it gullibility? Perhaps a poor education? There are actually quite a few people who have this crazy notion that slavery was the reason for the Civil War. I'm not making this up. Perhaps some of those operating under this misconception can explain how they were led to this misunderstanding. Inquiring minds really want to know.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

go soak your head in a bucket

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,762 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IBDaMann View Post

Is it gullibility? Perhaps a poor education? There are actually quite a few people who have this crazy notion that slavery was the reason for the Civil War. I'm not making this up. Perhaps some of those operating under this misconception can explain how they were led to this misunderstanding. Inquiring minds really want to know.

That is a very nice trolling attempt.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

(((The media))) tells us that.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    That is a very nice trolling attempt.
    There's no trolling involved. It was an sincere and honest question. You can tell because the question was clear, easy and straightforward ... and leftists refuse to answer.

That's how you know.

Anyway, the obvious answer returns us to how leftists let their slavemasters do their thinking for them and how they don't have permission to address questions like mine on their own.

... but if you want to answer, I promise I won't tell anyone, i.e. it'll be just between you and me. Cross my heart, hope to die.

[I'll give you a little help - your official response must deny something important and fundamental]

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    (((The media))) tells us that.
    We should be listening to (unrevised) history books. Leftists want me to believe that some slaves were picking cotton on a plantation and a hockey game, er, um, a civil war broke out.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,786 Times in 33,644 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

The letter of succession by the States of Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Frank Apisa (08-02-2020)

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

We should be listening to (unrevised) history books. Leftists want me to believe that some slaves were picking cotton on a plantation and a hockey game, er, um, a civil war broke out.

Leftists? Or the entire establishment?

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Leftists? Or the entire establishment?
    Yes, "entire establishment" would be accurate ... and that includes leftists.

It's very telling that none of the establishment are willing to elaborate on why they allow themselves to be manipulated into believing that slavery was the cause of the Civil War.

"Slavery" is not the answer to every question.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 51 Times in 48 Posts

The Confederate declarations, duh.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourdeaux Nights For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-02-2020)

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 51 Times in 48 Posts

Trolling or dumb as a sack of taters? I'll let you decide

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourdeaux Nights For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-02-2020)

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    The letter of succession by the States of Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia.
    Close. Very close. That is one step too early in the cause->effect chain

The direct cause of the Civil War was the North's invasion. The South had done nothing other than to make a peaceful declaration of secession. That is not warfare. There was no Civil War until the North picked up arms and made their incursion into the South with guns blazing. The South, opting not to die, picked up arms and fired back in self defense. Then we had a Civil War on our hands.

So I hear you saying ... OK, OK, yes, the North opting to wage war was the DIRECT cause of the war ... but what if we go one step backwards and ask what caused the North to initiate the war. At that point, yes, the direct cause of the direct cause of the war was exactly what you described:

This document represents the indirect cause of the war and is not "Slavery" either.

The direct cause, the Union army attacking the Confederacy.

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Close. Very close. That is one step too early in the cause->effect chain

The direct cause of the Civil War was the North's invasion. The South had done nothing other than to make a peaceful declaration of secession. That is not warfare. There was no Civil War until the North picked up arms and made their incursion into the South with guns blazing. The South, opting not to die, picked up arms and fired back in self defense. Then we had a Civil War on our hands.

So I hear you saying ... OK, OK, yes, the North opting to wage war was the DIRECT cause of the war ... but what if we go one step backwards and ask what caused the North to initiate the war. At that point, yes, the direct cause of the direct cause of the war was exactly what you described:

This document represents the indirect cause of the war and is not "Slavery" either.

The direct cause, the Union army attacking the Confederacy.

No, it was slavery

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/p...eceding-states

Georgia:
    The people of Georgia having dissolved their political connection with the Government of the United States of America, present to their confederates and the world the causes which have led to the separation. For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery.

Mississippi:

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Cypress (08-02-2020)

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    No, it was slavery
    Nope. You are in denial ... of the very document that I posted. That is absurd. Either you cannot read or you have been ordered to believe that "slavery" is the answer to all questions. Equally absurd.

The reason was clearly stated in the document:

Republic of Georgia.

Ordinance of Secession,

Passed Jan’ry 19, 1861.

An Ordinance to dissolve the Union between the State of Georgia and other States united with her under a compact of government, entitled “The Constitution of the United States of America:

We, the people of the State of Georgia, in Convention assembled, do declare and ordain, and it is hereby declared and ordained,that the ordinance adopted by the people of the State of Georgia, in Convention on the Second Day of January in the Year of Our Lord Seventeen Hundred and Eight-eight, whereby the Constitution of the United States of America was assented to, ratified, and adopted; and also, all acts, and parts of acts, of the General Assembly of this State, ratifying and adopting amendments of the said Constitution, are hereby Repealed, Rescinded, and Abrogated.

“We do further Declare and Ordain, that the Union now subsisting between the State of Georgia and other States, under the name of the United States of America, Is Hereby Dissolved, and that the State of Georgia is in full possession and exercise of all those rights of Sovereignty which belong and appertain to a Free and Independent State.”

George W. Crawford, of Richmond, President
    The word "slavery" is not in there. Even if it were included, that would still make it an indirect cause thrice removed. But if you try to use that logic then your argument breaks down due to bigger problems.

No one is denying that the South had slavery and awesome bread pudding. Neither was the cause of the Civil War.

Yes, the South had awesome bread pudding, but just because the South *HAD* something doesn't mean it was the cause of the Civil War. That's absurd.

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Nope. You are in denial ... of the very document that I posted. That is absurd. Either you cannot read or you have been ordered to believe that "slavery" is the answer to all questions. Equally absurd.

The reason was clearly stated in the document:

The word "slavery" is not in there. Even if it were included, that would still make it an indirect cause thrice removed. But if you try to use that logic then your argument breaks down due to bigger problems.

No one is denying that the South had slavery and awesome bread pudding. Neither was the cause of the Civil War.
    No, it was about slavery, I’m not the one in denial.