Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    It would have behooved you to clik on the link I gave

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...vp/3335831001/
    More than 100 Black male leaders, including activists, preachers, rappers and celebrities, in an open letter Monday called on Joe Biden to pick a Black woman as his running mate, saying that if he does not, he will lose the election.

the letter was created in solidarity with an April letter signed by more than 700 black women leaders – including pastors, doctors, lawyers and celebrities
    calling on Biden to "recognize and seize this moment" by picking a black woman as his running mate.
    Like you do the links I & others provide.....

click on it yourself..........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #302 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

we were talking black woman demographic - not ideology

the point is the dem party has rigid requirements for demographics.
    It wasn't just "100 men" it was what they represent - Dem Thought. Media hype.

Put it this way: if someone other then a black woman was picked -can you imagine the shrieking?
    It was baked in
    You have Bernie supporters shrieking today that he didn’t pick someone enough to the left. His pick was never going to please all his constituency.

I guess I view it being a Republican I wasn’t going to like whoever he picked so I don’t really care. If he picked Cory Booker or Julian Castro I wouldn’t be here saying it was a good choice. Same if he picked Buttieige.

3. #303 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,614 Times in 17,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    The stats show that almost all of them get longer sentences and rougher justice than your average white thug. Check out this travesty that was in the news recently.

"A Black Louisiana man will spend the rest of his life in prison for stealing hedge clippers, after the Louisiana Supreme Court denied his request to have his sentence overturned last week.

Fair Wayne Bryant, 62, was convicted in 1997 on one count of attempted simple burglary. In his appeal to the Second Circuit Court of Louisiana in 2018, his attorney, Peggy Sullivan, wrote that Bryant "contends that his life sentence is unconstitutionally harsh and excessive."

Last week, though, the state Supreme Court disagreed -- with five justices choosing to uphold the life sentence."

https://www.news-daily.com/news/worl...ed8bce09d.html
    Obvious miscarriage of justice. Unfortunately it happens, and not just to blacks. It's only the blacks that get it publicized.
    I worked with a guy who was involved with a few coke dealers. He didn't deal, but a year and a half AFTER he quit partying and started working there, he was arrested, through a Grand Jury "investigation," on 5 felony counts of possession and delivery of cocaine. All because his phone records were on one of the dealer's phone records. No physical evidence whatsoever. No local lawyer would defend him, they all wanted him to plead it out.
    Long story short, he was fired, plead it out, now has 2 felonies (he still owns his firearms) on his record and did 3 months in jail. All because the whole area's lawyers apparently were in on this "big drug bust."
    He's working, last I heard, but not making near what he was at the food service co. That was also a miscarriage of justice. And it happens quite often with aggressive and deliberate "investigations" and Grand Juries. One reason I say Grand Juries are unconstitutional. The accused cannot defend themselves, then bogus charges can be filed.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

4. #304 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

"There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

5. #305 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    You have Bernie supporters shrieking today that he didn’t pick someone enough to the left. His pick was never going to please all his constituency.

I guess I view it being a Republican I wasn’t going to like whoever he picked so I don’t really care. If he picked Cory Booker or Julian Castro I wouldn’t be here saying it was a good choice. Same if he picked Buttieige.
    I dont hear any Bernie shrieking - Biden already kowtowed away his "moderate" views with the Unity document
    This was mandatory ID politics - with the threat of losing support if he did not pick a black woman.

6. #306 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

I dont hear any Bernie shrieking - Biden already kowtowed away his "moderate" views with the Unity document
    This was mandatory ID politics - with the threat of losing support if he did not pick a black woman.
    In the 21st century there have been five Presidential elections. The three tickets were Democrats had two white people on them they lost. The two where they had a minority they won. I’m sure Biden was aware of that. Of course none of the winning tickets had a woman so he’s going against the grain there.

Biden was never going to pick Gabbart (it’s like when the liberals wanted Trump to pick Kasich, you don’t pick who the other party wants you to.). Who did you want him to choose?

7. #307 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    and your point?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

8. #308 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

In the 21st century there have been five Presidential elections. The three tickets were Democrats had two white people on them they lost. The two where they had a minority they won. I’m sure Biden was aware of that. Of course none of the winning tickets had a woman so he’s going against the grain there.

Biden was never going to pick Gabbart (it’s like when the liberals wanted Trump to pick Kasich, you don’t pick who the other party wants you to.). Who did you want him to choose?
    I think that had little if anything to do w/ it........... IMHO it was hillary that squashed her....... & she didn't even pretend otherwise w/ that random attack out of right field... Accusing her of that bull shit was certainly beneath someone that wanted to be our president.......

9. #309 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Interesting statistic.

I didn't know Gabbart was who the Republican party wanted Biden to pick.

I think Biden had no choice but to pick a black woman. If he didn't, I doubt
    he would win the election, and I believe all this "unrest" would increase.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

dukkha (08-11-2020)

11. #310 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

makes no difference as long as Susan Rice -the Long Tongued Liar on Libya is blackballed.

Im not disagreeing a black woman was a political/electoral choice0
    its the fact it's not really a choice for Biden to pick otherwise

12. #311 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,186 Times in 25,721 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    The best and easiest way to prevent unwanted pregnancies is to have clinics where Nexplanon can be inserted under the skin. I cannot see the problem when Planned Parenthood will do it free for women on Medicaid. Is it just laziness, stupidity or lack of publicity? How in the 21st century can this still be a problem? I see feminists calling for abortion on demand, but rarely for free Nexplanon implants.
    Every time the subject of birth control comes up, men either hint at or outright say that the woman should be responsible. Why should women take on the responsibility and the medical risk associated with artificial hormones? In the event that oral contraceptives fail and a pregnancy results, women still get slammed with doubts and questions about whether they forgot to take a dose or maybe they deliberately stopped without informing their partner.

There are at least four methods of birth control men can use such as condoms, withdrawal, no penetration or vasectomy. The percentage of vasectomies in the US is real low. Maybe more men should be willing to take one for the team.

As far as I'm concerned "abortion on demand" is nothing more than right-wing propaganda and another way to criticize women about their reproductive rights. I've never seen any woman demand that another woman get an abortion. Abortion is legal under Roe v. Wade and it's nobody's business whether a woman gets one or a dozen. That's between her and her conscience. And for all the men who complain they have no say-so re: their partner's abortion, there are plenty of men who actively encourage it, also. Look at the comments on this thread with men complaining they'd be stuck with 18 years of child support because "a woman spread her legs" and got pregnant, as if it were an immaculate conception. It's not popular for men to admit they'd urge their partner to abort but it happens even if men don't want to admit it.

Reproductive rights aren't a feminist issue, they are everybody's issue.

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

13. #312 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Every time the subject of birth control comes up, men either hint at or outright say that the woman should be responsible. Why should women take on the responsibility and the medical risk associated with artificial hormones? In the event that oral contraceptives fail and a pregnancy results, women still get slammed with doubts and questions about whether they forgot to take a dose or maybe they deliberately stopped without informing their partner.

There are at least four methods of birth control men can use such as condoms, withdrawal, no penetration or vasectomy. The percentage of vasectomies in the US is real low. Maybe more men should be willing to take one for the team.

As far as I'm concerned "abortion on demand" is nothing more than right-wing propaganda and another way to criticize women about their reproductive rights. I've never seen any woman demand that another woman get an abortion. Abortion is legal under Roe v. Wade and it's nobody's business whether a woman gets one or a dozen. That's between her and her conscience. And for all the men who complain they have no say-so re: their partner's abortion, there are plenty of men who actively encourage it, also. Look at the comments on this thread with men complaining they'd be stuck with 18 years of child support because "a woman spread her legs" and got pregnant, as if it were an immaculate conception. It's not popular for men to admit they'd urge their partner to abort but it happens even if men don't want to admit it.

Reproductive rights aren't a feminist issue, they are everybody's issue.
    I find amazing that you think having multiple abortions is preferable to a Nexplanon implant. As for men, black women have the most abortions at a rate of three times that of white women according to the Guttmacher Institute. Of course you'll never see the likes of BLM talking about that though. I am not against abortion so don't get me wrong but it should be a last resort not an alternate form of contraception. The Guttmacher Institute says that 40% of abortions are performed on women who've had one or more abortions already, that's truly shocking to me at least.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 08-12-2020 at 09:48 PM.

14. #313 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

makes no difference as long as Susan Rice -the Long Tongued Liar on Libya is blackballed.

Im not disagreeing a black woman was a political/electoral choice0
    its the fact it's not really a choice for Biden to pick otherwise
    Rice is already being talked up as Sec of State

She should run the War Department

15. #314 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,186 Times in 25,721 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grajonca View Post
    I find amazing that you think having multiple abortions is preferable to a Nexplanon implant. As for men, black women have the most abortions at a rate of three times that of white women according to the Guttmacher Institute. Of course you'll never see the likes of BLM talking about that though. I am not against abortion so don't get me wrong but it should be a last resort not an alternate form of contraception. The Guttmacher Institute says that 40% of abortions are performed on women who've had one or more abortions already, that's truly shocking to me at least.
    Sheesh, I don't think multiple abortions are preferable; I think of abortion as being a last resort. And if women want to have a Nexplanon implant that's terrific but it's their choice, not yours or mine. Why are you overlooking the fact that these artificial hormones may not be safe or advisable for every woman? And why do you think this should be an issue for feminists, BLM or any other group coming down the pike?

Feminists want women to choose what's best for them and I agree with that. It's nobody's business what kind of birth control people use except the people themselves. You mentioned BLM and feminists, well I don't like Catholic church's position on birth control, either; it's ludicrous that a bunch of celibate old men can preach to women how to handle their reproductive issues. The bottom line here, which you seem to be ignoring, is that no man or woman has the right to dictate birth control decisions to others.

I am sick of women being held responsible for everything from the method of birth control, abortion or no abortion, and birth. I'm sick of reading some of the men on this forum whining about women spreading their legs, which seems to be a favorite way of denigrating females. I'm sick of reading some of the men on this forum complaining on one hand that women shouldn't have abortions, and on the other hand complaining that they have to pay child support if the woman carries to term. Just once I want to see men acknowledge their part in having sex that results in a pregnancy but I probably shouldn't hold my breath. Also I note that it's the RW men who are the noisiest and nastiest about women's sex lives, why is that?

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

16. #315 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sheesh, I don't think multiple abortions are preferable; I think of abortion as being a last resort. And if women want to have a Nexplanon implant that's terrific but it's their choice, not yours or mine. Why are you overlooking the fact that these artificial hormones may not be safe or advisable for every woman? And why do you think this should be an issue for feminists, BLM or any other group coming down the pike?

Feminists want women to choose what's best for them and I agree with that. It's nobody's business what kind of birth control people use except the people themselves. You mentioned BLM and feminists, well I don't like Catholic church's position on birth control, either; it's ludicrous that a bunch of celibate old men can preach to women how to handle their reproductive issues. The bottom line here, which you seem to be ignoring, is that no man or woman has the right to dictate birth control decisions to others.

I am sick of women being held responsible for everything from the method of birth control, abortion or no abortion, and birth. I'm sick of reading some of the men on this forum whining about women spreading their legs, which seems to be a favorite way of denigrating females. I'm sick of reading some of the men on this forum complaining on one hand that women shouldn't have abortions, and on the other hand complaining that they have to pay child support if the woman carries to term. Just once I want to see men acknowledge their part in having sex that results in a pregnancy but I probably shouldn't hold my breath. Also I note that it's the RW men who are the noisiest and nastiest about women's sex lives, why is that?
    What some other men say is not me though, I've never said anything like that. I seem to remember that Indira Ghandi instituted a forced sterilisation campaign in India for both men and women, during the Emergency in the mid 70s but that was under a Socialist government, headed up by a woman, so she gets a pass. I think contraception and sterilisation should be free, it would stop many of the problems in the US with unwanted babies.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 08-13-2020 at 08:18 PM.