Thread: Fereralist Society calls for Trumps impeachment

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Fereralist Society calls for Trumps impeachment

Arch conservative and Federalist Society co-founder Steven Calabresi has written extensively about special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe being unconstitutional, but when it came to President Donald Trump’s tweets Thursday, the game is over.

In an op-ed for the New York Times Thursday, Calabresi said that the president’s idea to delay the election are fascist and that he must be impeachmed immediately.

“I have voted Republican in every presidential election since 1980, including voting for Donald Trump in 2016,” he explained. “I wrote op-eds and a law review article protesting what I believe was an unconstitutional investigation by Robert Mueller. I also wrote an op-ed opposing President Trump’s impeachment.

“But I am frankly appalled by the president’s recent tweet seeking to postpone the November election,” he continued. “Until recently, I had taken as political hyperbole the Democrats’ assertion that President Trump is a fascist. But this latest tweet is fascistic and is itself grounds for the president’s immediate impeachment again by the House of Representatives and his removal from office by the Senate.”

He noted that the United States has faced a number of difficult times from the Civil War to the Great War and World War II. There was the Great Depression, the massive 2007 recession, presidential candidates have been shot and killed, protests broke out during political conventions and a slew of natural disasters have struck. At no point has the American election ever been delayed.

But Calabresi took it a step further, noting that not only is Trump wrong, but anyone who agrees with him has no business being in elected office.

“President Trump needs to be told by every Republican in Congress that he cannot postpone the federal election. Doing so would be illegal, unconstitutional and without precedent in American history. Anyone who says otherwise should never be elected to Congress again,” he closed.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to floridafan For This Post:

Charoite (07-31-2020), Guno צְבִי (07-30-2020), PoliTalker (07-31-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,096 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 80 Times in 80 Posts

I wonder if he thought that Starr's investigation into Clinton's affair with Lewinsky was unconstitutional as well?
    Please leave your Trump 2024 signs in your yard. That way, my dog will know where to take a dump.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tacomaman For This Post:

Jack (07-31-2020), PoliTalker (07-31-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,304 Times in 13,425 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Get back to us when it happens. Trump talks so much smack it's impossible to know if he's serious or just trolling.

6. The Following User Groans At T. A. Gardner For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (07-30-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Get back to us when it happens. Trump talks so much smack it's impossible to know if he's serious or just trolling.
    The president should not be trolling. Trump is too stupid to understand this, but the president's words actually have huge consequences.
    Some here have suggested that he was trolling when he said people should be arrested for burning the flag. Well, even if that's true, we now have thousands of his drooling idiots who really do believe burning the flag should be illegal. This is going to have consequences and they're very bad for freedom of speech.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Jack (07-31-2020)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

He is always serious. The President is serious all the time.

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,785 Times in 17,104 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,344 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries

Which one is it? If he's serious, it's worrisome. If he's just trolling, it's still worrisome.

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    Arch conservative and Federalist Society co-founder Steven Calabresi has written extensively about special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe being unconstitutional, but when it came to President Donald Trump’s tweets Thursday, the game is over.

In an op-ed for the New York Times Thursday, Calabresi said that the president’s idea to delay the election are fascist and that he must be impeachmed immediately.

“I have voted Republican in every presidential election since 1980, including voting for Donald Trump in 2016,” he explained. “I wrote op-eds and a law review article protesting what I believe was an unconstitutional investigation by Robert Mueller. I also wrote an op-ed opposing President Trump’s impeachment.

“But I am frankly appalled by the president’s recent tweet seeking to postpone the November election,” he continued. “Until recently, I had taken as political hyperbole the Democrats’ assertion that President Trump is a fascist. But this latest tweet is fascistic and is itself grounds for the president’s immediate impeachment again by the House of Representatives and his removal from office by the Senate.”

He noted that the United States has faced a number of difficult times from the Civil War to the Great War and World War II. There was the Great Depression, the massive 2007 recession, presidential candidates have been shot and killed, protests broke out during political conventions and a slew of natural disasters have struck. At no point has the American election ever been delayed.

But Calabresi took it a step further, noting that not only is Trump wrong, but anyone who agrees with him has no business being in elected office.

“President Trump needs to be told by every Republican in Congress that he cannot postpone the federal election. Doing so would be illegal, unconstitutional and without precedent in American history. Anyone who says otherwise should never be elected to Congress again,” he closed.
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

This asshole is a little late to the Party.

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post

14. #10 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,615 Times in 17,054 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Do you people really think Trump will postpone the election? Really?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This asshole is a little late to the Party.
    Yep, but better late than never...

Now he is a never trumper-let history be rewritten.......
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Yep, but better late than never...

Now he is a never trumper-let history be rewritten.......
    Let's see, there's August, September, October, then the Election. And this guy is all of a sudden stepping forward with a broad proclamation of 'Trump should be Impeached!'. Not really sure if I buy into the sincerity here. (call me skeptical)

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I don't know him so I can't speak for his sincerity either, but then I don't care much either..

His defection is enough for me & I hope he spreads the word...........

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,324 Times in 2,774 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 209 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Do you people really think Trump will postpone the election? Really?
    No, because he can't. What may cause problems is if he thinks he can and tries it.

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Also if some politicians support it........

Unfortunately you have lots of cowards in congress that are deathly afraid of him...... The real men & women packed up a few years ago.

Other than Mitt, is there really anyone w/ the backbone to stand up to him??

Look @ linsey, he went from calling trump names to his biggest whore, & cruz?? Really, is there any excuse for that?? Insulted his wife & dad & he now kisses his ass..SHAME