Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: So remember when I said Trump will try to cancel the election and Flash disagreed?

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,761 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    We've been through this several times, I even showed you how spending was cut on Pell Grants, and you completely ignored it.
    So, a family that has no kids in college or not getting a Pell Grant is not spending more on education and therefore has more money to spend?

Any cuts to Pell Grants were not necessarily tied to tax cuts. You can do one without the other and we increase spending all the time without tax increases.

If the family has health insurance paid by the employer they are not spending more so they have more money to spend.

That still leaves millions of families not paying more for education and health care with more money to spend.

But you oppose paying people higher wages too.
    Another complete lie. Arguing with straw men again.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,424 Times in 10,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    So, a family that has no kids in college or not getting a Pell Grant is not spending more on education and therefore has more money to spend?
    That they're not spending on health care? It is about 20% of our GDP.

Any cuts to Pell Grants were not necessarily tied to tax cuts. You can do one without the other and we increase spending all the time without tax increases.
    But they were tied to tax cuts...the tax cut created a deficit that had to be closed. So tax cuts are really a stealth attack on spending. We saw it happen in Kansas with their State University system after the Brownback trickle down failure.

f the family has health insurance paid by the employer they are not spending more so they have more money to spend.
    Ummm...if you get health insurance through your employer, chances are you are still paying premiums, deductibles, copays, coinsurance, hospital fees, ambulance fees, dental, vision, and prescription drugs. Those costs never go down, always up. The employer usually doesn't pay the full cost. They pay a portion and the worker pays a portion. So they're still paying money to a health insurance company instead of spending it in the consumer economy, where it has the highest multiplier effect.

The average worker spends about $6K every year for health care coverage through their employer. PLUS another $1,500 a year in deductibles for a total of about $7,500 OOPE annually.

Two years ago, premiums used to be $5K.

So the average amount a worker pays in premiums has increased 20% in just a couple years.

hat still leaves millions of families not paying more for education and health care with more money to spend.
    That works from the assumption that the 150M workers that have employer-sponsored care don't pay premiums, deductibles, etc.

But nearly all of them do. It is very rare for an employer to pick up the full cost and not have the worker also pay a share.

Another complete lie. Arguing with straw men again.
    Ah, so then you support raising the MW to at least $15/hr?
    Last edited by LV426; 07-30-2020 at 03:17 PM.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Sophistry at its worst. I didn't support cutting taxes without spending cuts. And I don't support cutting taxes. They are already low enough.
    If you support low taxes, you support cutting taxes because you can't get to low taxes without cutting them.

So at what point are low taxes too low for you?

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    You are fucking right that I'm a mindless fuckwit.
    I know, right?.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It is within the President's power to hold up Congressionally-approved aid to a foreign country for political purposes?
    nope, just within the VP's power, apparently......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    nope, just within the VP's power, apparently......
    Ah, so take me through the steps of how Biden was able to accomplish that.

7. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I will need this explained to me again, because I am slow witted and haven't watched the news in the last three years
    have you ever actually watched the video of Biden bragging about it?.......

8. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

But they were tied to tax cuts...the tax cut created a deficit that had to be closed. So tax cuts are really a stealth attack on spending. We saw it happen in Kansas with their State University system after the Brownback trickle down failure.
    Not true. If the deficit had to be closed it would not have increased; instead, government just borrows more money and increases the deficit. State governments, on the other hand, are often constitutionally required to balance their budget and must close the deficit or raise taxes.

The U. S. workforce is about 155 million and about 6.8 million receive Pell Grants. That leaves 148 million workers who had more money to spend with a tax cut that did not have increased educational costs.

Ummm...if you get health insurance through your employer, chances are you are still paying premiums, deductibles, copays, coinsurance, hospital fees, ambulance fees, dental, vision, and prescription drugs. Those costs never go down, always up. The employer usually doesn't pay the full cost. They pay a portion and the worker pays a portion. So they're still paying money to a health insurance company instead of spending it in the consumer economy, where it has the highest multiplier effect.
    Correct. Since the employer and employee are sharing the health care costs the government is not paying for this and any health care cuts caused by the tax cuts do not affect these employees. As you say, those "costs never go down, always up." So even without a tax cut those costs are going up. With a tax cut the increased healthcare costs can be somewhat lessened by the increased cash from the tax cut.

Ah, so then you support raising the MW to at least $15/hr?
    The way to increase wages is to get better experience, education, and training making the employee more skilled and worth the $15 an hour. A high school drop-out who has no training or skills is not worth the same wages as a skilled employee.

I have told you all this on several occasions. Why do I have to continually repeat it?

9. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you support low taxes, you support cutting taxes because you can't get to low taxes without cutting them.

So at what point are low taxes too low for you?
    We don't need to cut any more. It is about right. It is therefore unnecessary to cut taxes to get low taxes.

10. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Really? I was right when I said the Russia Tax Cut would lead to a recession and never eclipse Obama's best annual and quarterly GDP.

I was also right when I said that reopening states was a mistake and would lead to a surge, with businesses that opened having to close for good...like this one:

Castle Rock restaurant that defied public health order in May closes permanently two months later
    https://www.denverpost.com/2020/07/2...aurant-closed/

I was right when I said the Democrats would win the House in 2018.

I was right when I said the House would impeach Trump.

So...what have you been right about? Not tax cuts.
    You were wrong when you said primaries elections are not automatically cancelled in some states if there is not competition and you admitted you were wrong:

[LV426]: And no, primaries weren't automatically cancelled. The GOP cancelled some of theirs to protect Trump. Primaries don't get "automatically cancelled"; they are only cancelled by the party or state in which they are happening. The GOP cancelled several primaries before the Outbreak. So they've already cancelled some. The precedent has been set. (4/6/20)

[LV426]You're right. I was wrong about that. (4/6/20)

You were wrong when you said stimulus checks are only credits toward future taxes:

[LV426]: “You didn't read the fine print of this legislation.
    They're credits against future taxes paid.

You challenged my claim that there is a general consensus that mail-in balloting is the most common type of voter fraud and I proved I was right.

And, you were wrong about 1st Amendment rights.

11. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well....

Drumpf floats delaying election despite lack of authority to do so
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/polit...ity/index.html

And before anyone says he can't do that, remember that he couldn't also extort Ukraine for political gain, couldn't kidnap children and lock them in cages (or worse), couldn't send unmarked and unidentified "federal agents" to kidnap people off the street, and couldn't let key bureaucratic positions go unstaffed.
    I asked if he would try to pull something if he lost, & his fans scoffed........... 02-27-2019

Sadly many would support his illegal attempt.........

You know the kind, the strict constitutionalist, those willing to die for the constitution etc etc etc...

Toss all that out on the flimsiest of excuses to support their hero from tv...........
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."