Members banned from this thread: Primavera, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.2, CFM, TOP, Earl and Cancel 2020.2


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Underwater Station

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    59,023
    Thanks
    78,872
    Thanked 37,533 Times in 24,074 Posts
    Groans
    2,530
    Groaned 4,359 Times in 4,039 Posts

    Default Underwater Station

    This is very exciting news to me. We know so little about the unexplored oceans.

    https://allthatsinteresting.com/underwater-space-station-proteus


    Yves Behar described the structure as “the ocean’s equivalent to the International Space Station.”

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

    Cypress (07-29-2020), Dutch Uncle (07-29-2020), OG Yurt (07-30-2020)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    23,023
    Thanks
    1,357
    Thanked 6,036 Times in 4,937 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 251 Times in 240 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    This is very exciting news to me. We know so little about the unexplored oceans.

    https://allthatsinteresting.com/underwater-space-station-proteus


    Yves Behar described the structure as “the ocean’s equivalent to the International Space Station.”
    Sounds even more useless than the near Earth orbit space station....I need to hear concrete benefits other that a few people will have a cool time living underwater....will have stories to tell.

    It at least needs to be mobile.
    If you are not willing to ruffle a few feathers, disturb a few minds, then you are damn near useless.

  4. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    46,216
    Thanks
    14,079
    Thanked 20,486 Times in 16,063 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,202 Times in 2,160 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Sounds even more useless than the near Earth orbit space station....I need to hear concrete benefits other that a few people will have a cool time living underwater....will have stories to tell.

    It at least needs to be mobile.
    The computer you are so casually using to bitch about tech was due, in part, due to the Apollo program along with several other spinoffs. That's a concrete benefit now which wasn't seen in 1965. That's the funny thing about R&D, it's like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. Remember how the microwave oven came to be?

    https://www.npr.org/2019/07/20/74237...-back-on-earth

    https://spinoff.nasa.gov/flyers/apollo.htm
    Stripping Americans of their rights, regardless if unalienable or unenumerated, is against American ideals

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dutch Uncle For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (07-30-2020)

  6. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    23,023
    Thanks
    1,357
    Thanked 6,036 Times in 4,937 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 251 Times in 240 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    The computer you are so casually using to bitch about tech was due, in part, due to the Apollo program along with several other spinoffs. That's a concrete benefit now which wasn't seen in 1965. That's the funny thing about R&D, it's like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. Remember how the microwave oven came to be?

    https://www.npr.org/2019/07/20/74237...-back-on-earth

    https://spinoff.nasa.gov/flyers/apollo.htm

    I want/need to be hearing what we have gotten for the almost $200 billion we have invested in the ISS, and what exactly we should get for this investment should we do it...as well as how much it should cost, understanding that cost estimates tend to be wildly not correct because our experts tend to suck.
    If you are not willing to ruffle a few feathers, disturb a few minds, then you are damn near useless.

  7. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    46,216
    Thanks
    14,079
    Thanked 20,486 Times in 16,063 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 2,202 Times in 2,160 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I want/need to be hearing what we have gotten for the almost $200 billion we have invested in the ISS, and what exactly we should get for this investment should we do it...as well as how much it should cost, understanding that cost estimates tend to be wildly not correct because our experts tend to suck.
    Dyam! You talk like a 1960s Liberal. Surprising.

    Here ya go, some tech even golf-cheat Trump would appreciate:
    https://spinoff.nasa.gov/flyers/ISSspin.html

    https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2011/iss_spinoffs.html
    Stripping Americans of their rights, regardless if unalienable or unenumerated, is against American ideals

  8. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    23,023
    Thanks
    1,357
    Thanked 6,036 Times in 4,937 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 251 Times in 240 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Dyam! You talk like a 1960s Liberal. Surprising.

    Here ya go, some tech even golf-cheat Trump would appreciate:
    https://spinoff.nasa.gov/flyers/ISSspin.html

    https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2011/iss_spinoffs.html
    1) I was a D from 1982 till 1987, when I had to leave because of the stench on the Left of "Dont talk about that, THAT would not be productive!".

    2) I have been claiming to be a socialist for two decades.
    If you are not willing to ruffle a few feathers, disturb a few minds, then you are damn near useless.

  9. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    49,122
    Thanks
    81,421
    Thanked 38,948 Times in 24,788 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,024 Times in 3,774 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Won't that damage the ocean?
    “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

  10. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    59,023
    Thanks
    78,872
    Thanked 37,533 Times in 24,074 Posts
    Groans
    2,530
    Groaned 4,359 Times in 4,039 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Won't that damage the ocean?
    I can’t imagine Costeau being involved in anything that would damage the ocean, but it’s a good question.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (07-29-2020)

  12. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    49,122
    Thanks
    81,421
    Thanked 38,948 Times in 24,788 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,024 Times in 3,774 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I can’t imagine Costeau being involved in anything that would damage the ocean, but it’s a good question.
    Well, we got a surprise the other day. Some private aerospace company wants to build a space port here for "vertical launches." We were all excited until we found out WHERE they want to put it. On the lake shore. Carving out a huge swatch of woods for it. About five miles to our south. Activate the NIMBY Squad!
    “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

  13. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    59,023
    Thanks
    78,872
    Thanked 37,533 Times in 24,074 Posts
    Groans
    2,530
    Groaned 4,359 Times in 4,039 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Well, we got a surprise the other day. Some private aerospace company wants to build a space port here for "vertical launches." We were all excited until we found out WHERE they want to put it. On the lake shore. Carving out a huge swatch of woods for it. About five miles to our south. Activate the NIMBY Squad!
    Oh, no! I can’t imagine the impact.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (07-29-2020)

  15. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 831 Posts
    Groans
    27
    Groaned 47 Times in 43 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Well, we got a surprise the other day. Some private aerospace company wants to build a space port here for "vertical launches." We were all excited until we found out WHERE they want to put it. On the lake shore. Carving out a huge swatch of woods for it. About five miles to our south. Activate the NIMBY Squad!
    who owns the land? private or government?

  16. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    36,262
    Thanks
    18,119
    Thanked 24,612 Times in 12,756 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 2,326 Times in 2,090 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    This is very exciting news to me. We know so little about the unexplored oceans.

    https://allthatsinteresting.com/underwater-space-station-proteus


    Yves Behar described the structure as “the ocean’s equivalent to the International Space Station.”
    Good to see the Cousteau family legacy carries on!

    That Jacques Cousteau TV show was one of my favorite as a kid

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    Phantasmal (07-29-2020), signalmankenneth (07-29-2020)

  18. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    59,023
    Thanks
    78,872
    Thanked 37,533 Times in 24,074 Posts
    Groans
    2,530
    Groaned 4,359 Times in 4,039 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Good to see the Cousteau family legacy carries on!

    That Jacques Cousteau TV show was one of my favorite as a kid
    Mine as well. My nephew and his wife dive with him. My nephew is a very accomplished underwater photographer.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

    Cypress (07-29-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-29-2020)

  20. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    36,262
    Thanks
    18,119
    Thanked 24,612 Times in 12,756 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 2,326 Times in 2,090 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Mine as well. My nephew and his wife dive with him. My nephew is a very accomplished underwater photographer.
    Holy smoke - extraordinary!

  21. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    59,023
    Thanks
    78,872
    Thanked 37,533 Times in 24,074 Posts
    Groans
    2,530
    Groaned 4,359 Times in 4,039 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Holy smoke - extraordinary!
    His photos are beautiful. They have no children and take dive trips all over the world. His cameras and bulldogs are his babies.

Similar Threads

  1. Nigerian survives two days at sea, in underwater air pocket
    By Primavera in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2013, 05:33 PM
  2. Liberal darling Musk plans to make underwater car
    By Big Money in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2013, 10:43 AM
  3. on the underwater oil rig/pipelines front
    By Don Quixote in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 07:46 PM
  4. Nearly 25% of all mortgages are underwater
    By signalmankenneth in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM
  5. APP - shrinking artic ice and pacific islands going underwater
    By Don Quixote in forum Above Plain Politics Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 07:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •