Members banned from this thread: Primavera, Truth Detector, canceled.2021.2, CFM, TOP, Earl and Cancel 2020.2


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Underwater Station

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58,972
    Thanks
    78,840
    Thanked 37,498 Times in 24,050 Posts
    Groans
    2,530
    Groaned 4,359 Times in 4,039 Posts

    Default Underwater Station

    This is very exciting news to me. We know so little about the unexplored oceans.

    https://allthatsinteresting.com/underwater-space-station-proteus


    Yves Behar described the structure as “the ocean’s equivalent to the International Space Station.”

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

    Cypress (07-29-2020), Dutch Uncle (07-29-2020), OG Yurt (07-30-2020)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    22,963
    Thanks
    1,354
    Thanked 6,028 Times in 4,929 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 250 Times in 239 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    This is very exciting news to me. We know so little about the unexplored oceans.

    https://allthatsinteresting.com/underwater-space-station-proteus


    Yves Behar described the structure as “the ocean’s equivalent to the International Space Station.”
    Sounds even more useless than the near Earth orbit space station....I need to hear concrete benefits other that a few people will have a cool time living underwater....will have stories to tell.

    It at least needs to be mobile.
    If you are not willing to ruffle a few feathers, disturb a few minds, then you are damn near useless.

  4. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    49,048
    Thanks
    81,314
    Thanked 38,890 Times in 24,742 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,024 Times in 3,774 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Won't that damage the ocean?
    “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

  5. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58,972
    Thanks
    78,840
    Thanked 37,498 Times in 24,050 Posts
    Groans
    2,530
    Groaned 4,359 Times in 4,039 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Won't that damage the ocean?
    I can’t imagine Costeau being involved in anything that would damage the ocean, but it’s a good question.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (07-29-2020)

  7. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    36,242
    Thanks
    18,100
    Thanked 24,584 Times in 12,739 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 2,324 Times in 2,088 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    This is very exciting news to me. We know so little about the unexplored oceans.

    https://allthatsinteresting.com/underwater-space-station-proteus


    Yves Behar described the structure as “the ocean’s equivalent to the International Space Station.”
    Good to see the Cousteau family legacy carries on!

    That Jacques Cousteau TV show was one of my favorite as a kid

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    Phantasmal (07-29-2020), signalmankenneth (07-29-2020)

  9. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ravenhenge in the Northwoods
    Posts
    49,048
    Thanks
    81,314
    Thanked 38,890 Times in 24,742 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 4,024 Times in 3,774 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I can’t imagine Costeau being involved in anything that would damage the ocean, but it’s a good question.
    Well, we got a surprise the other day. Some private aerospace company wants to build a space port here for "vertical launches." We were all excited until we found out WHERE they want to put it. On the lake shore. Carving out a huge swatch of woods for it. About five miles to our south. Activate the NIMBY Squad!
    “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -- Gandhi

  10. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58,972
    Thanks
    78,840
    Thanked 37,498 Times in 24,050 Posts
    Groans
    2,530
    Groaned 4,359 Times in 4,039 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Good to see the Cousteau family legacy carries on!

    That Jacques Cousteau TV show was one of my favorite as a kid
    Mine as well. My nephew and his wife dive with him. My nephew is a very accomplished underwater photographer.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

    Cypress (07-29-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-29-2020)

  12. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    22,963
    Thanks
    1,354
    Thanked 6,028 Times in 4,929 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 250 Times in 239 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    When was the last time anyone heard about any important science that came out of the low Earth orbit space station? They spend almost all of their time keeping the station operational, almost none of what was promised ever happened.
    If you are not willing to ruffle a few feathers, disturb a few minds, then you are damn near useless.

  13. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58,972
    Thanks
    78,840
    Thanked 37,498 Times in 24,050 Posts
    Groans
    2,530
    Groaned 4,359 Times in 4,039 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Well, we got a surprise the other day. Some private aerospace company wants to build a space port here for "vertical launches." We were all excited until we found out WHERE they want to put it. On the lake shore. Carving out a huge swatch of woods for it. About five miles to our south. Activate the NIMBY Squad!
    Oh, no! I can’t imagine the impact.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

    ThatOwlWoman (07-29-2020)

  15. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    36,242
    Thanks
    18,100
    Thanked 24,584 Times in 12,739 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 2,324 Times in 2,088 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Mine as well. My nephew and his wife dive with him. My nephew is a very accomplished underwater photographer.
    Holy smoke - extraordinary!

  16. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58,972
    Thanks
    78,840
    Thanked 37,498 Times in 24,050 Posts
    Groans
    2,530
    Groaned 4,359 Times in 4,039 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Holy smoke - extraordinary!
    His photos are beautiful. They have no children and take dive trips all over the world. His cameras and bulldogs are his babies.

  17. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    36,242
    Thanks
    18,100
    Thanked 24,584 Times in 12,739 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 2,324 Times in 2,088 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    When was the last time anyone heard about any important science that came out of the low Earth orbit space station? They spend almost all of their time keeping the station operational, almost none of what was promised ever happened.
    There is exactly zero chance humans will ever travel to Mars, or even extended stays on the moon, unless we have experience with long term human habitation of space.

    I doubt either you or I are informed enough to pass judgement of the nature of the science conducted at the ISS.

    Wrapping up, any international effort that requires the cooperation of multiple nations to work on the advancement of human knowlege and technology has huge intangible benefits to the international community beyond scientific experiments

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    Phantasmal (07-29-2020)

  19. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Olympia, Wa
    Posts
    22,963
    Thanks
    1,354
    Thanked 6,028 Times in 4,929 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 250 Times in 239 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    There is exactly zero chance humans will ever travel to Mars, or even extended stays on the moon, unless we have experience with long term human habitation of space.

    I doubt either you or I are informed enough to pass judgement of the nature of the science conducted at the ISS.

    Wrapping up, any international effort that requires the cooperation of multiple nations to work on the advancement of human knowlege and technology has huge intangible benefits to the international community beyond scientific experiments
    Ya they claim that they are working towards Mars by gaining experience with humans in space, but I have heard of nothing concrete, which almost certainly means that it is a lie, because if it were true they would be talking a lot in detail about all that they were accomplishing.

    BTW: This is not exactly "in space"...the space station is in low earth orbit.
    If you are not willing to ruffle a few feathers, disturb a few minds, then you are damn near useless.

  20. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    36,242
    Thanks
    18,100
    Thanked 24,584 Times in 12,739 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 2,324 Times in 2,088 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Ya they claim that they are working towards Mars by gaining experience with humans in space, but I have heard of nothing concrete, which almost certainly means that it is a lie, because if it were true they would be talking a lot in detail about all that they were accomplishing.

    BTW: This is not exactly "in space"...the space station is in low earth orbit.
    Your level of expertise on planetary science, engineering, and astrophysics is close to nil - as is mine - meaning you are not informed enough to have a valid opinion.

    If you supported spending a trillion dollars on the Iraq War Disaster, then you can sit back and keep quite while we spend a few billion on the ISS

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    Phantasmal (07-29-2020)

  22. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    66,306
    Thanks
    17,845
    Thanked 17,928 Times in 13,480 Posts
    Groans
    628
    Groaned 1,123 Times in 1,067 Posts

    Default

    I don't have expertise in the potential solutions (engineering, astrophysics, medicine, etc.), but, the enormous amount of challenges which we need to overcome to have astronauts do more than visit Mars for a quick photo-op makes me skeptical that we can maintain their safety or benefit much from their journey.

Similar Threads

  1. Nigerian survives two days at sea, in underwater air pocket
    By Primavera in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2013, 05:33 PM
  2. Liberal darling Musk plans to make underwater car
    By Big Money in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2013, 10:43 AM
  3. on the underwater oil rig/pipelines front
    By Don Quixote in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 07:46 PM
  4. Nearly 25% of all mortgages are underwater
    By signalmankenneth in forum Off Topic Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM
  5. APP - shrinking artic ice and pacific islands going underwater
    By Don Quixote in forum Above Plain Politics Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 07:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •