Thread: When is telling the truth about someone like AOC considered an insult?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Default When is telling the truth about someone like AOC considered an insult?

'I am someone's daughter too.' Read Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's full speech responding to Rep. Ted Yoho

WASHINGTON – Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., took to the House floor Thursday morning to deliver a candid rebuke of sexism in Congress and beyond in response to comments from Rep. Ted Yoho, R-Fla., who had reportedly called her a vulgar insult.

In comments overheard by a reporter for The Hill newspaper, Yoho confronted Ocasio-Cortez on a staircase in the Capitol on Tuesday, calling her "disgusting" for her comments linking poverty and crime. As she left, Yoho said, '"fucking bitch" according to The Hill.

Yoho denied he had targeted the profane remarks at Ocasio-Cortez in an apology delivered on the House floor Wednesday morning.

"Having been married for 45 years with two daughters, I'm very cognizant of my language," he said. "The offensive name-calling words attributed to me by the press were never spoken to my colleagues and if they were construed that way, I apologize for their misunderstanding."

Ocasio-Cortez, however, said Yoho was "'refusing responsibility" in his apology, in a speech that quickly went viral.

Read Ocasio-Cortez's full speech below:

More: 'He didn't even say my name': Ocasio-Cortez not satisfied with apology from Yoho, who denied insult

More: 'Having a daughter does not make a man decent': Ocasio-Cortez criticizes Rep. Yoho for 'refusing responsibility' in his apology

I would also like to thank many of my colleagues for the opportunity to not only speak today but for the many members from both sides of the aisle who have reached out to me in support following an incident earlier this week.

About two days ago I was walking up the steps of the Capitol when Representative Yoho suddenly turned a corner, and he was accompanied by Representative Roger Williams. And accosted me on the steps right here in front of our nation's capitol.

I was minding my own business, walking up the steps, and Representative Yoho put his finger in my face, he called me disgusting, he called me crazy, he called me out of my mind. And he called me dangerous. And then he took a few more steps and after I had recognized his – after I had recognized his comments as rude, he walked away and said, I’m rude, you're calling me rude. I took a few steps ahead and I walked inside and cast my vote.

Because my constituents send me here each and every day to fight for them. And to make sure that they are able to keep a roof over their head. That they are able to feed their families. And that they are able to carry their lives with dignity.

I walked back out and there were reporters in the front of the Capitol, and in front of reporters, Representative Yoho called me, and I quote, a f------ b----. These are the words Representative Yoho levied against a congresswoman. A congresswoman that not only represents New York’s 14th district but every congresswoman in this country because all of us have had to deal with this in some form, some way, some shape at some point in our lives.

Continued https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/5500633002

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,242 Times in 13,389 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 840 Times in 799 Posts

I think Yoho is making a classic mistake. Given the times and that AOC is a radical Leftist, he should own his comments. "Yea, I called her a bitch and that's what she is..." that sort of thing. That might make AOC and her ilk go crazy with hate but so what? Maybe he could double down and tell her to "grow a pair" or "Get over it and grow up. This is where adults work."

That would get AOC whining like a jet engine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Sailor (07-26-2020)