Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The main problem with Legacy Republicans

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsprat22 View Post
    Let me guess, all Blacks have the same character.
    How you got that from my statement is a mystery. Great Cathy Newman impression though...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Saudade For This Post:

Hermes Thoth (07-26-2020)

3. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Woko Haram View Post
    How you got that from my statement is a mystery. Great Cathy Newman impression though...
    Explain yourself then, I'm not a mind reader.

4. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,128 Times in 9,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

you are an idiot, however.

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Not really. AHZ's mention of California's change in discrimination policies is actually pretty interesting. It's being sugarcoated as improving freedoms for employers, but the background is exactly as he mentioned. The push for this policy change literally was a result of minority business owners wanting to only hire other minorities.

So, it's going to be very interesting if this is evenly enforced. This will allow minority business owners to hire only minorities, but will it allow white owners to hire only whites? I guess we'll find out.
    This isn't an example of Democrats changing their stances with the weather. The truth is, this law was never enforced against non-white people. I doubt it will be now.
    And who exactly is AHZ even talking about? If I'm asking for specific examples of people, you can't just say "the Democrats." But AHZ is just a trolly boi, so I expect this from him.

6. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We've had this discussion before regarding what constitutes mainstream Democrats vs. the fringe elements. The reason I don't see much difference between the two is because of various recent events. First, during the presidential primaries, nearly all of the Democratic candidates pledged their support for reparations. Nearly all of them pledged support for healthcare coverage for illegals. Both of those positions were certainly considered fringe a year or two ago.
    Open borders and reparations were considered fringe, but none of those Democrats, with the exception of Biden and Bernie, really had a stance against them. I do think Bernie knows how bad open borders are, he correctly identified the policy as a "Koch Brothers scheme." And his flip on it now is an example of hypocrisy, but he's been consistent on everything else. So I wouldn't say Bernie believes in nothing, but rather he's willing to fight for a few things he disagrees with so that he can fight for all the things he does agree with. As opposed to Trump who only cares about enriching himself.

And I don't know if I mentioned this last time, but "health coverage for illegals" is pretty broad and none of the Democrats actually went into detail for what they mean. Technically, I'm for health care for illegals in that if a person is rushed to the hospital, and it turns out they're illegal, I don't believe they should be left to die. I think they should be helped, but then deported. Other people would say they should be helped but not deported, and they should get medical help for absolutely anything, like an American citizen. So we don't really know where all of the individual Democrats stand on this.

Second, it's pretty clear that the Democrats have wholeheartedly bought the BLM narrative about cops. They assume there is this massive racism problem with police, when just a few years ago, this stance was also considered fringe. Yet another fringe position that has become mainstream among Democrats is to defund the police. While it is true that some versions of this involve moving funds from police to other social services, plenty of local Democrats have literally pledged to dismantle the police -- Minneapolis being the most prominent example.
    The idea that police target Blacks has been mainstream for literally decades. Defunding the police also isn't new, there is just a bigger emphasis on this now because Blacks and Browns have more political power than ever before. Basically, these are ideas Democrats already embraced, but now they're being forced to really move their ass on the subject.

I do agree that the Democrats have started sucking up to Blacks and Browns more and it's only going to get worse as America becomes more multiracial. And yeah, maybe some of them don't even believe systemic racism is real. But that's very different from flip-flopping and never doing what you say, like Trump.

7. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Judging people by their character rather than their race is a matter of treating them as individuals. For example, race doesn't really play much of a part in how I interact with a person that I know. What does play a part is their personality and preferences.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Saudade For This Post:

Lightbringer (07-26-2020)

9. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    This isn't an example of Democrats changing their stances with the weather. The truth is, this law was never enforced against non-white people. I doubt it will be now.
    And who exactly is AHZ even talking about? If I'm asking for specific examples of people, you can't just say "the Democrats." But AHZ is just a trolly boi, so I expect this from him.
    Well, the majority of California's legislature is Democrats. So, in this case, it would be those specific legislators.

10. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Judging people by their character rather than their race is a matter of treating them as individuals. For example, race doesn't really play much of a part in how I interact with a person that I know. What does play a part is their personality and preferences.
    Racist.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightbringer For This Post:

Saudade (07-26-2020)

12. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Open borders and reparations were considered fringe, but none of those Democrats, with the exception of Biden and Bernie, really had a stance against them. I do think Bernie knows how bad open borders are, he correctly identified the policy as a "Koch Brothers scheme." And his flip on it now is an example of hypocrisy, but he's been consistent on everything else. So I wouldn't say Bernie believes in nothing, but rather he's willing to fight for a few things he disagrees with so that he can fight for all the things he does agree with. As opposed to Trump who only cares about enriching himself.

And I don't know if I mentioned this last time, but "health coverage for illegals" is pretty broad and none of the Democrats actually went into detail for what they mean. Technically, I'm for health care for illegals in that if a person is rushed to the hospital, and it turns out they're illegal, I don't believe they should be left to die. I think they should be helped, but then deported. Other people would say they should be helped but not deported, and they should get medical help for absolutely anything, like an American citizen. So we don't really know where all of the individual Democrats stand on this.

The idea that police target Blacks has been mainstream for literally decades. Defunding the police also isn't new, there is just a bigger emphasis on this now because Blacks and Browns have more political power than ever before. Basically, these are ideas Democrats already embraced, but now they're being forced to really move their ass on the subject.

I do agree that the Democrats have started sucking up to Blacks and Browns more and it's only going to get worse as America becomes more multiracial. And yeah, maybe some of them don't even believe systemic racism is real. But that's very different from flip-flopping and never doing what you say, like Trump.
    My focus was more on why I find it hard to identify what is actually fringe among Democrats vs. what is mainstream. I suppose Democrats haven't flip-flopped so much as left the door open to go as extreme as possible on various issues. So, again, can we even really identify what is fringe among Democrats, if they're willing to pander to any given identity group?

13. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

My focus was more on why I find it hard to identify what is actually fringe among Democrats vs. what is mainstream. I suppose Democrats haven't flip-flopped so much as left the door open to go as extreme as possible on various issues. So, again, can we even really identify what is fringe among Democrats, if they're willing to pander to any given identity group?
    Fringe is any idea that isn't represented in mainstream politics. And that's something that continually changes. At one point, believing it's ok to have a Catholic president was a fringe left-wing idea.
    Today abolishing the police is a fringe idea among both Ancoms and Ancaps. It's not a mainstream idea because it's not being seriously talked about among mainstream Democrats or Republicans.

14. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,128 Times in 9,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 504 Times in 477 Posts
    Blog Entries

you presume an ideology in these idiots. there is none. their mindset is just a phase in cynical rulership techniques. order ab chao.

15. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,173 Times in 7,087 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

Your perception of the GOP is what happens when you let the media do the thinking for you.
    No, these are opinions I have of every Republican I have ever known personally, worked with, or associated with- over the last 20 or 30 years or so.

16. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven VanderMolen View Post
    COMPLETE post FAIL. Better luck next time.
    He's not really wrong. Trump had a few issues and projects that he wanted to pursue. Everything else was and is a transactional relationship with the voters who supported him, like appointing liberal (aka constitutionally conservative, as opposed to illiberal) judges and reversing Obama's foreign policy goals (as well as some of Bush's).

17. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fringe is any idea that isn't represented in mainstream politics. And that's something that continually changes. At one point, believing it's ok to have a Catholic president was a fringe left-wing idea.
    Today abolishing the police is a fringe idea among both Ancoms and Ancaps. It's not a mainstream idea because it's not being seriously talked about among mainstream Democrats or Republicans.
    Obvious Lie.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

18. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Obvious Lie.
    Name some Democrats who want to abolish the police.