Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: CA isn’t helping my mask skepticism

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Default CA isn’t helping my mask skepticism

California reported its largest number of new coronavirus infections in a single day Tuesday, hospitalizations hit a new high and deaths approached record levels as the state continued to lose ground in its battle against COVID-19.

The 11,142 cases recorded Tuesday were easily the most confirmed in any one day since the pandemic began, surpassing the previous record of 9,816 on July 9, according to data from The Times’ coronavirus tracker.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...ay%3f_amp=true

Per usual, the cases aren’t categorized and are all glommed together in one big number so it’s hard to know what exactly to make of it, but that’s beside the point.

CA guidelines mandated masks a month ago. And here there are setting a daily record at 11,000 cases [again, the raw numbers don’t tell us anything regarding clinical cases vs positive tests, but bear with me] so what gives?

Do masks work ‘just a bit’? I was under the impression that if we social distanced and masked, that the numbers would come down, we could open the economy up get things rocking again [well, maybe not too early, since the election isn’t till November].

Maybe someone can explain what’s going on in CA. I have my own ideas but they can wait.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Bigdog (07-16-2020), Callinectes (07-16-2020), Cancel 2020.2 (07-16-2020), Earl (07-16-2020), Into the Night (07-16-2020), Stretch (07-16-2020), Truth Detector (07-15-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    California reported its largest number of new coronavirus infections in a single day Tuesday, hospitalizations hit a new high and deaths approached record levels as the state continued to lose ground in its battle against COVID-19.

The 11,142 cases recorded Tuesday were easily the most confirmed in any one day since the pandemic began, surpassing the previous record of 9,816 on July 9, according to data from The Times’ coronavirus tracker.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...ay%3f_amp=true

Per usual, the cases aren’t categorized and are all glommed together in one big number so it’s hard to know what exactly to make of it, but that’s beside the point.

CA guidelines mandated masks a month ago. And here there are setting a daily record at 11,000 cases [again, the raw numbers don’t tell us anything regarding clinical cases vs positive tests, but bear with me] so what gives?

Do masks work ‘just a bit’? I was under the impression that if we social distanced and masked, that the numbers would come down, we could open the economy up get things rocking again [well, maybe not too early, since the election isn’t till November].

Maybe someone can explain what’s going on in CA. I have my own ideas but they can wait.
    Far too many republicans who refuse to wear face coverings.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    Far too many republicans who refuse to wear face coverings.
    So if CA went full Nazi on masks that would help?

What if masks do actually work but CA sucks at controlling their immigration? Maybe they should think about building a wall or something.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Bigdog (07-16-2020), Callinectes (07-16-2020), PostmodernProphet (07-17-2020), Saudade (07-18-2020), Truth Detector (07-15-2020)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So if CA went full Nazi on masks that would help?

What if masks do actually work but CA sucks at controlling their immigration? Maybe they should think about building a wall or something.
    CA has twice the population of FL. Now who has more Covid19 cases???????

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

CA has twice the population of FL. Now who has more Covid19 cases???????
    #deflection

Stay on topic.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Bigdog (07-16-2020), Truth Detector (07-15-2020)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 6,872 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

So?

Why is it anyone's job to make you take a basic & easy precaution?

Give me a break. Don't say you want massive re-opening and are all about the economy in one breath, and "I'm not convinced on masks" in the next.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    So?

Why is it anyone's job to make you take a basic & easy precaution?

Give me a break. Don't say you want massive re-opening and are all about the economy in one breath, and "I'm not convinced on masks" in the next.
    I’m skeptical by nature, I can’t help it lol.

As we know, I’ve also read and cited studies that contradict the prevailing wisdom. Maybe I should be careful about where I get my information and stick to what the experts are telling us.

Maybe masks do work and there’s another variable that’s being missed. The media coverage is ‘FL centric’ because DeSantis is a republican and there’s an election coming up. But things ‘are a little busy‘ in CA and CA has been ‘doing all the right things’ yet they’re still setting records.

Just trying to make sense of it. I’m inquisitive by nature, too. Maybe I should have gone into journalism. Sounds like they could use me.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Bigdog (07-16-2020), PostmodernProphet (07-17-2020), Truth Detector (07-15-2020)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

As we know, I’ve also read and cited studies that contradict the prevailing wisdom. Maybe I should be careful about where I get my information and stick to what the experts are telling us.

Maybe masks do work and there’s another variable that’s being missed. The media coverage is ‘FL centric’ because DeSantis is a republican and there’s an election coming up. But things ‘are a little busy’ CA and CA has been ‘doing all the right things’ yet they’re still setting records.

Just trying to make sense of it. I’m inquisitive by nature, too. Maybe I should have gone into journalism. Sounds like they could use me.
    Nah. You're only inquisitive when it supports your agenda. For months I told you to look at Hong Kong and other areas where 100% mask compliance clearly worked (including NY, btw).

But nah. You wait for an area that seems to contradict those findings, and then you get all "inquisitive."

Stick to the dental research.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

Charoite (07-16-2020)

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Maybe masks do work and there’s another variable that’s being missed. The media coverage is ‘FL centric’ because DeSantis is a republican and there’s an election coming up. But things ‘are a little busy‘ in CA and CA has been ‘doing all the right things’ yet they’re still setting records.

CA has 1/2 the cases that FL has with twice the population

15. The Following User Says Thank You to floridafan For This Post:

Charoite (07-16-2020)

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'll add, just for your inqisitive nature:

I don't usually make election predictions. Too much can happen. But Trump is going to get trounced. It's gonna be a Mondale map in reverse, and the GOP may lose TX for at least a few election cycles.

Know how that might have been prevented? If Trump wore a mask from day 1, and preached the basics, every day: wear a mask, wash hands, distance, test & trace.

He could have shown leadership during this generations greatest crisis. Polls out today not only have him trailing badly behind Biden, but show that people just don't believe him anymore. He could have done the right thing, saved a ton of lives, kept the economy from tanking this badly and cruised to re-election.

But he's gonna lose now. And it won't be close.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

Althea (07-17-2020)

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nah. You're only inquisitive when it supports your agenda. For months I told you to look at Hong Kong and other areas where 100% mask compliance clearly worked (including NY, btw).

But nah. You wait for an area that seems to contradict those findings, and then you get all "inquisitive."

Masks may work lol.

How many times do I have to say it? Why are they working in NY [assuming NY results are mask-related. I can’t get past the correlation doesn’t equal causation thing] and not in CA?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Bigdog (07-16-2020), Sailor (07-15-2020)

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Corona is on the rise in NYC in younger people. NYC does not have a 100% mask compliance anything. They just urge people to do it. Here: https://www.politico.com/states/new-...adults-1300223

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Corona is on the rise in NYC in younger people. NYC does not have a 100% mask compliance anything. They just urge people to do it. Here: https://www.politico.com/states/new-...adults-1300223
    "an order from Gov. Andrew Cuomo makes it mandatory only when six feet of social distancing can't be maintained".

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'll add, just for your inqisitive nature:

I don't usually make election predictions. Too much can happen. But Trump is going to get trounced. It's gonna be a Mondale map in reverse, and the GOP may lose TX for at least a few election cycles.

Know how that might have been prevented? If Trump wore a mask from day 1, and preached the basics, every day: wear a mask, wash hands, distance, test & trace.

He could have shown leadership during this generations greatest crisis. Polls out today not only have him trailing badly behind Biden, but show that people just don't believe him anymore. He could have done the right thing, saved a ton of lives, kept the economy from tanking this badly and cruised to re-election.

But he's gonna lose now. And it won't be close.
    You should have stopped at too much can happen lol.

And your analysis is too COVID-centric. Speaking of CA, since their numbers are spiking [in July] they are keeping kids out of school in the fall. Almost like they were looking for an excuse.

Democrats are making a very bad political miscalculation on school openings. It is going to piss off a lot of voters in a really big way. That isn’t ‘just a mild inconvenience’ to tens of millions of parents.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Bigdog (07-16-2020), Truth Detector (07-15-2020)

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

"an order from Gov. Andrew Cuomo makes it mandatory only when six feet of social distancing can't be maintained".
    NYC could care less what the governor says. Read the article.