1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    I’ve bent the knee on masks lol.

I’m obediently donning my virus catcher wherever it’s mandated. Mask compliance is way up in WV and I expect our numbers to drop, significantly, since ‘masks work’.

If not, I expect an explanation and not lame excuses. I’ll come and see you first.
    You are absolutely incapable of nuance. It's sublime. Masks will slow the spread of the virus. How much is dependent on a number of factors, including how widespread those mandates are and how well people comply. Good, cities mandate masks on all public places. Better, the STATE does it. Best, it is done on a national level. But they will work. There are of course many other factors impacting the spread of the virus, so it's impossible to determine how each measure impacts the overall case count. So your 'gee if counts don't go down that proves masks don't work' is the argument a simpleton would make.

To carry on my analogy, we know drunk driving laws reduce the number of drunk drivers, but the death toll from car accidents is dependent on many other factors. Seat belt usage, distracted driving, total miles driven, etc. If you had sixth grade understanding of science, you would understand that, but obviously you don't. I can't help you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-15-2020)

3. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    You are absolutely incapable of nuance. It's sublime. Masks will slow the spread of the virus. How much is dependent on a number of factors, including how widespread those mandates are and how well people comply. Good, cities mandate masks on all public places. Better, the STATE does it. Best, it is done on a national level. But they will work. There are of course many other factors impacting the spread of the virus, so it's impossible to determine how each measure impacts the overall case count. So your 'gee if counts don't go down that proves masks don't work' is the argument a simpleton would make.

To carry on my analogy, we know drunk driving laws reduce the number of drunk drivers, but the death toll from car accidents is dependent on many other factors. Seat belt usage, distracted driving, total miles driven, etc. If you had sixth grade understanding of science, you would understand that, but obviously you don't. I can't help you.
    The stupid is strong here. The only strong thing about wimpy.

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's about time we address the totalitarian drunk driving laws in place to prevent people from enjoying their constitutional freedom to have a few cocktails without having to call an Uber. Statistics show that most drunk drivers arrive home perfectly safely, and even if they do have an accident and injure someone, most will recover. These draconian laws target the restaurant, bar and liquor industries and put an unfair burden on small business owners. The impact on the economy is like something this country has never seen before. No one could imagine how bad it is. Wimpy liberals feel the need to bring along a 'designated driver' who, instead of being out spending money, is stuck drinking non-alcoholic drinks and watching their friends have fun. People who are arrested may have to serve prison time, and are often prohibited from drinking and driving for years, even in small common sense amounts.

Studies that show that alcohol impairs drivers are driven by liberal media. Fake news. Everyone knows you drive your best if you have just five or six. Alcoholics should take measures to prevent themselves from drunk driving, the rest of us need to get on with our lives. It's time to end these laws that have such a devastating impact on the economy.
    You should be able to 'Drink and Drive' ... just not 'Be Drunk and Drive'.

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

My understanding of science is that all studies are considered before drawing conclusions.

I’ve cited a good ‘review of literature’ that was multi-disciplinary and it concluded [surgical] masks were useless in preventing transmission in a clinical setting when worn by people who understand how to wear them/not wear them. You dismissed it because it doesn’t confirm your bias.

That’s exactly how ‘scientific’ you are.

So I’m basically skeptical about it but I’m open to the possibility I’m wrong. You can call it ‘dishonest’ all you want but it’s not my fault you can’t differentiate between skepticism and dishonesty.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My understanding of science is that all studies are considered before drawing conclusions.

I’ve cited a good ‘review of literature’ that was multi-disciplinary and it concluded [surgical] masks were useless in preventing transmission in a clinical setting when worn by people who understand how to wear them/not them wear them. You dismissed it because it doesn’t confirm your bias.

That’s exactly how ‘scientific’ you are.

So I’m basically skeptical about it but I’m open to the possibility I’m wrong. You can call it ‘dishonest’ all you want but it’s not my fault you can’t differentiate between skepticism and dishonesty.
    a 'review of literature' is not science. And I can tell the difference between skepticism and dishonesty. You are dishonest.

7. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts

It's about time we address the totalitarian drunk driving laws in place to prevent people from enjoying their constitutional freedom to have a few cocktails without having to call an Uber. Statistics show that most drunk drivers arrive home perfectly safely, and even if they do have an accident and injure someone, most will recover. These draconian laws target the restaurant, bar and liquor industries and put an unfair burden on small business owners. The impact on the economy is like something this country has never seen before. No one could imagine how bad it is. Wimpy liberals feel the need to bring along a 'designated driver' who, instead of being out spending money, is stuck drinking non-alcoholic drinks and watching their friends have fun. People who are arrested may have to serve prison time, and are often prohibited from drinking and driving for years, even in small common sense amounts.

Studies that show that alcohol impairs drivers are driven by liberal media. Fake news. Everyone knows you drive your best if you have just five or six. Alcoholics should take measures to prevent themselves from drunk driving, the rest of us need to get on with our lives. It's time to end these laws that have such a devastating impact on the economy.
    "An infringement of my RIGHS"? What the heck are RIGHS?

8. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

a 'review of literature' is not science. And I can tell the difference between skepticism and dishonesty. You are dishonest.
    You are clueless and a dick head.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

9. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You are clueless and a dick head.
    Nope. I'm perceptive. You know masks will help slow the spread, you just chose to lie about it in service of your Dear Leader. You tried to cover it up with bullshit, but you aren't fooling me in the least. Tough luck. Looks like I hit a nerve. I'm not surprised.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-15-2020)

11. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nope. I'm perceptive. You know masks will help slow the spread, you just chose to lie about it in service of your Dear Leader. You tried to cover it up with bullshit, but you aren't fooling me in the least. Tough luck. Looks like I hit a nerve. I'm not surprised.
    Nope, just treat dick heads like dick heads lol.

12. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Do you actually believe that it is in the interests of the citizens of this nation to allow people to drive drunk? I am all for your freedom until it places me or my family in danger. If your behavior is a serious danger to others, then we should compel people to cease that behavior.

Every day, almost 30 people in the United States die in drunk-driving crashes — that's one person every 50 minutes.

In 2010, the most recent year for which cost data is available, these deaths and damages contributed to a cost of $44 billion that year.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/drunk-driving
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

13. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatFOWLWoman View Post
    Hear hear! And just think of all the taxpayer money we will save if we liberate all the convicted DUI drivers from jail! We'll save even more by refusing to prosecute these (mostly) victimless "crimes."

Time for a letter to the editor! Here, hold my beer.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

14. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nope Darth, Concart is correct. You are being dishonest and doing a grave disservice parroting a White House narrative
    sowing doubt in what is the most important aspect in limiting the spread after social distancing and staying home.

Please give me the compendium source you site so I can tear it apart. I very much doubt any reputable peer reviewed published literature used the language "useless."

If I go to PubMed I wonder how many papers I can locate concluding masks are useful in a clinical setting? Probably few for the same reason
    I can't find studies saying water is wet.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-15-2020)

16. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If you really want to get on board, head to a bar with good internet, throw back a couple, thirteen, fourteen beers, and pen that editorial. You'll sound more like a Trump supporter with some alcohol in you.
    I knew you weren't being serious with this thread.

17. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blades View Post
    I always thought it funny that a sane sober driver can crash into anyone and even kill them and almost nothing happens,,but if a guy thats been drinking just bumps a fender hes hauled off to jail and spend thousands of dollars defending himself,,,

the drunk driver has an excuse and the sane sober driver doesnt, their just stupid,,,

18. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Concart is living proof that ignorance is bliss!
    So true. As are blades and ThatFOWLWoman.