Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.4 million Americans lost health insurance in the pandemic, more than have ever lost

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,844 Times in 14,184 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default 5.4 million Americans lost health insurance in the pandemic, more than have ever lost

The study, to be released Tuesday by the nonpartisan consumer advocacy group Families U.S.A., found that the estimated increase in uninsured laid-off workers over the three-month period was nearly 40 percent higher than the highest previous increase, which occurred during the recession of 2008 and 2009, when 3.9 million adults lost insurance.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/13/w...92e353baeffd2a
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-14-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    The study, to be released Tuesday by the nonpartisan consumer advocacy group Families U.S.A., found that the estimated increase in uninsured laid-off workers over the three-month period was nearly 40 percent higher than the highest previous increase, which occurred during the recession of 2008 and 2009, when 3.9 million adults lost insurance.

Damn. Looks like Obamacare failed again.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,274 Times in 13,406 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 842 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Again? More like continues to be a massive failure since it was never really successful to begin with.

5. The Following 2 Users Groan At T. A. Gardner For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (07-13-2020), Phantasmal (07-13-2020)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Sailor (07-13-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,151 Times in 33,855 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,083 Times in 4,699 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Again? More like continues to be a massive failure since it was never really successful to begin with.
    I think many, myself included, would not agree with you. I was very happy to be able to get insurance, I’m a cancer survivor.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (07-13-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-13-2020)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I think many, myself included, would not agree with you. I was very happy to be able to get insurance, I’m a cancer survivor.
    Anecdote is not evidence. Obamacare covers roughly the same number of people with individual policies now that had them before it was enacted. Given that most people get their health insurance through an employer, that didn't change. The 18 - 34 year old healthy individual market was wiped out by Obamacare allowing those 18 to 26 (50% of that market by age) to stay on their parent's plans. The only real increase in insured under Obamacare happened with expanded Medicaid.

Interestingly for me, the wife got Social Security disability (has this nervous disorder that makes her hands and face shake / twitch) and was given Medicare coverage. That has made more problems for us than when we just had BC/BS health insurance. Now she has to get referrals often times when she didn't before. There's been issues with Medicare accepting this or rejecting that then BC/BS saying that it should have been covered and us having to fight one or the other over billings.

Obamacare and that tax penalty thing was another mess I'm glad is gone.

If Obamacare disappeared tomorrow I doubt many would be unhappy to see it go. We can and should do better on this subject and the best start would be to get the government out of the health insurance business as much as we can.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Sailor (07-13-2020)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Anecdote is not evidence. Obamacare covers roughly the same number of people with individual policies now that had them before it was enacted. Given that most people get their health insurance through an employer, that didn't change. The 18 - 34 year old healthy individual market was wiped out by Obamacare allowing those 18 to 26 (50% of that market by age) to stay on their parent's plans. The only real increase in insured under Obamacare happened with expanded Medicaid.

Interestingly for me, the wife got Social Security disability (has this nervous disorder that makes her hands and face shake / twitch) and was given Medicare coverage. That has made more problems for us than when we just had BC/BS health insurance. Now she has to get referrals often times when she didn't before. There's been issues with Medicare accepting this or rejecting that then BC/BS saying that it should have been covered and us having to fight one or the other over billings.

Obamacare and that tax penalty thing was another mess I'm glad is gone.

If Obamacare disappeared tomorrow I doubt many would be unhappy to see it go. We can and should do better on this subject and the best start would be to get the government out of the health insurance business as much as we can.
    Anecdotal works in this case because I am a user of the ACA. You are speculating that it’s a failure, presenting no evidence that it’s a failure, except your opinion.
    52% approve of the ACA.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Anecdotal works in this case because I am a user of the ACA. You are speculating that it’s a failure, presenting no evidence that it’s a failure, except your opinion.
    52% approve of the ACA.
    It still never insured the 33 million of the poorest people in this country that needed it most. The whole reason for it supposedly.

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

52% approve of the ACA.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...ndidate-agrees

https://www.atr.org/six-years-obamac...failed-deliver

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...ent-insurance/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/7-...ans-2016-03-24

It doesn't matter where you go for information, at every turn Obamacare is characterized as a failure. Even sites friendly to the Democrats can't spin it into a success. All they can do is try to mitigate the disaster it is. Even Democrat friendly sites like the WaPo are now claiming the way to "fix" Obamacare is expand it to "Medicare for all."

The fix, in my opinion, is less government more market involvement in paying for health care. Where government is needed is forcing the stupid. lazy, and irresponsible to be the opposite of what they are but not through a wholly government run program like Medicare where they can continue to be stupid, lazy, and irresponsible.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Sailor (07-13-2020)

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...ndidate-agrees

https://www.atr.org/six-years-obamac...failed-deliver

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...ent-insurance/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/7-...ans-2016-03-24

It doesn't matter where you go for information, at every turn Obamacare is characterized as a failure. Even sites friendly to the Democrats can't spin it into a success. All they can do is try to mitigate the disaster it is. Even Democrat friendly sites like the WaPo are now claiming the way to "fix" Obamacare is expand it to "Medicare for all."

The fix, in my opinion, is less government more market involvement in paying for health care. Where government is needed is forcing the stupid. lazy, and irresponsible to be the opposite of what they are but not through a wholly government run program like Medicare where they can continue to be stupid, lazy, and irresponsible.
    Medicare is very successful. The ideal program insurance would be Medicare for all.
    Interesting all your articles have a conservative slant, I’ll pass on reading them.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,396 Times in 53,275 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

52% approve of the ACA.
    We certainly do. That's where Mr. Owl buys his insurance until he's old enough for Medicare.

We're letting the TrumpChumps derail the OP again. They have already shown how little they care about the uninsured. I guess they might learn to care when their private insurance premiums double or triple.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (07-13-2020), Phantasmal (07-13-2020)

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,856 Times in 8,415 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,290 Times in 2,172 Posts
    Blog Entries

Popeye you've been a total failure since you hatched.

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,829 Times in 17,261 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,597 Times in 4,275 Posts

It still never insured the 33 million of the poorest people in this country that needed it most. The whole reason for it supposedly.
    really. Here are the facts. You are wrong again.https://www.urban.org/sites/default/...-they-live.pdf It breaks the newly covered down quite well.

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

THANKS REPUBLICANS
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (07-13-2020)

24. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,634 Times in 10,060 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,101 Times in 1,013 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post

Thats what happens when u shut things down ..stupid goddam POS trash

Thanks Dims

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,844 Times in 14,184 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

52% approve of the ACA.
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם