Thread: John Wayne Exhibition Removed

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,614 Times in 51,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I understand you like Wayne movies and to each their own. But I do not know anybody under the age of 70 who watches Wayne movies, and I cannot even recall the last time I have heard anyone talk about John Wayne.

He might have been the Mel Gibson of the 1940 and 50s", but time has not been kind to his legacy. The vast majority of his movies are utterly forgettable, and his acting skills were mediocre at best.

People might have thought of him as an icon in the 1970s" but I think the shine had worn off that perception at this point.

I actually still know Gen Xers who will sit and watch a Humphrey Bogart or Charlton Heston movie
    Dude, first, I'm under 70. Secondly, I watched John Wayne movies and have occasionally watched them again, but I don't sit around all day watching John Wayne movies. There's plenty of new ones to watch. I've got an entire library of movies stocked up to watch but don't have the time.

Additionally, there are so many great, high quality streaming series to watch that I don't have time to watch the same one over and over again.

There are some movies I do watch once a year or so and none of them are John Wayne movies:
    Return of the Jedi
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Last Samurai
    Glory
    The Alamo (the Billy Bob Thornton one, not the POS John Wayne one)

There are other movies which I've watch a few times such as the Godfather movies. Rainy day movies where I have them on in the background but don't have to pay attention since I've seen it.

Gen Xers watching Charlton "From my cold dead hands" Heston movies? Awesome!
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,284 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Dude, first, I'm under 70. Secondly, I watched John Wayne movies and have occasionally watched them again, but I don't sit around all day watching John Wayne movies. There's plenty of new ones to watch. I've got an entire library of movies stocked up to watch but don't have the time.

Additionally, there are so many great, high quality streaming series to watch that I don't have time to watch the same one over and over again.

There are some movies I do watch once a year or so and none of them are John Wayne movies:
    Return of the Jedi
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Last Samurai
    Glory
    The Alamo (the Billy Bob Thornton one, not the POS John Wayne one)

There are other movies which I've watch a few times such as the Godfather movies. Rainy day movies where I have them on in the background but don't have to pay attention since I've seen it.

Gen Xers watching Charlton "From my cold dead hands" Heston movies? Awesome!
    I said nobody I know under 70 watches or talks about Wayne. I do not know you and I do not know 99 9999 percent of the people in this country.

Maybe I am wrong, and there are still huge amounts of people still making it a point to watch Wayne movies.

I think part of it also is that people simply do not watch westerns anymore. And that seems like it was Wayne's bread and butter. Westerns is pretty much a dead film genre.

I like Star Wars and Tom Hank's too. Forrest Gump and Private Ryan are two of my favorite movies. I have probably seen Gump 20 times

3. The Following User Groans At Cypress For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (07-14-2020)

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,173 Times in 10,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Actually it is you who continue to be a victim! But Massa promises you food stamps, and free phones, so you gotsa stay loyal to massa! My black friends laugh at you, for being such a loyal lapdog, to the very ones who oppress you!

I’m going to give you the best advice that you’ll ever get on this forum.

Stop posting now and quit making such a fucking fool of yourself, you fucking idiot. You’re making some laughably pathetic assumptions, Jethro.

Fucking clown.

5. The Following User Groans At domer76 For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (07-14-2020)

6. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,386 Times in 3,225 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 189 Times in 178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post

I’m going to give you the best advice that you’ll ever get on this forum.

Stop posting now and quit making such a fucking fool of yourself, you fucking idiot. You’re making some laughably pathetic assumptions, Jethro.

Fucking clown.
    You make it so easy asshat,
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks!
    You can't refute anything I posted!
    My black conservative friends are still laughing at you, every time you post they laugh their asses off at you !

7. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You make it so easy asshat,
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks!
    You can't refute anything I posted!
    My black conservative friends are still laughing at you, every time you post they laugh their asses off at you !

Your level of stupid just can’t be remedied, Cletus

8. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,386 Times in 3,225 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 189 Times in 178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post

Your level of stupid just can’t be remedied, Cletus
    Your town called, they would like their idiot back run along. You are the biggest troll on here, and never post anything relevant, run back to your old, rich, white democrat party, so they can tell you what to think next!

9. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Your town called, they would like their idiot back run along. You are the biggest troll on here, and never post anything relevant, run back to your old, rich, white democrat party, so they can tell you what to think next!

Says the fucking moron that doesn’t know the difference between an adjective and a noun. Illiterate fuck.

What would your “black friends” say?

10. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,927 Times in 11,514 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

John Wayne only won one Oscar for True Grit...and it was more of a lifetime award. I liked his movies just like I like Tom Cruise movies, but I think both people (as are most Hollywood flakes) are assholes.
    So you don't like anyone from Hollywood. Bigotry.

11. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I understand you like Wayne movies and to each their own. But I do not know anybody under the age of 70 who watches Wayne movies, and I cannot even recall the last time I have heard anyone talk about John Wayne.
    Argument of ignorance fallacy.
    He might have been the Mel Gibson of the 1940 and 50s, but time has not been kind to his legacy. The vast majority of his movies are utterly forgettable, and his acting skills were mediocre at best.
    Subjective opinion used as an invalid proof.
    People might have thought of him as an icon in the 1970s, but I think the shine had worn off that perception at this point.
    You seem to forget that John Wayne died in 1979...yet statues of him exist. Exhibits of him and his work exist. Museums have sections devoted to John Wayne and his movies. Even an airport is named after him. He is known throughout the world. Memorials or statues depict him in several countries. What you consider a 'mediocre actor' is an actor that is celebrated around the world.
    I actually still know Gen Xers who will sit and watch a Humphrey Bogart or Charlton Heston movie
    I know some that sit and watch a John Wayne movie as well. Heck, I know some that watch a Marx Bros. movie. Those are even older films.

12. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I said nobody I know under 70 watches or talks about Wayne. I do not know you and I do not know 99 9999 percent of the people in this country.
    You need to get out more.
    Maybe I am wrong, and there are still huge amounts of people still making it a point to watch Wayne movies.

I think part of it also is that people simply do not watch westerns anymore. And that seems like it was Wayne's bread and butter. Westerns is pretty much a dead film genre.
    Certainly not a dead genre! Hollywood released some 29 westerns in 2019. You REALLY need to get out more.
    I like Star Wars and Tom Hank's too. Forrest Gump and Private Ryan are two of my favorite movies. I have probably seen Gump 20 times
    Star Wars is a combination of a western and scifi. This combination seems to be popular and it works well. The Firefly series also used this combination. In the case of Star Wars, Lucas also combined martial art films into the combination. Mixing martial arts and westerns is not new either (Kung Fu series), and also seems to work well.

13. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

John Wayne was a draft dodger

14. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    You have already said this, and I have already responded to you. Argument by repetition fallacy. The draft board listed him as 3A, then later changed it to 2A. He was not dodging the draft.

15. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Delusional disorder.

John Wayne was a popular but one-note actor who avoided the draft, according to the article below, which explains his "super-patriotism" act in later life.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...k-reveals.html

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-14-2020)

17. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Agreed, just like Bill Clinton and Donald Trump.

18. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,920 Times in 13,189 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Agreed, just like Bill Clinton and Donald Trump.
    Read the thread. Your statement is false. Of the three, only Bill Clinton dodged the draft. Trump, like many others got a deferment--deserved or not. Wayne got deferred too several times for different reasons. Bill Clinton on the other hand deliberately signed up for ROTC, got a deferment then quit the program immediately afterwards. That is, he found a way to get deferred then failed to follow through with the program the deferment was for. Clearly he did this to dodge the draft.
    Trump's medical deferment might have been a dodge, but we don't know for sure and the military bought his medical reason.

In Wayne's case it was for age, dependents, and later for being critical to the war program in his employment.