Thread: USS Bonhomme Richard burns

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    I was always one of those guys that some how got the WOKE stuff signed off in his service record without ever showing up. There was a a command understanding about that. My worker bees might have to go but it was understood that was just for show. I know they were eternally grateful for that.

I got that in Bahrain. The whole CBR thing was glossed over for me because I thought it was bullshit, for example.
    So what are you telling me, that nothing has changed, only now the Pentagon is being honest about their having zero interest in defending the Constitution?
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,926 Times in 13,193 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    So what are you telling me, that nothing has changed, only now the Pentagon is being honest about their having zero interest in defending the Constitution?
    Politics is above my paygrade. My position was making things work as they existed. I just was so good at making things work that nobody could afford to piss me off and end up with all their shit not working or having to pay an arm and leg, breaking their budget to get it fixed.

Imagine it this way... This was recent for me... My kid tells me at five in the morning he smells smoke in the house. Instantly out of bed. I, with him investigate the whole house. I call 911 and get a non-emergency fire department response to double check my search for a source.
    An hour or so later, I go on the roof and open the air conditioner to check it because I think it might be the source. I find the capacitor for the compressor has detonated (they do that sometimes).
    It's drizzling and I really don't want to mess with it. So, I call my AC guy and shift cooling to the swamp cooler in the meantime. He comes about noon after he gets done with a couple of other service calls. He takes care of the issue and I go back on AC (due to humidity) with everything fixed. I hand him $120 cash and off he goes.

Now, if that were some schumck that didn't know shit about shit it'd have run an easy $1000 + But that's the penalty for having a liberal arts education I guess...
    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 07-30-2021 at 03:52 AM.

3. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Politics is above my paygrade. My position was making things work as they existed.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I got a kid in, a Ranger.....this shit really gets to me.

Mostly because my wife gave so much, this whole family did....and for what?

I am gone, at least for now.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

4. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I got a kid in, a Ranger.....this shit really gets to me.

Mostly because my wife gave so much, this whole family did....and for what?

I am gone, at least for now.
    I can feel for you. It does suck when the people running the show are retards.

For me, it wasn't something I so much as planned as just happened over time. I got to a position where nobody could really mess with me and saw me as a means to advance their own career so they left me alone to do whatever I did.

For example, I regularly held "trashcan" beer parties for my shop. That is on a Friday I'd ice up a couple of trashcans full of beer and soda (no one was required to drink beer) and the shop would just have good break from working. I had Chiefs and officers from other commands, etc., show up. It was informal and one of those "it never happened" things. The sort that might complain about that were met by enough brass that it went unchecked so long as nobody did anything that was an awshit.

Think a version of Sgt. Bilko...
    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 07-30-2021 at 04:03 AM.

5. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I can feel for you. It does suck when the people running the show are retards.
    This betrayal goes much deeper than that.

This is how a progressive...me...gets to voting for and supporting Trump.

6. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

This betrayal goes much deeper than that.

This is how a progressive...me...gets to voting for and supporting Trump.
    Oh, I know. I had a couple of officers over they years, two female, one male. All three suffered greatly for trying to fuck with me.

(no real names)

There was Lt. "Thunder thighs." She was a piece of work. She needed "command experience" which was why she was where she was. She ended up being relieved early...
    Then there was a Lt Cdr... I can't even remember her name. Same thing.

In both cases they came in and decided that what I was doing wasn't as important as the bureaucratic paperwork they wanted done. So, I called the Commanders, Captains, and Admirals and GS stratospheres at SpaWar, SurfPac, SubLant, SubPac, etc., and told them that my new CO didn't think their maintenance items I was making on an OPTAR (budget) bigger than hers was important so they weren't getting their parts and stuff.
    All of a sudden, they were shitting themselves as the phone calls came in about "WTF are you thinking?!" That got me in turn suddenly perfect evals and nobody wanting to mess with me...

Then there was this Lt Cdr. I swear this guy was the most bureaucratic idiot I've ever met. The way I described him was if the building was on fire and you ran into his office and told him he'd die in the fire. But if you routed him a memo attached to a report through the proper channels he'd still probably die but the paperwork would explain in excruciating detail how that happened.
    He'd send you a memo, attached to a memo, with a routing sheet with a memo on it, about a memo, and do that like twenty times a day.
    He was so fucked up in paperwork that an Admiral showed up personally to fire him.

I was saved only by having the necessary schools and quals properly documented in my service record. I used that wedge to fix things for my guys so they dodged that bullet too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Hawkeye10 (08-01-2021)

8. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,396 Times in 6,143 Posts
    Blog Entries

P.S. California is on fire.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

9. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    P.S. California is on fire.
    Who gives a shit?

10. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

11. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

he fire that destroyed the Navy amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard last year was allowed to burn for days on end due to a series of individual and systemic failures — leading to a crew that was “inadequately prepared” to battle the blaze, an internal investigation by the service has found.

The report on the disaster is expected to be publicly released Wednesday. However, multiple outlets reported Tuesday that the document details widespread lapses in training, coordination, communication, fire preparedness, equipment maintenance and overall command and control.

Most shockingly, the report lists three dozen officers and sailors whose failings either directly led to the ship’s loss or contributed to it.

“Although the fire was started by an act of arson, the ship was lost due to an inability to extinguish the fire,” writes Vice Adm. Scott Conn, former commander of the US 3rd Fleet, according to USNI News. “In the 19 months executing the ship’s maintenance availability, repeated failures allowed for the accumulation of significant risk and an inadequately prepared crew, which led to an ineffective fire response.”
    https://nypost.com/2021/10/20/navy-r...homme-richard/

Our Navy is now a disaster, it has been very poorly managed for a very long time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

anonymoose (10-20-2021)

13. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Cant/wont do their jobs worth a shit but look at how much energy and time is put into subjecting the Navy to purity tests as they burn through gobs of money.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

anonymoose (10-20-2021)

15. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,628 Times in 51,918 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...ort-san-diego/

The Navy is a complete disaster area....in my estimation the worst of the branches....we are so screwed.

This almost certainly is related to the Navy knowing for well over a decade that they dont have enough repair capacity, the problem never getting solved, and trying to gerry rig something to get by.

Navy and Washington failure to perform has no cost us a boat that we could not afford to lose.
    July 2020. Don't you mean Trump's failure to lead? LOL Can't build things if the Commander in Chief refuses to fund them.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

16. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The vessel was in the process of being switched from contractor authority to ship command authority, a process that was very poorly done which is of course all the Navy's fault. THis was the perfect time to set a fire, which to me means that it was very likely set. I also note that while the Navy constantly praises first responders it was actually very chaotic and poorly done.
    Who was Commander in Chief July 2020?

17. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

We call that command failure.

Do you notice how it always comes back to that?
    Commander in Chief failure.

18. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

https://nypost.com/2021/10/20/navy-r...homme-richard/

Our Navy is now a disaster, it has been very poorly managed for a very long time.