Thread: USS Bonhomme Richard burns

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,109 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default USS Bonhomme Richard burns

The fire broke out at 8:30 a.m. Sunday in the ship’s well deck, according to an initial internal Navy report obtained by Navy Times and the Naval Surface Force Pacific’s Twitter feed.

The entire crew has been evacuated, with 17 sailors being transported to a local hospital with “non-life-threatening injuries” along with four civilians, according to SURFPAC. There were about 160 sailors on board the ship at the time of the fire. About 1,000 sailors are assigned to Bonhomme Richard, though on weekends a small duty section is in charge of running security and overseeing contractors.
    San Diego Fire Chief Colin Stowell told CNN Sunday that the fire could burn for days “down to the water line.
    https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...ort-san-diego/

The Navy is a complete disaster area....in my estimation the worst of the branches....we are so screwed.

This almost certainly is related to the Navy knowing for well over a decade that they dont have enough repair capacity, the problem never getting solved, and trying to gerry rig something to get by.

Navy and Washington failure to perform has no cost us a boat that we could not afford to lose.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Bigdog (07-12-2020), Cancel 2020.2 (07-13-2020), Stretch (07-13-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...ort-san-diego/

The Navy is a complete disaster area....in my estimation the worst of the branches....we are so screwed.

This almost certainly is related to the Navy knowing for well over a decade that they dont have enough repair capacity, the problem never getting solved, and trying to gerry rig something to get by.

Navy and Washington failure to perform has no cost us a boat that we could not afford to lose.
    Be interesting to see what caused it.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Be interesting to see what caused it.
    Contractors getting sloppy is almost a 100% chance. The safety culture of he Navy is now completely gone, and we know where that train goes.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Contractors getting sloppy is almost a 100% chance. The safety culture of he Navy is now completely gone, and we know where that train goes.
    I did see mention of contractors. Wonder what exploded though. I agree with your last sentence also.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I did see mention of contractors. Wonder what exploded though. I agree with your last sentence also.
    Congress to include that useless prick McCain are almost certainly partly responsible here.....for at least 15 years everyone has known that the Navy does not have enough repair capacity for even the small fleet that we have much less what we are going to need to deal with China....so far as I can see not a damn thing was ever done about it. This ship burning is what happens when the Navy tries to get by without proper shipyards with competent tradesmen.

Fuck Me.

DARK AGES SUCK!

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Congress to include that useless prick McCain are almost certainly partly responsible here.....for at least 15 years everyone has known that the Navy does not have enough repair capacity for even the small fleet that we have much less what we are going to need to deal with China....so far as I can see not a damn thing was ever done about it. This ship burning is what happens when the Navy tries to get by without proper shipyards with competent tradesmen.

Fuck Me.
    Roger that.

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,262 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Give it a few minutes, and Trump and his Trumtards will find a way to blame it on Obama, Hillary, AND BIDEN!

On your mark- Get ready....Get set...................................wait for it.....1...2....3....(GUNSHOT) GO-O-O-O-O-O-O!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 07-14-2020 at 07:26 AM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

Althea (07-13-2020), christiefan915 (07-13-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-12-2020)

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Roger that.
    On capacity, the Navy has talked about the need for more certified dry docks to conduct maintenance for surface ships, but the service has struggled to entice either existing Navy contractors to build new dry docks or commercial shipyards to agree to do business with the Navy. The report makes clear just how bad that need is: for 109 surface ships that are homeported in the United States, only 21 dry docks exist to conduct routine maintenance. The situation is even worse on the West Coast, where only four dry docks service the 45 surface ships – including Independence-variant Littoral Combat Ships, which require dry docks more frequently than other classes of ships due to the trimaran hull design.

“The ratio of ships to dry docks present in the Pacific presents a significant challenge that reduces margin for schedule changes and growth. The Navy has conducted a market survey of available/potential dry docks and is developing a long-range plan to increase the number of certified dry docks in the Pacific (and elsewhere if required) to reduce this shortfall,” reads the report.
    https://news.usni.org/2019/03/21/nav...tenance-report

A fast look on the internet tells me that what the NAVY is doing to compensate is trying to push ships through their refits faster....which of course means higher risk for catastrophic failure like today as corners are cut. A year or so ago I was reading someone (expert) saying that shipyard capacity is only part of the problem...at least as bad is the shortage of the highly trained tradesmen that we need to do the work.....that is a problem that would take many years to fix, if we tried, and we have not.

DARK AGES SUCK!

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Give it a few minutes, and Trump and his Trumtards will find a way to blame it on Obama and Hillary!
    Obama did cut back a lot on the military.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

https://news.usni.org/2019/03/21/nav...tenance-report

A fast look on the internet tells me that what the NAVY is doing to compensate is trying to push ships through their refits faster....which of course means higher risk for catastrophic failure like today as corners are cut. A year or so ago I was reading someone (expert) saying that shipyard capacity is only part of the problem...at least as bad is the shortage of the highly trained tradesman that we need to do the work.....that is a problem that would take many years to fix, if we tried, and we have not.
    That is true in all shipyards. Young folks do not want to go into the trades. I see it. Same with the building trades. Good source you have there.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Obama did cut back a lot on the military.
    Obama was CINC for 8 of the years that nothing was done about the known Navy shipyard capacity problem....this is a fact.

DARK AGES SUCK!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Sailor (07-12-2020)

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That is true in all shipyards. Young folks do not want to go into the trades. I see it. Same with the building trades. Good source you have there.
    The lack of suitable and stable funding has a lot to do with it too....that is almost all on the back of Congress.

DARK AGES SUCK!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Sailor (07-12-2020)

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,242 Times in 13,967 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,054 Times in 2,849 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Give it a few minutes, and Trump and his Trumtards will find a way to blame it on Obama, Hillary, AND BIDEN!

On your mark- Get ready....Get set...................................wait for it.....1...2....3....GO-O-O-O-O-O-O!
    Pretty much a given

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Pretty much a given
    Obama gives plenty to go back on.

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Obama gives plenty to go back on.
    The theme of the Obama years is going to go down in history as "Eight critically important years, which we mostly lost".

He is still sure that he is awesome of course.

DARK AGES SUCK!