Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: USS Bonhomme Richard burns

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,350 Times in 13,456 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 846 Times in 805 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    The chances that this thing will be repaired are approx zero. Metal cant take this much abuse and be trusted. Then too there is all that water inside the hull already, with more coming.
    It makes little difference with low carbon steel like 1018 or A36 that is used in general construction. Where it is problematic is when you have alloy steels and armor plate. The big issues are warping of bulkheads and decks if they get really hot. That makes repairs to things like watertight hatches difficult. Running new electrical cable is another major PITA. These have to go in one run load to source and might go through multiple bulkheads and stuffing tubes outside the area of the fire. Larger ones for major loads are an OMG difficult thing to replace and with the armor (cable is jacketed with braided steel) it will tear up your gloves then your hands. Been there, done that.
    Equipment in the space is another major issue. Electric motors have to be replaced or rebuilt. Valves might need to go out for refurbishing. All the lagging in the space has to be replaced. The biggest issues are stuff that runs through the space but isn't in the space. So, cabling for loads elsewhere, control and communication circuits, piping for systems that run throughout the ship, that sort of thing. Those are the big issue
    With decks and bulkheads, warping is a bigger problem that loss of strength that really doesn't happen with "mild" steel. Warping makes foundations for pumps, motors, machinery, etc., not set right and square. This causes MAJOR problems getting stuff to align and not bind when turned on.

I've been there, done that, for real. It's tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands of manhours of work to get this stuff all fixed up right. Even then, if you don't have some really sharp people looking at these problems they can go unfixed simply for lack of expertise to fix them.

Ran into that on the USS Durham

http://www.boulderknoll.com/Goat_Locker/USSDurham.jpg

All the cargo booms were run by a motor-generator AC/DC set of equipment. The ship was like 50 years old when I was doing the "book" on it. The decks were warped over time and even though the sets tested good at 92C and 51A (shops) they would bind when installed. I recommended that the Navy bring in a yard like Southwest Marine or Continental who knew their stuff and have them laser level and grind the footings for these sets back into plum because they were too far out for shimming successfully.
    The Navy chose to just keep the ship in service and not use the cargo booms...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Bigdog (07-14-2020), Sailor (07-14-2020)

3. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I can smell it burning. The entire city will contract Mesothelioma.

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,196 Times in 25,727 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,614 Times in 2,498 Posts

Obama was CINC for 8 of the years that nothing was done about the known Navy shipyard capacity problem....this is a fact.
    What has trump done in the last 3-1/2 years?

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
    ― Charles Dickens

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,125 Times in 12,648 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    It makes little difference with low carbon steel like 1018 or A36 that is used in general construction. Where it is problematic is when you have alloy steels and armor plate. The big issues are warping of bulkheads and decks if they get really hot. That makes repairs to things like watertight hatches difficult. Running new electrical cable is another major PITA. These have to go in one run load to source and might go through multiple bulkheads and stuffing tubes outside the area of the fire. Larger ones for major loads are an OMG difficult thing to replace and with the armor (cable is jacketed with braided steel) it will tear up your gloves then your hands. Been there, done that.
    Equipment in the space is another major issue. Electric motors have to be replaced or rebuilt. Valves might need to go out for refurbishing. All the lagging in the space has to be replaced. The biggest issues are stuff that runs through the space but isn't in the space. So, cabling for loads elsewhere, control and communication circuits, piping for systems that run throughout the ship, that sort of thing. Those are the big issue
    With decks and bulkheads, warping is a bigger problem that loss of strength that really doesn't happen with "mild" steel. Warping makes foundations for pumps, motors, machinery, etc., not set right and square. This causes MAJOR problems getting stuff to align and not bind when turned on.

I've been there, done that, for real. It's tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands of manhours of work to get this stuff all fixed up right. Even then, if you don't have some really sharp people looking at these problems they can go unfixed simply for lack of expertise to fix them.

Ran into that on the USS Durham

http://www.boulderknoll.com/Goat_Locker/USSDurham.jpg

All the cargo booms were run by a motor-generator AC/DC set of equipment. The ship was like 50 years old when I was doing the "book" on it. The decks were warped over time and even though the sets tested good at 92C and 51A (shops) they would bind when installed. I recommended that the Navy bring in a yard like Southwest Marine or Continental who knew their stuff and have them laser level and grind the footings for these sets back into plum because they were too far out for shimming successfully.
    The Navy chose to just keep the ship in service and not use the cargo booms...
    I dont pay so I cant read this but if you can you might want to and see if your belief that there likely will be a repair still holds water:

Navy Officials Fear USS Bonhomme Richard Fire Has Damaged It Beyond Repair
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/navy-of...ir-11594677325

NOTE: Thanks for that very interesting post.
    The bottom line is that conservatives cant admit to themselves the Evil they have allowed to romp on their watch.

This is going to hurt.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,065 Times in 14,550 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,389 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Give it a few minutes, and Trump and his Trumtards will find a way to blame it on Obama, Hillary, AND BIDEN!

On your mark- Get ready....Get set...................................wait for it.....1...2....3....GO-O-O-O-O-O-O!
    "The cupboards were bare when I got here. I barely had enough of those ship thingies for my Armada"
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,350 Times in 13,456 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 846 Times in 805 Posts

I dont pay so I cant read this but if you can you might want to and see if your belief that there likely will be a repair still holds water:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/navy-of...ir-11594677325

NOTE: Thanks for that very interesting post.
    That's mostly because the people at CommNavSurfPac like N4352 (the maintenance desk... worked that too in the N4356 chair), and admirals over all that will do a cost analysis and decide on that basis. Many top brass feel the Navy already has too many LHD so it may be an excuse to decommission the ship. It doesn't help that the Navy has outsourced more and more of its maintenance to contractors rather than do it themselves. This too is a mistake in the long run as you become dependent on companies you don't control to do the repairs rather than do them in-house like they used to be done.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Bigdog (07-14-2020), Hawkeye10 (07-13-2020), Sailor (07-14-2020)

10. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,065 Times in 14,550 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,389 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    And #TRE45ON supposedly restored it.

So just where DID all the money allocated to the defense budget go, eh? Something tells me that the Navy cutting back on repair, maintenance, etc. is not because the funding isn't there. It's because someone's skimming.
    Duh Wall
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Althea For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-13-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-13-2020)

12. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christiefan915 View Post
    What has trump done in the last 3-1/2 years?
    He has moved Heaven and Earth to get the military more money and has constantly called for a larger Navy than has been planned.
    The bottom line is that conservatives cant admit to themselves the Evil they have allowed to romp on their watch.

This is going to hurt.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Bigdog (07-14-2020)

14. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,260 Times in 33,910 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,089 Times in 4,704 Posts
    Blog Entries

And #TRE45ON supposedly restored it.

So just where DID all the money allocated to the defense budget go, eh? Something tells me that the Navy cutting back on repair, maintenance, etc. is not because the funding isn't there. It's because someone's skimming.
    Well, Trump did say we were all out of bullets and he had to buy bullets for the military, so I imagine that ate up a big chunk of the budget.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Althea (07-13-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-13-2020)

16. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

He has moved Heaven and Earth to get the military more money and has constantly called for a larger Navy than has been planned.

All hat no cattle. "Called for" I called for a unicorn to shit gold bricks. Do I get credit too?

If wishes were horses then beggars would ride, if watches were swords I'd have one by my side"

Reward deeds, not talk. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. What other platitudes and aphorisms can I use?

Trump IS a total failure. You say he could have been a contenda!!! He isn't He sucks ass. Sorry.

17. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    That's mostly because the people at CommNavSurfPac like N4352 (the maintenance desk... worked that too in the N4356 chair), and admirals over all that will do a cost analysis and decide on that basis. Many top brass feel the Navy already has too many LHD so it may be an excuse to decommission the ship. It doesn't help that the Navy has outsourced more and more of its maintenance to contractors rather than do it themselves. This too is a mistake in the long run as you become dependent on companies you don't control to do the repairs rather than do them in-house like they used to be done.
    Thanks again....very interesting stuff.

This is going to hurt.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

19. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    All hat no cattle. "Called for" I called for a unicorn to shit gold bricks. Do I get credit too?

If wishes were horses then beggars would ride, if watches were swords I'd have one by my side"

Reward deeds, not talk. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. What other platitudes and aphorisms can I use?

Trump IS a total failure. You say he could have been a contenda!!! He isn't He sucks ass. Sorry.
    Getting more money for the military at the cost of other priorities and pushing constantly for a bigger Navy even as early as 2015 is doing something.

You are either really ignorant, or else a liar.

WASHINGTON — Achieving a 355-ship Navy is now national policy, but the goal is still a long way off.

When U.S. President Donald Trump signed the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act on Tuesday, it included a provision sponsored by Senate Seapower Subcommittee Chairman Roger Wicker and his House counterpart, Rep. Rob Wittman, that calls for the country to build up to 355 ships “as soon as practicable.”

The provision is contingent on the requisite appropriations, which means it’s anything but a sure bet.

“With his signature, President Trump has confirmed the United States’ resolve to meet the growing needs of our U.S. Navy,” Wicker said in a statement. “Building up our nation’s fleet is essential to protecting our national security and projecting American power around the globe.

“We are asking too few ships to do too many things, and today the President took a major step toward rectifying that problem.”
    https://www.defensenews.com/congress...tional-policy/

This is going to hurt.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Bigdog (07-14-2020)

21. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,553 Times in 53,373 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Well, Trump did say we were all out of bullets and he had to buy bullets for the military, so I imagine that ate up a big chunk of the budget.
    And the idiots who voted for that thing believed this, no doubt.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-13-2020)

23. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,260 Times in 33,910 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,089 Times in 4,704 Posts
    Blog Entries

And the idiots who voted for that thing believed this, no doubt.
    The ones at his rally always cheer!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-14-2020)

25. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Despite the damage, the ship has endured in the fire.
    "We're absolutely going to make sure it sails again," Sobeck said, "Right now we're going to fight the fire and then we'll work on understanding what exactly happened to make sure she sails as best as possible in a very near time."
    Rear Adm. Philip Sobeck, commander of Expeditionary Strike Group Three

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/13/us/us...day/index.html

Riiiiigght......

I will say it again....our officer corps have been decimated when it comes to quality.....here we have straight up lying from an Admiral .

This is going to hurt.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post: