Thread: Why atheists, Satanists, heathens, etc can't be Americans or Westerners

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Liberals aren't concerned about what terms you TRUMPTARDS use to demonize us.

We pretty much just ignore your insults, witch hunts, and hatefulness!

That just makes us stronger and gets more votes out!

You'll figure this out in November!
    you still haven't figured out 2016, nozzle.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,679 Times in 27,324 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsprat22 View Post
    Really can't follow your argument. Do you even know the meaning of "deism?"
    My writing is crystal clear, but if you cannot comprehend it let's not waste time interacting

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    My writing is crystal clear, but if you cannot comprehend it let's not waste time interacting
    You're a jerk. Tired of your trolling.

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Christian theology did not stop developing when the ink was dry on the Gospel of John. Christian thinkers spent the next two thousand years interpreting the scripture, which is highly ambiguous and even contradictory. Which is what you would expect from a voluminous cannon that was written over the course of a thousand years by multiple authors. The liberal Christian tradition considered slavery a violation of natural law by the 1700's.
    Yes, because that's when the Enlightenment began. Christians didn't begin thinking slavery was wrong until they stopped thinking religiously and started basing their philosophy on the Ancient Greeks.

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StoneByStone View Post
    Yes, because that's when the Enlightenment began. Christians didn't begin thinking slavery was wrong until they stopped thinking religiously and started basing their philosophy on the Ancient Greeks.
    There are plenty of anti-slavery themes in the Bible, both old and new. People who want to own slaves will just retroactively attempt to find a way to do it.

Ancient Greek philosophy influenced the later Christian churches as well, so your history is rather bunk, IMO.

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusA View Post
    There are plenty of anti-slavery themes in the Bible, both old and new. People who want to own slaves will just retroactively attempt to find a way to do it.

Ancient Greek philosophy influenced the later Christian churches as well, so your history is rather bunk, IMO.
    "Anti-slavery themes" can be interpreted subjectively. But the Bible says very clearly what the rules are for owning slaves, which means Christianity and Judaism allow for slavery.

I didn't say Greek philosophy didn't influence the churches. I said the anti-slavery movement of the Enlightenment had its roots in Greek philosophy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (07-09-2020)

8. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts

"Anti-slavery themes" can be interpreted subjectively. But the Bible says very clearly what the rules are for owning slaves, which means Christianity and Judaism allow for slavery.

I didn't say Greek philosophy didn't influence the churches. I said the anti-slavery movement of the Enlightenment had its roots in Greek philosophy.
    Thanks, Stoney.

9. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Steven VanderMolen View Post
    Thanks, Stoney.
    It's what I do.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (07-09-2020)

11. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's what I do.
    Yep, you DO do what you gotta do, and YOU do it SO well!

12. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Steven VanderMolen View Post
    Yep, you DO do what you gotta do, and YOU do it SO well!

13. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's what I do.
    Unfortunately sometimes when I DO do what I gotta do, it turns out like doggie do.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.2 For This Post:

MarcusA (07-09-2020)

15. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,679 Times in 27,324 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

The Greeks were notorious slave owners. I have never heard of Plato, Aristotle, Pericles, Herodotus, or the pre Socratics speak out against slavery.

I hold Voltaire, Rousseau, and Adam Smith in the highest esteem.

But I hold facts and truth in higher esteem. The first human I am aware of to write negatively about slavery was Saint Augustine in the 4th century. By the way, that was 1,200 years before the enlightenment. Augustine wrote that slavery was contrary to God's intent, and resulted from human sin.

I actually do not think the Enlightenment era did that much to stop slavery. The enlightenment was primarily interested in reason, technology, and scientific progress. The abolition movement really got rolling in the Romantic era -- in my opinion because the Romantics placed their premium on individuality, free will, human freedom, the value of emotion, and personal conscience.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-09-2020)

17. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

Christianity definitely allows for slavery.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_slavery
    You missed the entire point that it isn't sanctified by Christ or Christianity. Please stop trying to be another cherry-picking hater. It was some Christians that were acting outside the faith and tried to vindicate themselves with scripture. I've posted the reasons and history behind it. Here's for the 3rd or 4th time showing this piece of Southern Christians critiquing their history. https://www.christianitytoday.com/hi...d-slavery.html Now, can you stop trying to rope the abusers of Christian doctrine in with everyone else. You never even answered if you knew what the Pharisees was or why it condemns slavery. Just give fair critique if you want and I won't give a hoot. It's your right to not be a believer.
    Last edited by Charoite; 07-09-2020 at 07:58 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Charoite For This Post:

Cypress (07-09-2020)

19. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    You missed the entire point that it isn't sanctified by Christ or Christianity. Please stop trying to be another cherry-picking hater. It was some Christians that were acting outside the faith and tried to vindicate themselves with scripture. I've posted the reasons and history behind it. Here's for the 3rd or 4th time showing this piece of Southern Christians critiquing their history. https://www.christianitytoday.com/hi...d-slavery.html Now, can you stop trying to rope the abusers of Christian doctrine in with everyone else. You never even answered if you knew what the Pharisees was or why it condemns slavery. Just give fair critique if you want and I won't give a hoot. It's your right to not be a believer.
    I'm not talking about the Southern Christians. I'm talking about slavery being permitted in the Bible as well as slavery being practiced throughout Christian history. If it was just the Southern Christians, I'd say they were outliers.

I know about the Pharisees, they were a movement within Judaism. Their thoughts on slavery are beside the point. The point is that Judaism and Christianity permit slavery and the majority of Jews and Christians believed slavery was ok, even though there were exceptions that went against mainstream Jewish and Christian thought.

20. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Greeks were notorious slave owners. I have never heard of Plato, Aristotle, Pericles, Herodotus, or the pre Socratics speak out against slavery
    I didn't say the Greeks were against slavery. I said that Abolitionism became common when Christians switched from Christian philosophy to Greek philosophy.
    Religion is about blind faith, whereas Greek philosophy required people to start thinking and examining social norms. This is what led to people coming up with things like human rights.

The first human I am aware of to write negatively about slavery was Saint Augustine in the 4th century. By the way, that was 1,200 years before the enlightenment. Augustine wrote that slavery was contrary to God's intent, and resulted from human sin.
    Augustine was an outlier of his time and his thoughts on slavery didn't actually cause society to change. Slavery remained normal long after Augustine and wasn't seriously questioned until the Enlightenment.
    And if Augustine believed slavery was wrong, then he was going against his own religion, much like the liberal American Christians.

I actually do not think the Enlightenment era did that much to stop slavery. The enlightenment was primarily interested in reason, technology, and scientific progress. The abolition movement really got rolling in the Romantic era -- in my opinion because the Romantics placed their premium on individuality, free will, human freedom, the value of emotion, and personal conscience.
    All of those ideas were also present in the Enlightenment, especially individuality and human freedom. Romanticism was more of an artistic movement. There was some philosophy there too, but that was a continuation of the Enlightenment with extra emphasis on nature and emotion.