Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Defunding PBS, NPR and BBC in favor of Fox News

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 22 Times in 17 Posts

Default Defunding PBS, NPR and BBC in favor of Fox News

This sounds like a good plan; hopefully Trump and conservatives in the US and UK can have PBS, NPR, and BBC defunded, with the funding being diverted to Fox News instead.

This will help establish Fox as the new de-facto national/public broadcasting system for the foreseeable future; as opposed to dangerous left-wing views propaganda misinformation spread by other networks.

2. The Following User Groans At MarcusA For This Awful Post:

Charoite (07-08-2020)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcusA For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (07-09-2020)

4. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,338 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 633 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries

OK, fascist. They are far from left-wing anyway. If you think they are, you a so far to the right that anything other than your head pats media and infotainment seems liberal. NPR was always a haunt for older audiences that probably lean conservative. My conservative voting, catholic Mother always had them on. They don't have all the sensationalist drama and clenched sphincter pundits like Fox or others.

5. The Following User Groans At Charoite For This Awful Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (07-09-2020)

6. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

How about we just have govt get out of the TV business altogether and let them compete in the marketplace for funding ?
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusA View Post
    This sounds like a good plan; hopefully Trump and conservatives in the US and UK can have PBS, NPR, and BBC defunded, with the funding being diverted to Fox News instead.

This will help establish Fox as the new de-facto national/public broadcasting system for the foreseeable future; as opposed to dangerous left-wing views propaganda misinformation spread by other networks.
    Uh huh. Thanks for proving you're a troll.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jacksonsprat22 For This Post:

Charoite (07-08-2020), Guno צְבִי (07-09-2020), Tacomaman (07-10-2020)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

Do you consider yourself Fascist or are you still in denial about it?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

Charoite (07-08-2020)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,569 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

That was similar to Trump's plan. He was involved in a new network, even farther right than Fox. Running for president was going to give it a boost. Then he accidentally won wrecking the plans. Defunding PBS has been one of trumps agenda items and he did cut it.
    I am sure you are just fucking around.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (07-09-2020)

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts

Yep, a VERY good plan!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.2 For This Post:

MarcusA (07-09-2020)

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    OK, fascist. They are far from left-wing anyway. If you think they are, you a so far to the right that anything other than your head pats media and infotainment seems liberal. NPR was always a haunt for older audiences that probably lean conservative. My conservative voting, catholic Mother always had them on. They don't have all the sensationalist drama and clenched sphincter pundits like Fox or others.
    FACEPALM, Croc, FACEPALM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.2 For This Post:

MarcusA (07-09-2020)

17. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,545 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

“If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Sounds like the right wing nut cases are truly going full-psycho. This is actually fun to watch.

ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-09-2020)

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome MarcusA,

I'm glad you found this forum.

First of all, I'd like to acquaint you with my Personal Ignore Policy 'PIP,' since my rules are more strict than the site rules. I hope this is agreeable to you:

PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

If this is acceptable then I hope we have many great discussions. If not, then we won't be talking long.

This will never happen. First of all, the public news sources in America are supported by LOTS of private donations, so even if the government were to completely pull funding, they would survive. When you tune in to PBS, there are no commercials. Instead, there are short messages from underwriters, and a long list of funds and trusts which have bequeathed donations to PBS.

Second, Fox is a for-profit entertainment business, not a news reporting agency. The material they present does provide some news, but it is laced with pretty strong right wing slant. Fox is supported by advertising profits, as it should be. Fox should receive nothing from the government. Our taxes are not meant to support narrow views. We operate public information services to inform the public in a balanced way. Fox draws viewers by presenting sensationalist stories, in order to maintain ratings and advertisement revenue. Fox is popular with the less-educated. Fox is only as reliable a news source as people think it is. Reputation is the make or break for Fox. Anyone who chooses to watch Fox is free to do so. That is their choice. The rest of the nation chooses not to watch Fox.

I'm glad Fox is out there, along with PBS, NPR and BBC, and all the rest. The media is the 4th estate, the way America exercises freedom of speech. We want to hear from all sources, and we want to have a well informed populace. The best case would be to improve education so that everyone can properly understand what they are getting in the way of information and make well educated voting choices.

It would hurt America to try to censor or defund news sources. China controls what people see. America does not do that, and for good reason. That is the difference between freedom and thought-control.

We must have freedom. Let freedom ring. Let the different voices be heard.

Diversity, freedom and unity make America great.

Polarization, thought-control, and hatred hurt America.

We don't want a conservative nation any more than we want a liberal nation.

We want a free nation, able and prepared to constantly choose between the two sides, to weigh out and decide which has the best message at the best time.

Each side acts as a check on the other so that neither side gets too full of itself and thinks it's way is the only way, and it should be forced upon the other side. Let the side that makes the best argument of the day prevail. That way, if either side gets too full of itself, and does not consider the welfare of the opposite side, then the other side can form a majority and over-rule the full-of-itself side.

Good policy needs to work for all, not just those of narrow views.

The best policy considers what is best for all, and weighs it against what is best for the individual.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,441 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 265 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fox News is owned and run by lefties. Fox News is basically training wheels for conservatives.
    The Truth Does Not Need To Be Supported With Censorship.

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fox News is a private organization, troll. Are you seeing if you can start the dumbest thread in the history of the internet? You have a ways to go, but you've got a good start.

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,178 Times in 7,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,196 Times in 1,111 Posts

You just won the JPP IDIOT award! Congratulations!

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Fox News is a private organization, troll. Are you seeing if you can start the dumbest thread in the history of the internet? You have a ways to go, but you've got a good start.
    Private schmivate. Lots of "private institutions" receive public funding.

Basically, the right-wing in US and UK should just divert the funding they waste on BBC, PBS, NPR, etc and transfer it to Fox; establishing Fox as the new public broadcasting service and "centrist" source for the foreseeable future.

(More overtly right-wing sources can co-exist alongside Fox, while anything to the left of Fox is branded "crazy" and no longer allowed to have any viability on the airwaves.