Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Conservatives love their welfare

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,762 Times in 4,511 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Small businesses are defined as those with 500 employees or less. That is why Jared and family qualified for a couple of loans.
    Apparently the SBA makes exceptions:

"Are small business concerns (as defined in section 3 of the Small BusinessAct, 15 U.S.C. 632) required to have 500 or fewer employees to be eligible borrowers inthe PPP?Answer: No. Small business concerns can be eligible borrowers even if they have more than 500 employees, as long as they satisfy the existing statutory and regulatorydefinition of a “small business concern” under section 3 of the Small Business Act, 15U.S.C. 632."

https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/fi...062520-508.pdf

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,424 Times in 10,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I don't know any information about this case. I was just correcting your statement that it had to be an "essential business" to qualify. If the money assisted an employee it doesn't matter whether they worked for a non-profit or hamburger joint.
    The ARI was not affected by COVID because ARI doesn't produce any tangible good or service.

So social distancing will have no effect on a bunch of assholes sitting in their homes, thinking of ways to justify their welfare dependency.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Well, it's pretty easy to determine:

Does ARI have a storefront?
    Does ARI manufacture any goods?
    Does ARI distribute any goods?
    Does ARI provide a tangible physical service?
    Does ARI have supply chains?

The answer to all five of those questions is "NO".
    It has offices in Santa Ana and NY. It produces articles, books, journal, podcasts, webinars, courses, conferences, scholarships, and has an estore. There are 51-200 employees.

Perhaps there are exceptions to all these rules as there are for having less than 500 employees. If you read the FAQ there are all kinds of exceptions.

As I said, I was only correcting your statement that it has to be an "essential business" to qualify and not trying to justify any organization getting the welfare benefits.

Based on your criteria, I'm not sure how these businesses qualified, either:

The Archdiocese of New York got a loan valued at between $5 million and $10 million, while the Catholic Charities of the Archdioceses of San Francisco, Washington, D.C., New Orleans and Boston, among others, all received assistance valued at more than $2 million.

Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy in New Jersey, which is named after Trump’s son-in-law and advisor Jared Kushner’s grandfather, got a loan in the range of $1 million to $2 million. Jared Kushner’s parents’ family foundation supports the school, NBC News reported.

Political organizations also received loans: The Ohio Democratic Party got at least $150,000 and the Florida Democratic Party Building Fund got at least $350,000, while the Women’s National Republican Club of New York got at least $350,000, the Black Republican Caucus in Florida got at least $150,000.

Numerous news organizations received PPP loans: Forbes Media got at least $5 million; The Washington Times got at least $1 million; The Washingtonian got at least $350,000; The Daily Caller received at least $350,000 and The Daily Caller News Foundation got at least $150,000; The American Prospect received at least $150,000.

The law firm Boies Schiller Flexner, whose chairman David Boies has represented powerful clients such as former Vice President Al Gore in the Bush v. Gore Supreme Court case, received between $5 million and $10 million.
    Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao’s family’s business, Foremost Maritime, got a loan valued at between $350,000 and $1 million. Chao is the wife of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

And how was ARI even impacted by COVID? It's not like they have a storefront, or supply chain, or rely on labor. Plenty of businesses have returned their PPP funds, so why haven't the rugged individualists at ARI?
    We neither one have a clue about how they qualified. However, looking at the FAQ's from the SBA and many of the other businesses and organizations getting the funds there are many different exceptions, variations, and obviously political connections involved.

As I said, I was only correcting your statement that they had to be an "essential business" to qualify, not justifying their benefit.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You know who has? Mnuchin. The guy who didn't want any transparency when it came to these loans (a point in which you were in agreement with him, right?).

Ostensibly so he could give them to his buddies, like the ARI.
    He relented. That is how you know about ARI.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It has offices in Santa Ana and NY. It produces articles, books, journal, podcasts, webinars, courses, conferences, scholarships, and has an estore. There are 51-200 employees.
    It doesn't produce those things...publishing companies do.

ARI doesn't have a printing press.

It doesn't manufacture anything for its e-stores. Someone else does (probably China).

Webinars/conferences/etc. can all be done remotely.

Based on your criteria, I'm not sure how these businesses qualified, either:
    And I don't think any of them should have gotten PPP funds. Truth be told, I don't think any business should get welfare. Consumers and individuals are always asked to save for a rainy day or emergency...why shouldn't businesses be treated the same? Businesses should have to save for rainy days too.

I would have taken that $3.5T in COVID relief and guaranteed everyone's wages instead of handing out checks to anti-welfare welfare queens like the ARI...after repealing the last 40 years of tax cuts of course.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well, it's pretty easy to determine:

Does ARI have a storefront?
    Does ARI manufacture any goods?
    Does ARI distribute any goods?
    Does ARI provide a tangible physical service?
    Does ARI have supply chains?

The answer to all five of those questions is "NO".
    Neither did many of the other businesses, organizations, religious institutions, or schools which got the money. So, I don't think these were requirements.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We neither one have a clue about how they qualified
    We know how they "qualified"; they are GOP political operatives.

This is precisely why Mnuchin didn't want to disclose who got the loans.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-07-2020)

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The ARI was not affected by COVID because ARI doesn't produce any tangible good or service.

So social distancing will have no effect on a bunch of assholes sitting in their homes, thinking of ways to justify their welfare dependency.
    When government gives away free money every organization and individual finds ways to get some. Millions of Americans who were not affected by COVID got stimulus checks.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

He relented. That is how you know about ARI.
    He relented after he already handed the money out.

So it's too late at this point; they already got the money.

But every single ARI out there, that went to the PPP trough, serves as another reminder as to why Conservatism and Libertarianism is bankrupt in every sense of the word.

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Neither did many of the other businesses, organizations, religious institutions, or schools which got the money. So, I don't think these were requirements.
    Right, again, because Mnuchin was just handing out money to his friends. It was only after he did that, that he relented and disclosed the recipients. That is the problem.

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

When government gives away free money every organization and individual finds ways to get some.
    Even organizations whose mission statement is hostility toward any government spending.

Millions of Americans who were not affected by COVID got stimulus checks.
    And millions who were affected by COVID didn't. Instead, their stimulus checks went to ARI and other "think tanks" and operatives.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

He relented after he already handed the money out.

So it's too late at this point; they already got the money.

But every single ARI out there, that went to the PPP trough, serves as another reminder as to why Conservatism and Libertarianism is bankrupt in every sense of the word.
    It wouldn't have mattered. They would have still gotten the money even if it was made public at the time.

What do you think political power is all about if not giving money to your buddies couched in terms of "helping the people"? Liberals just give to different buddies than conservatives--both equally corrupt.

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Even organizations whose mission statement is hostility toward any government spending.

And millions who were affected by COVID didn't. Instead, their stimulus checks went to ARI and other "think tanks" and operatives.
    Exactly--doling out government money is corrupt and never productive and always wasteful.

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It wouldn't have mattered. They would have still gotten the money even if it was made public at the time.
    Perhaps, perhaps not. I guess we'll never know now...

What do you think political power is all about if not giving money to your buddies couched in terms of "helping the people"? Liberals just give to different buddies than conservatives--both equally corrupt.
    Liberals give to people, Conservative and Libertarians give to their friends.