Thread: American Complacency And Government Corruption

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,458 Times in 52,470 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I love the topic of critical thinking. It's vital to an informed person's daily life, as well as to her public life and all the decisions she will make. I'd like to offer my definition of that cherished concept, and hope to hear yours.

Critical thinking: The ability to discern whether what is on your plate is manure, or manna.

How does one learn critical thinking? Question authority. Always. Doesn't matter whether the authority is your mom and dad, a teacher at school, the info packet you get when you sign up for a new job, your drill sergeant, your spouse. Question it, even if you have to do it internally.

Your one-word mantra should be: WHY?
    I like it.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-09-2020)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello ThatOwlWoman,

If the oligarchy doesn't create scape-goats the populace will focus attention on THEM.
    Scapegoating is an ancient means for TPTB to stay in power by distracting the masses. It's one reason to avoid populism and to be for a Republic over a pure Democracy.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-08-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-09-2020)

5. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I switched on DirecTvs "news mix" about 20 minutes ago. It defaults to CNN. Don Lemon was on and I can only take so much of him so I slid the sound over to Fox with Laura Ingraham. She's just as annoying but I overheard her make an interesting comment supporting populism. A RW talking head flip flopping to supporting giving into to the desires of Low-Information voters? WTF?! It wasn't that long ago they were against such a thing. The world really has gone topsy-turvy.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-11-2020), PoliTalker (07-11-2020)

7. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I switched on DirecTvs "news mix" about 20 minutes ago. It defaults to CNN. Don Lemon was on and I can only take so much of him so I slid the sound over to Fox with Laura Ingraham. She's just as annoying but I overheard her make an interesting comment supporting populism. A RW talking head flip flopping to supporting giving into to the desires of Low-Information voters? WTF?! It wasn't that long ago they were against such a thing. The world really has gone topsy-turvy.
    Not that the world was ever really all on the up and up.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,321 Times in 9,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 511 Times in 484 Posts
    Blog Entries

right, because selling out to china is such a great intellectual achievement.

9. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Not that the world was ever really all on the up and up.
    True, but up to the last 20 years, up was up and down was down, not all topsy-turvy head-over-tails.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-11-2020)

11. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

True, but up to the last 20 years, up was up and down was down, not all topsy-turvy head-over-tails.
    Good way to put it.

We never had a president who appeals to extremists until now.

Presidents used to try to bring the nation together, not drive it apart.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (07-11-2020)

13. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Good way to put it.

We never had a president who appeals to extremists until now.

Presidents used to try to bring the nation together, not drive it apart.
    Agreed about Presidents and extremists. We, the People have been heading in that direction for over 25 years. Trump isn't a freak accident on the road of American politics; Trump is the logical progression of what both parties have been doing since 1992. Trump is an extreme swing in Pendulum Politics.....a swing, IMO, that is so far, it's inevitable to swing back the other way. Like pendulums (or bouncing golf balls), the extremes will slow down to find equilibrium.

If the extremes in American politics weren't bad enough, We, the People have suffered through economic downfalls, major terrorist attacks and a Federal government so dysfunctional that all they can agree upon is to increase the national debt: https://www.crfb.org/blogs/budget-pr...e-economy-year

This author puts the national political situation more eloquently than I:
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...s__138578.html
    ..P.utting a check on President Trump may be the only positive outcome of this election. Who believes that voters’ desire for change is satisfied by putting the speaker’s gavel back into the hands of (presumably) Nancy Pelosi? Who thinks dysfunction in D.C. will subside under divided government? How are we any closer to solutions on pressing problems?

While the pendulum swings, there is a growing group of Americans –– described in a recent study as the “Exhausted Majority” and estimated at 67 percent of the electorate –– who are tired of the political oscillation and are in search of a productive equilibrium.

This equilibrium is not a utopian absence of polarizing forces, but a balance between them. It’s not a mythical “middle ground” found by splitting the difference on any particular policy issue, but a higher ground found by using facts, reason, and common sense to address our biggest challenges...

14. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agreed about Presidents and extremists. We, the People have been heading in that direction for over 25 years. Trump isn't a freak accident on the road of American politics; Trump is the logical progression of what both parties have been doing since 1992. Trump is an extreme swing in Pendulum Politics.....a swing, IMO, that is so far, it's inevitable to swing back the other way. Like pendulums (or bouncing golf balls), the extremes will slow down to find equilibrium.

If the extremes in American politics weren't bad enough, We, the People have suffered through economic downfalls, major terrorist attacks and a Federal government so dysfunctional that all they can agree upon is to increase the national debt: https://www.crfb.org/blogs/budget-pr...e-economy-year

..P.utting a check on President Trump may be the only positive outcome of this election. Who believes that voters’ desire for change is satisfied by putting the speaker’s gavel back into the hands of (presumably) Nancy Pelosi? Who thinks dysfunction in D.C. will subside under divided government? How are we any closer to solutions on pressing problems?

While the pendulum swings, there is a growing group of Americans –– described in a recent study as the “Exhausted Majority” and estimated at 67 percent of the electorate –– who are tired of the political oscillation and are in search of a productive equilibrium.

This equilibrium is not a utopian absence of polarizing forces, but a balance between them. It’s not a mythical “middle ground” found by splitting the difference on any particular policy issue, but a higher ground found by using facts, reason, and common sense to address our biggest challenges...

its not extremist to put ones own countrymen above the ccp.

15. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

There have always been extremists in both parties, but the Democratic Party has never allowed the extremists to dominate their Party since FDR. Bernie came close in 2016, but the old guard of the party would not allow it. The Democratic Party has a built-in mechanism which acts to prevent an extremist take-over. The Super Delegate System. The Republican party does not have the same setup. There were no Super Delegates in the Republican Party to prevent the DT hostile takeover.

I didn't like it in 2016. I was a Bernie fan. I wanted him IN. And I think he could have beaten DT. Who knows what would have happened, because he would not have had the support of the House nor Senate. He probably would have been sort of a 4 year lame duck and not gotten reelected because he would not have been able to pass any of his proposals. and then the political pendulum would swing in 2020, handing another ten years of reapportioning to Republicans. Yikes!

So there's a silver lining for me if DT loses as big as the polling currently indicates. He is starting to drag down some down-ticket races for Republicans. Biden could have a fully supportive Congress if he wins in November, and the coat tails could reach all the way down to States and once-every-ten-years District reapportionment. About TIME...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (07-20-2020)

17. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

There have always been extremists in both parties, but the Democratic Party has never allowed the extremists to dominate their Party since FDR. Bernie came close in 2016, but the old guard of the party would not allow it. The Democratic Party has a built-in mechanism which acts to prevent an extremist take-over. The Super Delegate System. The Republican party does not have the same setup. There were no Super Delegates in the Republican Party to prevent the DT hostile takeover.

I didn't like it in 2016. I was a Bernie fan. I wanted him IN. And I think he could have beaten DT. Who knows what would have happened, because he would not have had the support of the House nor Senate. He probably would have been sort of a 4 year lame duck and not gotten reelected because he would not have been able to pass any of his proposals. and then the political pendulum would swing in 2020, handing another ten years of reapportioning to Republicans. Yikes!

So there's a silver lining for me if DT loses as big as the polling currently indicates. He is starting to drag down some down-ticket races for Republicans. Biden could have a fully supportive Congress if he wins in November, and the coat tails could reach all the way down to States and once-every-ten-years District reapportionment. About TIME...
    Disagreed on the bolded since they let the Clintons run things for two decades. Bernie and AOC are just additional examples of extremist LWers filling in the vacuum left by the Clintons.

We, the People are seeing the true face of the Democratic party since the best Presidential candidate they have to offer is Joe Biden.

18. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Disagreed on the bolded since they let the Clintons run things for two decades. Bernie and AOC are just additional examples of extremist LWers filling in the vacuum left by the Clintons.

We, the People are seeing the true face of the Democratic party since the best Presidential candidate they have to offer is Joe Biden.
    OK, that's just a matter of whether or not you consider Bill Clinton to be an extremist. I do not. He is a big money corporate pawn. He is actually quite moderate in his politics.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Doc Dutch (07-20-2020)

20. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
    I hate to sounds so cynical, but being cynical does not make you wrong. But when, I look at the general voting public, I see a bunch of chickens in a chicken coop, and so long as the feed keeps coming the chickens are content, and don't care about anything else, and they don't want to be bothered about anything else. But when the feed stops coming, the chickens all starts to squawk.

The point here, is that the voting public just doesn't understand the serious responsibility to be informed about the candidates, and to vote. Voter apathy, and voter ignorance is the greatest threat to our democracy.
    no. you and your elitist attitude are the biggest threat to democracy.

21. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

OK, that's just a matter of whether or not you consider Bill Clinton to be an extremist. I do not. He is a big money corporate pawn. He is actually quite moderate in his politics.
    Hillary was the real brains behind those two. Bill just wanted to get his dick sucked. Just so we're on the same page, I included a definition at the bottom.

Both parties have moved toward authoritarian extremism over the past 30 years. This is noted by their refusal to compromise on certain issues and seek to impose their views upon all Americans. It doesn't have to be about healthcare or guns, just the fact they are set in their ways on an issue and seek to jam their set views down the throats of all Americans. They are more about authoritarianism than they are about preserving and increasing freedom for Americans.

Where you and I can probably agree is that the Republicans are more extreme than the Democrats, but that doesn't change the fact the Democrats have moved toward extremism themselves.

Authoritarianism is antithetical to American ideals and, therefore, "extreme".
    ex·trem·ist
    /ikˈstrēməst/
    a person who holds extreme or fanatical political or religious views, especially one who resorts to or advocates extreme action.

22. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Hillary was the real brains behind those two. Bill just wanted to get his dick sucked. Just so we're on the same page, I included a definition at the bottom.

Both parties have moved toward authoritarian extremism over the past 30 years. This is noted by their refusal to compromise on certain issues and seek to impose their views upon all Americans. It doesn't have to be about healthcare or guns, just the fact they are set in their ways on an issue and seek to jam their set views down the throats of all Americans. They are more about authoritarianism than they are about preserving and increasing freedom for Americans.

Where you and I can probably agree is that the Republicans are more extreme than the Democrats, but that doesn't change the fact the Democrats have moved toward extremism themselves.

Authoritarianism is antithetical to American ideals and, therefore, "extreme".
    Agreed that Democrats and Republicans have moved further from the center over time, but I still don't think Democrats are extremist in general. I do think there is strong media pressure to label them that, particularly from Fox and conservative talk radio.