Thread: The Mind Of The Village: Understanding Our Implicit Biases (take a test) if you dare

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,196 Times in 3,829 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 261 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Werewolf The Mind Of The Village: Understanding Our Implicit Biases (take a test) if you dare

This is an audio, for some of you w/ short attention spans an eternity...

Fortunately it will make neither ppl on the left or right all that happy..

But it will explain a lot of things, & make clear the approach we are taking likely "aint gonna fix shit"..........

Link to the test-not required:

Where do our minds live? A simple, scientific response would be to say our minds live in our brains. But Harvard psychologist Mahzarin Banaji says we should not think of our minds as being solitary.

"The individual mind sits in society. And the connection between mind and society is an extremely important one that should not be forgotten."

Banaji is one of the creators of the Implicit Association Test, a widely-used tool for measuring a person's implicit biases. She says it's important to acknowledge that problems rooted in prejudice cannot be solved by finger pointing.

"One of the difficulties we've had in the past is that we have looked at individual people and blamed individual people. We've said if we can remove these 10 bad police officers from this force, we'll be fine. And we know as social scientists - and I believe firmly - that that is no way to change anything."

This week on the Hidden Brain radio show, we examine research about the mind of the village. We'll begin with a focus on police shootings of unarmed black men. Later in the show, we look at how biases affect judges in the U.S.
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Yes, society exists.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

'Mahzarin Banaji '. That's not American. Sounds like some Communist ... maybe a Nazi. (?)

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    'Mahzarin Banaji '. That's not American. Sounds like some Communist ... maybe a Nazi. (?)
    Yea, she speaks four languages including Farsi & communistese...

You should listen to the clip, you can add it to your resume' of enlightenment & insight into the inner working of the mind of man~ & women....
    "There is no question former President Trump bears moral responsibility. His supporters stormed the Capitol because of the unhinged falsehoods he shouted into the world’s largest megaphone," McConnell wrote. "His behavior during and after the chaos was also unconscionable, from attacking Vice President Mike Pence during the riot to praising the criminals after it ended."

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

You should listen to the clip, you can add it to your resume' of enlightenment & insight into the inner working of the mind of man~ & women....
    I thought I accepted her Premise when I called her a 'Communist'/'Nazi' because of her name.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,937 Times in 13,200 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

Has anyone here actually taken one of these tests?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    I took the one on 'Religion'.
    It ended up being a 'Test' between Islam and Judaism.
    According to the Test, I tended to favor Islam.

Since I'm an agnostic, I don't 'favor' any of them. (they probably assumed I was a 'Christian'?)

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,937 Times in 13,200 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

I took the one on 'Religion'.
    It ended up being a 'Test' between Islam and Judaism.
    According to the Test, I tended to favor Islam.

Since I'm an agnostic, I don't 'favor' any of them. (they probably assumed I was a 'Christian'?)
    Well, that would seem to be a poor test then. Given only an either / or situation seems inappropriate to religious views. I have to agree with you, it doesn't show your bias towards one or the other but rather your alignment with the values of them. In that sense, your values as an agnostic would only peripherally align. That is, say you like structure in your life so you align with Islam requiring prayer five times a day. That doesn't show you prefer Islam but that you prefer structure, something you could get in any religion by self-practice even if the religion itself didn't mandate it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Jack (07-07-2020)

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Well, that would seem to be a poor test then. Given only an either / or situation seems inappropriate to religious views. I have to agree with you, it doesn't show your bias towards one or the other but rather your alignment with the values of them. In that sense, your values as an agnostic would only peripherally align. That is, say you like structure in your life so you align with Islam requiring prayer five times a day. That doesn't show you prefer Islam but that you prefer structure, something you could get in any religion by self-practice even if the religion itself didn't mandate it.
    I think it's based on how quick you respond and if you make mistakes. There's about 15 'tests' you can choose to take. It takes about 10 minutes. It's benign. Log on and take one.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,793 Times in 32,156 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

it takes a village to take a test for me......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,793 Times in 32,156 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    sounds like another Bill farsi to me......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I thought I accepted her Premise when I called her a 'Communist'/'Nazi' because of her name.
    I DEMAND YOU LISTEN TO THIS AUDIO!!!!!

lol

It is a political, her opinions on politics are unknown nor relevant..........

The margarita maker can chill another half hour, take the time to listen to it & learn something...........

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Doubtful........

An individuals results in & of themselves are not really significant...

It is when they are taken as a whole, as a village, region etc that they can be indicative/predictor of higher likelihood of certain outcomes.....

Smart guy like you would find it fascinating.

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    sounds like another Bill farsi to me......
    lol