Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Hermes Thoth, The Anonymous, /MSG/, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, CFM, Superfreak, TOP, volsrock, Yurt, Earl, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and FreeSpeech

Thread: My July 4th tribute to American armed forces

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Default My July 4th tribute to American armed forces

I salute the American Armed forces who from 1861 to 1865 fought this nation's most brutal conflict against the Confederate States of America to preserve the Union and to end the practice of human enslavement.

The Motivations of American Soldiers 1861-65: Preserve the Union and End Human Enslavement

In his 1997 book examining the motivations of the American Civil War's soldiers, For Cause and Comrades, historian James M. McPherson states that Union soldiers fought to preserve the United States, as well as to end slavery, stating that:

"While restoration of the Union was the main goal for which they fought, they became convinced that this goal was unattainable without striking against slavery."

— James M. McPherson, For Cause and Comrades: Why Men Fought in the Civil War, (1997)
    McPherson states that witnessing the slave system of the Confederacy first-hand also strengthened the anti-slavery views of Union soldiers, who were appalled by its brutality. He stated that "Experience in the South reinforced the antislavery sentiments of many soldiers."

One Pennsylvanian Union soldier spoke to a slave woman whose husband was whipped, and was appalled by what she had to tell him of slavery. He stated that "I thought I had hated slavery as much as possible before I came here, but here, where I can see some of its workings, I am more than ever convinced of the cruelty and inhumanity of the system."

.wikipedia

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-04-2020), signalmankenneth (07-04-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-04-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,525 Times in 52,742 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

"Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (07-04-2020), PoliTalker (07-04-2020), signalmankenneth (07-04-2020), Stretch (07-04-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    A fine choice.

"Of all the songs written during and about the War, perhaps none is as strongly identified with the Union cause today as Julia Ward Howe's stirring "The Battle Hymn of the Republic."
    https://www.battlefields.org/learn/p...-hymn-republic

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-04-2020)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I salute the American Armed forces who from 1861 to 1865 fought this nation's most brutal conflict against the Confederate States of America to preserve the Union and to end the practice of human enslavement.
    The United States of America is worth fighting for. It was absolutely terrible that some of the States wanted to break away over this issue. I am so thankful for all the sacrifices of the US Army for what they did in the Civil War.

Now it is time to end the stupid hatred and racism that the South fell into out of spite for losing the war they started. We have lived with it way too long. It is time to be done with it already.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (07-04-2020), signalmankenneth (07-04-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-04-2020)

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,981 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 781 Posts

Thank you for supporting these soldiers. Its wierd you think only the soldiers of these 4 years were anti slavery and the rest of the time they were for it.
    is on twitter @realtsuke

https://tsukesthoughts.wordpress.com/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tsuke For This Post:

Sailor (07-04-2020)

11. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tsuke View Post
    Thank you for supporting these soldiers. Its wierd you think only the soldiers of these 4 years were anti slavery and the rest of the time they were for it.
    You are responding to what you wish or imagined I wrote, not what I actually wrote.

The defeat of the rogue slave-nation Confederate States of America by the U.S. armed forces is one of the most consequential events of modern western history.

I rank it right up there with the Anglo-American victory over Nazism

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-04-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-04-2020)

13. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Cypress,

The United States of America is worth fighting for. It was absolutely terrible that some of the States wanted to break away over this issue. I am so thankful for all the sacrifices of the US Army for what they did in the Civil War.

Now it is time to end the stupid hatred and racism that the South fell into out of spite for losing the war they started. We have lived with it way too long. It is time to be done with it already.
    Nice work.

Nobody on this forum is a Confederate or a slave owner, so presumably we can all appreciate the victory of our military over the forces of slavery and insurrection.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-04-2020)

15. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Cypress,

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Nice work.

Nobody on this forum is a Confederate or a slave owner, so presumably we can all appreciate the victory of our military over the forces of slavery and insurrection.
    Well said. I have no problem standing up for what is right. I am proud to add my voice to the cause of true equality. Our nation will be better for it!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.