Thread: Don't rent to blacks!

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,441 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 265 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Don't rent to blacks!

I talked for a couple hours with an older real estate investor. We were waiting at the airport and had some time to burn, so we talked politics. He was telling me that he doesn't rent to blacks, which surprised me. I pointed out that it isn't right to discriminate based on race like that, but he said it wasn't even about race! I love talking politics and racism, so I was enjoying the weird conversation. He said that it was the government who made whites and blacks natural enemies, since they gave blacks legal advantages over whites. This guy said he does not care what race a person is, but that it does not make good business sense to rent to tenants who have legal advantages in the event of a legal dispute.
    The Truth Does Not Need To Be Supported With Censorship.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evmetro For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (07-03-2020), Celticguy (07-03-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post
    I talked for a couple hours with an older real estate investor. We were waiting at the airport and had some time to burn, so we talked politics. He was telling me that he doesn't rent to blacks, which surprised me. I pointed out that it isn't right to discriminate based on race like that, but he said it wasn't even about race! I love talking politics and racism, so I was enjoying the weird conversation. He said that it was the government who made whites and blacks natural enemies, since they gave blacks legal advantages over whites. This guy said he does not care what race a person is, but that it does not make good business sense to rent to tenants who have legal advantages in the event of a legal dispute.
    We had black neighbors that lived in an apartment above us that skipped out on THREE MONTHS back rent. Yikes!

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is quite true.
    Had friends in the low income housing business (slum lords) who eventually dropped out because regulations and legal advantages made it unprofitable.
    The tenants were distrought because he kept their places up and in turn they did not trash them.
    Government is always the problem, never the solution.
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Joseph Stalin
    The USA has lost WWIV to China with no other weapons but China Virus and some cash to buy democrats.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celticguy For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (07-03-2020), Matt Dillon (07-04-2020)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,918 Times in 13,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

The house across the street from mine was rented for about a year by Blacks. We had some pleasant interactions and they were really not too much different that any other neighbors. They did get hit several times for having broken down vehicles on their driveway (against city code) and for not taking care of the front yard letting weeds grow.

After they moved out I talked to the landlord, a guy named Russ. That house was trashed on the inside... absolutely trashed. He said they owed him months of rent and it took him forever to get them evicted. His insurance took most of the hit for repairing the house that is still being renovated about 9 months later. He hired me to put in some block fence and repair some existing portions. I know he had to replace the entire kitchen, repair drywall everywhere, replace a lot of the receptacles and switches including two that had small fires in the box. Paint, repair the bathrooms, new flooring, remove piles of trash, etc. That house was totally trashed inside.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (07-03-2020)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

You should just title this thread 'Violate the Constitution' and save yourself some time.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    The house across the street from mine was rented for about a year by Blacks. We had some pleasant interactions and they were really not too much different that any other neighbors. They did get hit several times for having broken down vehicles on their driveway (against city code) and for not taking care of the front yard letting weeds grow.

After they moved out I talked to the landlord, a guy named Russ. That house was trashed on the inside... absolutely trashed. He said they owed him months of rent and it took him forever to get them evicted. His insurance took most of the hit for repairing the house that is still being renovated about 9 months later. He hired me to put in some block fence and repair some existing portions. I know he had to replace the entire kitchen, repair drywall everywhere, replace a lot of the receptacles and switches including two that had small fires in the box. Paint, repair the bathrooms, new flooring, remove piles of trash, etc. That house was totally trashed inside.
    My wife has about a dozen rental properties. Every one of the tenants is black. She has one problem tenant, about what you'd expect. The rest pay on time and have no issues. Yawn. Racists are boring.

10. The Following User Groans At Concart For This Awful Post:

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (07-03-2020), Phantasmal (07-03-2020), Tacomaman (07-05-2020)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Unfortunately this does NOT surprise me one bit. Sad.

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,753 Times in 33,623 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    My wife has about a dozen rental properties. Every one of the tenants is black. She has one problem tenant, about what you'd expect. The rest pay on time and have no issues. Yawn. Racists are boring.
    My best friends rental was thrashed by a white couple. There are just some very irresponsible people in the world. This was in Kenai, AK a very small town and she thought she knew these people.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (07-03-2020)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Like, HALF a wow.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.2 For This Post:

Hermes Thoth (07-04-2020)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    My best friends rental was thrashed by a white couple. There are just some very irresponsible people in the world. This was in Kenai, AK a very small town and she thought she knew these people.
    Golly!

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven VanderMolen View Post
    Golly!
    Okay, Steve, chill out

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yep, it isn't a race thing. But here we are..... with a thread that actually advocates violating Federal law. And the racists are having a circle jerk.

21. The Following User Groans At Concart For This Awful Post:

22. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Okay, Steve, chill out
    OK, I WILL, Phanny, my dear.

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steven VanderMolen View Post
    OK, I WILL, Phanny, my dear.
    Thanks, appreciated

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,918 Times in 13,188 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 832 Times in 791 Posts

My view is it isn't about race but rather the character and background of the renters. If they are frequently changing jobs or temporarily unemployed it's more likely they'll be a problem. If they are permanent renters-- that is they are renters today, next year, and for most or all of their life, it's more likely they'll be a problem.

People who aren't owners in society have little stake in society. The saying goes, The man that owns the boat rarely has time to rock it. Renters and those of marginal employability are more likely to not care about their or anyone else's property or rights.