Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why our history is important.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 1 Post

Default Why our history is important.

History gets a bum rap these days just as it did 50 years ago when I was still in school. It was boring to study all those past figures that wore wigs and strutted in funny clothing. In America we yawned as we learned about our escape from King George with citizens along with Indians dumping tea into a harbor. There was a Boston Massacre where some people died standing up for something. It was tedious and so long ago. I wanted to play my guitar in a rock band because I was distanced from that history by the arrow of time. I know now that I should have paid more attention to what others were trying to tell me.

History is a collective memory of how we got to where we are today. Mistakes were made. Repeating mistakes is the first rule of de-evolution and any living thing that does not learn from mistakes will vanish, Darwin made that clear. Ideas, beliefs, and cultural aggregations are like living things, they can evolve or devolve in the same way. Past mistakes can only be atoned by not repeating them; there is no way to undo past missteps.

If you step on a rock and twist your ankle you must suffer the consequences but your personal history establishes a record that warns you not to step on that rock again or any similar rock without care to avoid the same outcome. Historical events are no different. We memorialize them to remind others about the pitfalls of mistakes that came before them.

We are in a revolutionary moment in our history not unlike Banana Republics or ethnically-cleansing balkanizing federations in other countries. When Donald trump was elected on a platform of nationhood over globalization this energized globalists to take him out. Now some of our cities look like Kosovo or Caracas because Trump’s threat to the powerful people that have been selling us out is seen as dire.

This is accompanied by the cowardice of a Republican leadership that fears being exposed as recipients of the benefits of the insurrection and missing the boat of the side they think may win. Statues topple, monuments are defaced, and bedlam wracks our cities. This is not new. Venezuela went down the same way in recent history.

You see why history is so important? I wish I Had seen it all those years ago.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ray9 For This Post:

Celticguy (07-03-2020), PoliTalker (07-02-2020)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Trump is the enemy of American democracy. He is the biggest threat to our survival.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksonsprat22 For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-02-2020)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonsprat22 View Post
    Trump is the enemy of American democracy. He is the biggest threat to our survival.
    Trump is an adversary of globalization and it is globalization that is the world's biggest threat to democracy.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,099 Times in 1,499 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 812 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ray9 View Post
    Trump is an adversary of globalization and it is globalization that is the world's biggest threat to democracy.
    I have no idea what you mean by "globalization." I suspect you do not either.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jacksonsprat22 For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-02-2020)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello and welcome ray9,

Before I respond to your thread I would like to acquaint you with my Personal Ignore Policy because my rules are more strict than the site rules. Hopefully this is reasonable:

Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

If this is agreeable then I hope we have many interesting discussions. If not, we won't be talking long.

History gets a bum rap these days just as it did 50 years ago when I was still in school. It was boring to study all those past figures that wore wigs and strutted in funny clothing. In America we yawned as we learned about our escape from King George with citizens along with Indians dumping tea into a harbor. There was a Boston Massacre where some people died standing up for something. It was tedious and so long ago. I wanted to play my guitar in a rock band because I was distanced from that history by the arrow of time. I know now that I should have paid more attention to what others were trying to tell me.

History is a collective memory of how we got to where we are today. Mistakes were made. Repeating mistakes is the first rule of de-evolution and any living thing that does not learn from mistakes will vanish, Darwin made that clear. Ideas, beliefs, and cultural aggregations are like living things, they can evolve or devolve in the same way. Past mistakes can only be atoned by not repeating them; there is no way to undo past missteps.

If you step on a rock and twist your ankle you must suffer the consequences but your personal history establishes a record that warns you not to step on that rock again or any similar rock without care to avoid the same outcome. Historical events are no different. We memorialize them to remind others about the pitfalls of mistakes that came before them.

We are in a revolutionary moment in our history not unlike Banana Republics or ethnically-cleansing balkanizing federations in other countries. When Donald trump was elected on a platform of nationhood over globalization this energized globalists to take him out. Now some of our cities look like Kosovo or Caracas because Trump’s threat to the powerful people that have been selling us out is seen as dire.

This is accompanied by the cowardice of a Republican leadership that fears being exposed as recipients of the benefits of the insurrection and missing the boat of the side they think may win. Statues topple, monuments are defaced, and bedlam wracks our cities. This is not new. Venezuela went down the same way in recent history.

You see why history is so important? I wish I Had seen it all those years ago.
    I didn't find history very interesting when I was in school either, but recently I have taken an increased interest. I like to read and also watch videos and programs. I have tried to figure out where the beginning of civilization was and it seems the most popular western idea is Mesopotamia, current day Iraq, something like 8 or 9 thousand years before Christ. Humans existed for thousands of years prior to that, but apparently as hunter / gatherers. Civilization does not seem to have changed much since Mesopotamia. The first civilizations were City-States and they both fought and traded with one another. It's almost comical how they traded lands. There would be a leader who mobilized an army to attack neighbors, but then could not hold what was taken, so the borders kept shifting constantly back and forth over the years. They all needed things from all over in the bronze age because the elements of copper and tin (to make bronze) were not found where there was good land for cultivation and food production.

And what has really changed since then besides technology? We still have no consensus on religion or morals. Logically, all humans on Earth should be part of one big collective. Physically, we are a big collective for the same reasons as the bronze age. So what on Earth is all the squabbling about? We all have the same basic needs. Most citizens of most countries don't really care where you are from. If you meet them, they are nice to you and they want the same things most of us want - to live and let live. So what's the problem? Egocentric leaders telling us we are different and we have to fight, basically. It is the rich and powerful who decide nations and peoples should fight, not the everyday people. People only hold hatred for others because they have been taught it.

As technology has advanced we have lots of fancy stuff and lots of people who get pretty mixed up about right and wrong. Plato had pretty good thoughts about right and wrong. Right is what is good for society. Wrong is bad for society. Nations don't matter. People do.

John Lennon had the right idea:

Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,004 Times in 13,819 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,035 Times in 2,831 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello and welcome ray9,

Before I respond to your thread I would like to acquaint you with my Personal Ignore Policy because my rules are more strict than the site rules. Hopefully this is reasonable:

If this is agreeable then I hope we have many interesting discussions. If not, we won't be talking long.

I didn't find history very interesting when I was in school either, but recently I have taken an increased interest. I like to read and also watch videos and programs. I have tried to figure out where the beginning of civilization was and it seems the most popular western idea is Mesopotamia, current day Iraq, something like 8 or 9 thousand years before Christ. Humans existed for thousands of years prior to that, but apparently as hunter / gatherers. Civilization does not seem to have changed much since Mesopotamia. The first civilizations were City-States and they both fought and traded with one another. It's almost comical how they traded lands. There would be a leader who mobilized an army to attack neighbors, but then could not hold what was taken, so the borders kept shifting constantly back and forth over the years. They all needed things from all over in the bronze age because the elements of copper and tin (to make bronze) were not found where there was good land for cultivation and food production.

And what has really changed since then besides technology? We still have no consensus on religion or morals. Logically, all humans on Earth should be part of one big collective. Physically, we are a big collective for the same reasons as the bronze age. So what on Earth is all the squabbling about? We all have the same basic needs. Most citizens of most countries don't really care where you are from. If you meet them, they are nice to you and they want the same things most of us want - to live and let live. So what's the problem? Egocentric leaders telling us we are different and we have to fight, basically. It is the rich and powerful who decide nations and peoples should fight, not the everyday people. People only hold hatred for others because they have been taught it.

As technology has advanced we have lots of fancy stuff and lots of people who get pretty mixed up about right and wrong. Plato had pretty good thoughts about right and wrong. Right is what is good for society. Wrong is bad for society. Nations don't matter. People do.
    "Civilization does not seem to have changed much since Mesopotamia?"

You don't really mean that do you?

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 727 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 372 Times in 345 Posts

"Globalization" is another right-wing trigger word.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TexanManWithPlans For This Post:

Geeko Sportivo (07-02-2020), ThatOwlWoman (07-02-2020)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,805 Times in 13,108 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 825 Times in 784 Posts

As a semi-professional (I write books and articles for "beer money" but don't do it for a living) military historian--my expertise is particularly in the area of technology-- I can tell you most historical texts of a general nature get stuff wrong in minor ways that can make major differences. I say this because most of those writing textbooks for K-12 education today get history, science, technology, and related subjects wrong in ways that teach the students to believe in nonsense and things that are bad for society and the economy.

For example, would you agree or disagree with this statement:

In World War II, the Germans / Nazis had technology well in advance of the Allies (US, Britain, USSR). Do you agree or disagree with that?

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,102 Times in 7,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,187 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Panetta View Post
    "Globalization" is another right-wing trigger word.
    It's just another"N" word for the idiots!

When they hate everybody- they call it "globalization".

It's like "Fuck YOU world, we want to do everything the TRUMP WAY!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Geeko Sportivo For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (07-03-2020)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,189 Times in 52,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

I thought I smelled bullshit. Now I'm sure.

Trump is a globalist himself, mark. Do you think those MAGA hats and his other campaign gear are made here? Pfft. He's got scam... er, hotels, golf courses, etc. all over the world. All that money flows into his coffers.

You've been scammed, kid.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Globalization can only coexist with democracies on a very superficial level. In order for a leadership in a democracy to implement the ideology of full globalization onto its people it must take away self-destiny and local control of survival in favor of a hive mentality that dictates what is good for the hive, not the individuals in the hive. “We the People” is incompatible with hive culture and philosophy. Globalization is an insectoid model foisted on thinking humans to remove the thinking and supplant it with artificially instinctive behavior using fear and remote alien power as an enforcing agent.

The raw power and central planning of Globalization is a fatal threat to democracies everywhere on Earth. For instance, biological warfare was outlawed in 1925 with the Geneva Protocol. The People’s Republic of China, the leading beneficiary of modern globalization, used a bacterial agent (Wuhan Virus) to ensure the survival of the hive at the expense of people. They first used Sun-Tzu infiltration methods to bribe the US Congress to cede control of the US pharmaceutical industry so no American leader could accuse them of the violation without causing great pain and expense to the people.

The odds that Covid-19 came from nature just at the perfect time to destroy a US economy that was surging are about the same as a person winning Powerball every day for the rest of his life. But thinking was removed by insectoid globalization so many believe that it was just by chance. Globalization requires the human race to give up thinking which is the one thing that separates humans from animals.

The Chinese regard all the nations of the world as collateral damage in a globalization war against the US that they want to replace as a template for the world’s greatest power.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

The key point is that people should study the history that caused the problems: colonialism and class rule in our case, racist slavery and big business dominance in yours. Made-up, bosses-type history is all trooping colours, Mt Rushmores and such, the sort of codswallop that has all the trumpers beating their hollow chests and falling over.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,189 Times in 52,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Listen carefully when you hear someone talking about "erasing history." What they really mean is that they don't want *their* white-washed version of history supplanted by realism.

Why is globalization so scary to the far right? After all, we managed to combine separate regions and states with their own cultures, accents, religions, etc. into a successful cohesive (mostly) whole called the "United States." Our different regions still enjoy their autonomy and differences, despite one segment trying to break us up in the 19th century. Why can't the entire world do the same?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Iolo/Penderyn (07-03-2020)

21. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,043 Times in 3,907 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,697 Times in 1,555 Posts

How is he an adversary of Globalism? His politics aren't much different from the average Republican.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to StoneByStone For This Post:

23. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,474 Times in 17,035 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,563 Times in 4,243 Posts

You are falling behind. History is being rewritten with new discoveries. The satellite systems we have flying overhead are finding ruins all over the globe where nobody expected. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...mple-83613665/

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post: