Thread: Florida smashes Daily Record for New Coronavirus Cases

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Woko Haram View Post
    Both can be true, but it's extremely unlikely.
    I don't see why. We know that outdoor transmission is far less likely, we know that many protesters wore masks. Again, for a spike to occur from an event, every infected person at that event would need to give it to multiple other people. I agree that the behavior of many protesters was irresponsible, it doesn't seem that unlikely that we didn't see this kind of spread from the protests. I'm not making a value judgement, I'm making a factual judgement. That being said, I'm surprised we didn't see spikes related to those protests, maybe they are hidden. But either way, it does not in any way disprove the effectiveness of masks.

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Woko Haram,

The advice is simple. The 3 W's. Wash hands, Watch distance, Wear a mask.

Conflating 'health experts' and 'the media' into one 'they' will always lead to a perception of inconsistency. Reason: Talking about two different groups as if one.

Mask wearing never needed to become political. That's an example of poor leadership.

The moment DT said it was a personal choice and he chose not to, that set the stage. He actually made the pandemic way worse with those words.

A responsible caring leader would have set the proper example.
    I'm pretty sure if Trump had used the federal government to force the wearing of masks, you'd then have the left go into full freakout mode about authoritarianism. It didn't take much in the past to result in that (like using detainment centers to handle waiting periods for asylum seekers).

3. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about your parents. I would imagine many bars aren't known for strict cleaning practices either.
    No need to be sorry. 99 and still pretty independent is a pretty good run. But thanks. There is an Irish Pub at Jax Beach. Right before Memorial weekend, those bars opened up, and someone in that place infected dozens of people. One party of 13 all got it there. Young kids. My kid was in town that weekend, and he and his buddy headed there and reported that every bar was packed. And yes, I scolded him, but he turned 21 during the lockdown, he's in the Army, and he thinks he's invincible. He was lucky.

4. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    I don't see why. We know that outdoor transmission is far less likely, we know that many protesters wore masks. Again, for a spike to occur from an event, every infected person at that event would need to give it to multiple other people. I agree that the behavior of many protesters was irresponsible, it doesn't seem that unlikely that we didn't see this kind of spread from the protests. I'm not making a value judgement, I'm making a factual judgement. That being said, I'm surprised we didn't see spikes related to those protests, maybe they are hidden. But either way, it does not in any way disprove the effectiveness of masks.
    We know that outdoor transmission is less likely when social distancing. We don't know that to be a fact when not social distancing.

5. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure if Trump had used the federal government to force the wearing of masks, you'd then have the left go into full freakout mode about authoritarianism. It didn't take much in the past to result in that (like using detainment centers to handle waiting periods for asylum seekers).
    Not me. I would have welcomed it. But that's not his character. What I found odd was that there was so much resistance to mask wearing when there was so much consensus in the medical community. It's so easy to do. I'm still just stunned at the reaction to Fauci. How did he become a bad guy??

6. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

We know that outdoor transmission is less likely when social distancing. We don't know that to be a fact when not social distancing.
    I can't disagree with that. I was aghast at the protests... both sides. Seemed like a recipe for disaster.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

Saudade (07-03-2020)

8. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not me. I would have welcomed it. But that's not his character. What I found odd was that there was so much resistance to mask wearing when there was so much consensus in the medical community. It's so easy to do. I'm still just stunned at the reaction to Fauci. How did he become a bad guy??
    Fair enough, but personally, I prefer the states' rights approach. Trump is allowing states to handle things in their own ways, which is really more how our government was designed to work. I generally prefer that the federal government only get involved when actual federal jurisdiction is involved. Governors have the ability to make their own mandates and don't need Trump to give the green light.

Most of the resistance I've seen has less to do with masks and more to do with reopening businesses. People in NC largely protested against not being able to do business. Most of them didn't care as much about having to wear a mask.

9. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Fair enough, but personally, I prefer the states' rights approach. Trump is allowing states to handle things in their own ways, which is really more how our government was designed to work. I generally prefer that the federal government only get involved when actual federal jurisdiction is involved. Governors have the ability to make their own mandates and don't need Trump to give the green light.

Most of the resistance I've seen has less to do with masks and more to do with reopening businesses. People in NC largely protested against not being able to do business. Most of them didn't care as much about having to wear a mask.
    We can agree to disagree about states versus Federal, but Trumps failure was not that he didn't mandate masks, but that he made them a symbol for his followers. It's a failure of leadership. In the case of Florida, I blame DeSantis far more than Trump, but DeSantis is just Trumps mini me, so all roads still lead back to the White House.

10. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,166 Times in 33,864 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

I can't disagree with that. I was aghast at the protests... both sides. Seemed like a recipe for disaster.
    It was, I would cringe and it’s one of the first protest that I believe in that I missed. I wanted to be there, but with COVID, there is just no way. I’m staying in.

11. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,263 Times in 7,145 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

So since Florida is now the NUMBER 1 HOT SPOT for the virus in the entire world- DOES THIS MEAN THAT THE TRUMPTURDS are going to call it a shit-hole state?

Say, didn't the TRUMPTARDED idiots say that the virus was only happening in SHIT-HOLE states ran by Democrat Governors and in cities ran by DEMOCRAT mayors?

And now with Texas being the number two Hot-SPOT in the world for this VIRUS- Is it now a SHIT-HOLE STATE?

HOW ABOUT THE LAND OF GOLDWATER- ARIZONA being the number 3 HOT SPOT IN THE WORLD? Is it a shit hole state now TOO?

WOW! SO MUCH FOR SHIT-HOLES! OUR SHIT-ASS PRESIDENT HAS ALLOWED THE UNITED STATES TO BE THE BIGGEST SHIT-HOLE IN THE WORLD NOW!

So much for making America Great! Donald Trump made us a SHIT-HOLE!

NOW I AM USING THE TRUMPTARD'S TERMS AND LOGIC HERE OF COURSE!

12. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,833 Times in 17,264 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

That makes no sense. The left has been responsible and adopted masks as a logical and right thing to do. It is the right starting threads calling it demanding submission and taking away your rights to puke viruses in other people;'s faces. I am pretty damn sure you got that backward.

13. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    So since Florida is now the NUMBER 1 HOT SPOT for the virus in the entire world- DOES THIS MEAN THAT THE TRUMPTURDS are going to call it a shit-hole state?

Say, didn't the TRUMPTARDED idiots say that the virus was only happening in SHIT-HOLE states ran by Democrat Governors and in cities ran by DEMOCRAT mayors?

And now with Texas being the number two Hot-SPOT in the world for this VIRUS- Is it now a SHIT-HOLE STATE?

HOW ABOUT THE LAND OF GOLDWATER- ARIZONA being the number 3 HOT SPOT IN THE WORLD? Is it a shit hole state now TOO?

WOW! SO MUCH FOR SHIT-HOLES! OUR SHIT-ASS PRESIDENT HAS ALLOWED THE UNITED STATES TO BE THE BIGGEST SHIT-HOLE IN THE WORLD NOW!

So much for making America Great! Donald Trump made us a SHIT-HOLE!

NOW I AM USING THE TRUMPTARD'S TERMS AND LOGIC HERE OF COURSE!
    BAM!! As of right now, there have been 35,000 new cases of Covid reported in the US. The top eight states with the most cases are:

Florida
    Arizona
    Georgia
    South Carolina
    Tennesee
    Alabama
    North Carolina
    Louisiana

Texas has not yet reported, but there is little question they will be in that list. It is not a coincidence.

14. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Woko Haram,

What an exaggeration. There's a whole lot of distance between [setting a poor example by saying he chooses not to,] and [issuing an order.]

What he needed to do was be a good leader, put on a mask, show the nation this is what everyone should do. Every governor who did that polled higher than him.

Now I am going to share my opinion on this.

If DT had done the right thing there and told the nation: "Look. Here's the deal. We are at war. This war is unlike any thing we are used to. All humans are on the same side in this war. We are at war with a virus that kills us. We are working on acquiring better weapons in the form of treatments and a vaccine but we need to buy some time to do that.

All humans are on the front line in this war with the bug. We only have simple weapons but they are very effective. The 3 W's are: Wash hands, Watch your distance, and Wear a mask. We are all going to have to get used to wearing these things for a while and taking these extra precautions as we try to continue our economy while protecting one another. Now, listen very carefully. Wearing a mask is mostly about protecting others, and only somewhat about protecting you. Even non-rated face coverings block a great amount of droplets from getting out. That's the goal. Everybody needs to keep their droplets to themselves. It is small inconvenience but a very large help in fighting the war. As your president, I am counting on you to do your part in this war. Thank you."

Now that would have been very presidential. That would have been what we would expect from a good president. If DT had done that, mask-wearing would not be political. Most people would have accepted that. It never had to be political. We would not even be having these discussions. It is actually very silly to be arguing about whether masks work. DT made it political. Masks are used in every OR in every hospital and nobody even questions it. Surgeons are not wearing masks to protect themselves. They are doing it to protect others, namely the patients.

If DT did not make it political, which he did not have to do, we would not be having these discussions. Liberals would not have fought it at all if DT said to wear them. Just my opinion, of course, but I am solidly convinced of that. That's for sure. There would be no anti-masker liberals. This has become political because DT made it political. Terrible leadership. Deaths are on his hands because of that. His words have killed.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

15. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    That makes no sense. The left has been responsible and adopted masks as a logical and right thing to do. It is the right starting threads calling it demanding submission and taking away your rights to puke viruses in other people;'s faces. I am pretty damn sure you got that backward.
    Of course it makes no sense. When Trump is involved in something, the left will immediately change course to find an excuse to denounce him.

A perfect example is when Trump mentioned that COVID was a Chinese virus. The media and even the Chinese government itself referred to it as the Wuhan Coronavirus in the beginning, but as soon as Trump made his statement, it became "racist" to call it Chinese.

It doesn't matter how nonsensical the reversal in attitude is, the left will do it.

16. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries