Thread: Florida smashes Daily Record for New Coronavirus Cases

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,771 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FreeSpeech View Post
    Death rate still declining, more testing, how many days in a row are you fucking retards going to post the same fake statistics?
    Hospitals are filling up, there are limited beds and limited personnel. Houston has called for help. Deaths will result when there isn’t adequate care for the sick. It’s why there is a need to wear masks and keep your distance.

They also believe the virus has mutated to become more transferable.

Stay in if you can.

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tff View Post
    https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...10109/2256899/

10,000 new cases in one day.

DeSantis is a fool.
    They aren’t filling up because of COVID

why are you people so ignant?

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,073 Times in 6,783 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    They aren’t filling up because of COVID

why are you people so ignant?
    Have you been right on anything in 2020?

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Woko Haram,

The time has come and passed. We know what is effective. Good advice is being ignored. Good leadership would provide more effective direction by focusing on the task at hand rather than an extremely foolish reelection meme for the sake of one selfish person.
    It's hard to really identify what the good advice actually is. One moment, health experts are telling us that masks and social distancing are really important. The next moment, they're telling us that there's no evidence that the protests have contributed to the spread of the virus (despite a lack of social distancing and plenty of people who weren't wearing masks).

They can't even get their narratives straight anymore.

Personally, I have been social distancing and wearing a mask in public. However, I don't trust the media, government, or health experts to be consistent about their message, because everyone wants to play politics, apparently.

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Yes, it is whataboutism. Some behaviors are more risky than others. Being outdoors decreases the chance of infection ten fold. So reporting that the protests don't seem to have been spreader events is not political, it is FACTUAL..
    Not really. We already know that the droplets tend to fall over a short distance. If the droplets were lighter than air, then being outdoors would make a big difference. That isn't the case.

So, if you have lots of people crowded into a small area, whether outdoors or indoors, said droplets will fall and likely land on other people. Also, a lot of the masks aren't particularly effective at stopping the movement of droplets. M95s are. Regular cloth masks, not so much.

So, again, one of 2 things must be true regarding the reports about the protests.

1) The virus is considerably less contagious than originally thought.

2) The evidence for the spread hasn't been found yet and likely will be soon.

You overly sensitive righties have to play poor widdle victim and claim the press is biased. Facts are not biased. There is not currently any evidence that the protests caused an increase in the spread. That's called a fact. it is supported somewhat by the fact that outdoor spread is difficult, and many protesters wore masks. Again, that is simply factual. Facts have no political bias. We can assume that there were people among the protesters that had the virus. But if on average they infected less than one other person, then there would be no uptick in cases due to the virus. Once again, it's called math, and math is not partisan either. So stop whining about facts. Deal with them. When we point to Trumps indoor rally with no masks, we do so because that behavior is FAR more likely to spread the virus than an outdoor rally, and the PRESIDENT could have prevented that rally from occurring. Do tell who could have prevented the protests from happening? Most were organic.
    Facts indeed have no political bias. Presentation of facts can certainly be biased, however. Omitting certain facts may play a part in these reports.

6. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Woko Haram View Post
    Not really. We already know that the droplets tend to fall over a short distance. If the droplets were lighter than air, then being outdoors would make a big difference. That isn't the case.

So, if you have lots of people crowded into a small area, whether outdoors or indoors, said droplets will fall and likely land on other people. Also, a lot of the masks aren't particularly effective at stopping the movement of droplets. M95s are. Regular cloth masks, not so much.

So, again, one of 2 things must be true regarding the reports about the protests.

1) The virus is considerably less contagious than originally thought.

2) The evidence for the spread hasn't been found yet and likely will be soon.

Facts indeed have no political bias. Presentation of facts can certainly be biased, however. Omitting certain facts may play a part in these reports.
    Nope, your conclusions are illogical. It might be the heat. it might be the humidity. It is absolutely NOT number 1. Because this virus is definitely having no problem spreading in indoor environments. Masks slow the spread of the virus. Some masks are more effective than others, but all of them are more effective than nothing. Proper use is important, but it is not a reason to not wear a mask. Social distancing, washing your hands, wearing a mask. All of them have some effectiveness. There is no disagreement on that point. You can argue all you want about how effective each is, but these all encompassing blanket statements like 'a mask does no good' simply have no basis in fact. None.

The impact of the protests is at the very least muted, since there were protests everywhere, but the virus is spreading only in certain states.

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

9,500 new cases today. Sadly, my city now has more cases every single day than the majority of STATES are seeing in a day. And where is Governor DeSantis? I guess patting himself on the back for proving how wrong the liberal media was. <sarc>

8. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Nope, your conclusions are illogical. It might be the heat. it might be the humidity. It is absolutely NOT number 1. Because this virus is definitely having no problem spreading in indoor environments. Masks slow the spread of the virus. Some masks are more effective than others, but all of them are more effective than nothing. Proper use is important, but it is not a reason to not wear a mask. Social distancing, washing your hands, wearing a mask. All of them have some effectiveness. There is no disagreement on that point. You can argue all you want about how effective each is, but these all encompassing blanket statements like 'a mask does no good' simply have no basis in fact. None.

The impact of the protests is at the very least muted, since there were protests everywhere, but the virus is spreading only in certain states.
    Heat and humidity do affect the virus, but plenty of areas with a lot of heat and humidity have seen the spread increase. It's extremely unlikely, for example, that the increase in spread in Florida was solely indoors.

When figuring in how much the virus has spread in areas that only have allowed curbside service or takeout, the heat and humidity argument doesn't hold up.

9. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Heat and humidity do affect the virus, but plenty of areas with a lot of heat and humidity have seen the spread increase. It's extremely unlikely, for example, that the increase in spread in Florida was solely indoors.

When figuring in how much the virus has spread in areas that only have allowed curbside service or takeout, the heat and humidity argument doesn't hold up.
    Here in Jax, restaurants were closed except for curbside service until the reopening started. When this really took off was when the bars reopened. Naturally, this was largely younger people, but as time went by, the community spread has started to impact all ages. Very worried about this city.

10. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Here in Jax, restaurants were closed except for curbside service until the reopening started. When this really took off was when the bars reopened. Naturally, this was largely younger people, but as time went by, the community spread has started to impact all ages. Very worried about this city.
    In NC, we've only recently allowed indoor service, but the increase in spread happened before this. It's steadily increased here for about 2 months now. I don't know as much about the history of Florida's spread, but I would assume that the large elderly population there makes Florida a more vulnerable state than most. The virus tends to spread fastest in things like nursing homes, but the indoor environment is only part of the issue. We're finding out that nursing homes, in general, are not as clean as they should be.

11. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's hard to really identify what the good advice actually is. One moment, health experts are telling us that masks and social distancing are really important. The next moment, they're telling us that there's no evidence that the protests have contributed to the spread of the virus (despite a lack of social distancing and plenty of people who weren't wearing masks).

Personally, I have been social distancing and wearing a mask in public. However, I don't trust the media, government, or health experts to be consistent about their message, because everyone wants to play politics, apparently.
    The second part in no way disproves the first. One is advice of medical experts, the other is factual reporting. Both can be true, in fact both are true. I'm not confused by that at all.

12. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The second part in no way disproves the first. One is advice of medical experts, the other is factual reporting. Both can be true, in fact both are true. I'm not confused by that at all.
    Both can be true, but it's extremely unlikely.

13. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

In NC, we've only recently allowed indoor service, but the increase in spread happened before this. It's steadily increased here for about 2 months now. I don't know as much about the history of Florida's spread, but I would assume that the large elderly population there makes Florida a more vulnerable state than most. The virus tends to spread fastest in things like nursing homes, but the indoor environment is only part of the issue. We're finding out that nursing homes, in general, are not as clean as they should be.
    A significant factor in this latest spread was the opening of bars. Young people packed them. There are numerous cases reported here of large outbreaks from a single bar. In Jacksonville, the beach areas are full of bars, and normally those bars are packed with lines outside on the weekends. That's what it looked like on Memorial Day weekend and that was repeated in many parts of the state. Those bars have no shut down again, but the damage is done.

Both my parents live in an assisted living community. That place is locked down like a fortress. Which is good. So far no one there has gotten the virus, but I believe it has gotten into 3,000 of of those communities in Florida, and it's probably only a matter of time before it happens where they are. We've talked about moving them into our house, but they don't really want to, and I'm not sure it's any safer anyway. It just takes one vendor, one person that works there, one tainted delivery to the front desk, and it'll spread like wildfire. My parents are 99 and 96, and probably wouldn't survive getting this. They almost seem resigned.

14. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Woko Haram,

The advice is simple. The 3 W's. Wash hands, Watch distance, Wear a mask.

Conflating 'health experts' and 'the media' into one 'they' will always lead to a perception of inconsistency. Reason: Talking about two different groups as if one.

Mask wearing never needed to become political. That's an example of poor leadership.

The moment DT said it was a personal choice and he chose not to, that set the stage. He actually made the pandemic way worse with those words.

A responsible caring leader would have set the proper example.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-03-2020)

16. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

A significant factor in this latest spread was the opening of bars. Young people packed them. There are numerous cases reported here of large outbreaks from a single bar. In Jacksonville, the beach areas are full of bars, and normally those bars are packed with lines outside on the weekends. That's what it looked like on Memorial Day weekend and that was repeated in many parts of the state. Those bars have no shut down again, but the damage is done.

Both my parents live in an assisted living community. That place is locked down like a fortress. Which is good. So far no one there has gotten the virus, but I believe it has gotten into 3,000 of of those communities in Florida, and it's probably only a matter of time before it happens where they are. We've talked about moving them into our house, but they don't really want to, and I'm not sure it's any safer anyway. It just takes one vendor, one person that works there, one tainted delivery to the front desk, and it'll spread like wildfire. My parents are 99 and 96, and probably wouldn't survive getting this. They almost seem resigned.
    Sorry to hear about your parents. I would imagine many bars aren't known for strict cleaning practices either.