1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Woko Haram,

OK, the testing thing.

Testing does not make the pandemic worse. It makes it better because it is a valuable tool in reducing the spread.

There are a certain number of cases out there.

The more testing you have the more cases you know about, the more cases you can do something about, at least tell the person so they know not to spread it.

If you do less testing it does not reduce the number of cases out there. All it does is makes it so you don't know about them. That makes the pandemic worse because people will be less careful if they are unaware they are carriers and could be infectious.

It is astonishing DT does not get this.

That's terrible leadership. Really, it is a lack of leadership.
    I would agree that more testing is a good thing, but again, it's hard to assess the performance of states in comparison with each other when the rates vary so much.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Woko Haram View Post
    And the example you gave in the OP was outdoors.

There is a lot of cognitive dissonance going on right now with the media, health agencies, and the left. Just today, health experts have come out saying that the protests that happened a few weeks ago don't appear to have affected the spread of COVID.

When considering that plenty of the protesters did not wear masks or social distance, that implies that masks and social distancing aren't as vital as once believed.

Granted, there is also the possibility that these people are running cover for a political movement they favor or are afraid to criticize.

Either way, it's hard to tell people to social distance and wear masks while simultaneously saying that gatherings of hundreds and thousands of people in close proximity did not increase the spread of COVID.
    What makes you think it was outdoors? Because they grilled food? LOL at you. It is beyond stupid to attempt to politicize this by saying 'they did it first'. The protesters, at least the ones without masks, were reckless as well. So what?

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Woko Haram,

Way to sugar coat it.
    It's not sugar coating. It's simply looking at the numbers.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    What makes you think it was outdoors? Because they grilled food? LOL at you. It is beyond stupid to attempt to politicize this by saying 'they did it first'. The protesters, at least the ones without masks, were reckless as well. So what?
    People usually barbecue outdoors, but I'll concede that it could have been indoors. Maybe that's a California thing. Here in NC, we do it outdoors.

I was actually making the point that the media and the left have politicized this. They will heavily criticize any protesters for reopening businesses, but they will either support or ignore the same behaviors by BLM or Antifa.

Because they have politicized this, it engenders doubts regarding what is important to prevent the spread vs. what isn't. And the comments I referenced regarding the protests would actually seem to make the argument for reopening easier.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Saudade For This Post:

Stretch (07-02-2020)

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Majority recover. Will there be constant kvetching year-round now for all eternity for every one of the many corona viruses? Every flu season?
    Every death due to cigarettes? Heart disease? Pulmonary disease? Diabetes? Obesity?
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

Cancel 2020.2 (07-02-2020), Saudade (07-02-2020)

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    Majority recover. Will there be constant kvetching year-round now for all eternity for every one of the many corona viruses? Every flu season?
    Every death due to cigarettes? Heart disease? Pulmonary disease? Diabetes? Obesity?
    No one knows the long term effects this disease will have on their bodies.

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts

Hello Woko Haram,

Way to sugar coat it.
    Like, wow!

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,406 Times in 2,917 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 325 Times in 306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    VERY good point. Thank you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.2 For This Post:

Stretch (07-02-2020)

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Woko Haram,

I would agree that more testing is a good thing, but again, it's hard to assess the performance of states in comparison with each other when the rates vary so much.
    That is unimportant. Fighting the war we find ourselves in is.

Priorities.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hello Woko Haram,

That is unimportant. Fighting the war we find ourselves in is.

Priorities.
    I would say it is important to an extent. Being able to assess states accurately should give us an idea of which approaches work vs. which don't.

The beauty of our system is that each state sets its own rules. The hazard of this is that it does have ramifications for neighboring states, but over time, we can advise certain states to change course as needed.

14. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

People usually barbecue outdoors, but I'll concede that it could have been indoors. Maybe that's a California thing. Here in NC, we do it outdoors.

I was actually making the point that the media and the left have politicized this. They will heavily criticize any protesters for reopening businesses, but they will either support or ignore the same behaviors by BLM or Antifa.

Because they have politicized this, it engenders doubts regarding what is important to prevent the spread vs. what isn't. And the comments I referenced regarding the protests would actually seem to make the argument for reopening easier.
    Nonsense. Stop whining about the media. It was stupid to protest without a mask. It was irresponsible to protest without a mask. There, now we have that out of the way. Move along to responding instead of playing the whataboutism game.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Concart For This Post:

PoliTalker (07-03-2020)

16. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Nonsense. Stop whining about the media. It was stupid to protest without a mask. It was irresponsible to protest without a mask. There, now we have that out of the way. Move along to responding instead of playing the whataboutism game.
    It's not whataboutism if you literally have the media now quoting health officials as saying that the protests don't seem to have caused more of the spread.

If it really is true that the protests didn't increase the spread, then that completely undermines the policies in place that ban mass gatherings.

17. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Woko Haram,

I would say it is important to an extent. Being able to assess states accurately should give us an idea of which approaches work vs. which don't.

The beauty of our system is that each state sets its own rules. The hazard of this is that it does have ramifications for neighboring states, but over time, we can advise certain states to change course as needed.
    The time has come and passed. We know what is effective. Good advice is being ignored. Good leadership would provide more effective direction by focusing on the task at hand rather than an extremely foolish reelection meme for the sake of one selfish person.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

18. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's not whataboutism if you literally have the media now quoting health officials as saying that the protests don't seem to have caused more of the spread.

If it really is true that the protests didn't increase the spread, then that completely undermines the policies in place that ban mass gatherings.
    Yes, it is whataboutism. Some behaviors are more risky than others. Being outdoors decreases the chance of infection ten fold. So reporting that the protests don't seem to have been spreader events is not political, it is FACTUAL. You overly sensitive righties have to play poor widdle victim and claim the press is biased. Facts are not biased. There is not currently any evidence that the protests caused an increase in the spread. That's called a fact. it is supported somewhat by the fact that outdoor spread is difficult, and many protesters wore masks. Again, that is simply factual. Facts have no political bias. We can assume that there were people among the protesters that had the virus. But if on average they infected less than one other person, then there would be no uptick in cases due to the virus. Once again, it's called math, and math is not partisan either. So stop whining about facts. Deal with them. When we point to Trumps indoor rally with no masks, we do so because that behavior is FAR more likely to spread the virus than an outdoor rally, and the PRESIDENT could have prevented that rally from occurring. Do tell who could have prevented the protests from happening? Most were organic.

19. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 93 Times in 82 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tff View Post
    https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...10109/2256899/

10,000 new cases in one day.

DeSantis is a fool.
    Death rate still declining, more testing, how many days in a row are you fucking retards going to post the same fake statistics?