Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: An Ill Advised COVID 4th Fireworks Display - No Mask Required!

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Penderyn,

Quote Originally Posted by Penderyn View Post
    The masks are just coming in. Johnson does everything too late to be useful - it's a knack!
    You would think that being in intensive care with COVID-19 would have snapped at least *some* sense into him...
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello tff,

Quote Originally Posted by tff View Post
    He must really believe that the polls are wrong.
    He believes whatever he tells himself he wants to be true.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Woko Haram,

Quote Originally Posted by Woko Haram View Post
    Tell me, have there been any "smart crowds" of protesters in the last month or so? I don't recall any social distancing among the BLM and Antifa protesters. I don't think social distancing went on in Portland last night.
    Oh, I get it.

Two wrongs somehow make a right?

"Other people are being stupid so that makes it OK for me to be stupid too."

Fortunately, most of the nation is smarter than that.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Trump saw that some Alabamians were throwing "COVID parties" and wanted to throw one himself. No doubt even more people will be infected than in Tulsa!

Highly irresponsible.

"We won't be social distancing."

-No masks required-

How dumb is THAT?

And that is not to mention the tremendous fire potential.

"Friday's event will mark the first time there's been a fireworks event at the national memorial since 2009. It was called off after that because of a mountain pine beetle infestation in the area, which left dead ponderosa pine trees susceptible to fire. "

"Beyond the potential health risk, though, some are concerned the fireworks show could pose a threat to the surrounding natural environment. Cheryl Schreier, who was superintendent of the national memorial from 2010 to 2019, wrote an op-ed for The Washington Post, saying fireworks pose a danger to public safety, and natural and cultural resources.

She said that should there be a wildfire sparked by the fireworks or any other emergency during the event, it could be difficult to get adequate emergency services to the site in a timely manner.

"Thanks to an extremely dry summer, South Dakota faces a higher than usual risk of wildfires," Schreier wrote."

UPI

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,544 Times in 9,995 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    "WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump’s July Fourth celebration on the National Mall will feature one of the largest fireworks displays ever and as many as 300,000 face masks will be given away to those who want them — but despite health concerns from D.C.'s mayor, no one apparently will be required to wear them."

"Among those deeply concerned is Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser, who doesn't have the right to shut down the holiday spectacle because it's on federal land, but warned the federal government about the obvious dangers of such a large crowd.

Bowser said she had briefly read through the Interior Department's statement on the July Fourth plans and believed they were not consistent with established health guidelines.

“We know this is a special event for the Department of Interior. We’ve communicated to them that we do not think this is in keeping with the best CDC and Department of Health guidance. But this event will take place entirely on federal property,” Bowser said."

"Interior officials planned to have 300,000 face coverings on hand to give away at the National Mall. "

DT plans huge July 4 fireworks show despite DC's concerns

If people are smart, the Interior Department will be left with a lot of those masks on July 5th, because people just stayed away. Worst case would be they show up and decline the masks.

This is not as bad as the indoor rally, but it is still not the best idea.

Hopefully the viewing areas will be large enough to accommodate smart crowds who wear masks and have plenty of room to stay away from one another. Crowd size control would be a good idea.

A lot of people normally view the fireworks in DC from boats on the Potomac River. That seems like a far safer way to view as long as the boats only contain families which normally reside together.

Rain chances for DC on Saturday night are 50/50.

Most will be watching it on TV, the safest way.
    Its outside fuck face, like all the protest u supported are/were

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Granule View Post
    Thank you for staying home, PoliTalker. I wish more of you would do that. Shopping would be so much more enjoyable.
    Be sure to wear your mask while shopping

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,073 Times in 6,783 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,829 Times in 1,694 Posts

You should really forfeit your right to lead people if you don't encourage even basic precautions to protect their lives & health.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-03-2020)

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Hello Woko Haram,

Oh, I get it.

Two wrongs somehow make a right?

"Other people are being stupid so that makes it OK for me to be stupid too."

Fortunately, most of the nation is smarter than that.
    That wasn't my point. I'm saying that I've seen a very different response coming from the left regarding the same violation of rules that BLM and Antifa have done.

The point is that I don't believe most of the left even really cares about public safety. They just use COVID restrictions as a means to suppress people they don't agree with, while making excuses for those they do agree with.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Saudade For This Post:

anatta (07-03-2020)

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Woko Haram,

That wasn't my point. I'm saying that I've seen a very different response coming from the left regarding the same violation of rules that BLM and Antifa have done.

The point is that I don't believe most of the left even really cares about public safety. They just use COVID restrictions as a means to suppress people they don't agree with, while making excuses for those they do agree with.
    The liberal media covered the protests and talked about the risk, the social distancing, the ill-advised non-compliance. The data-scant studies showing little spread due to the protests did not come out until weeks later.

And again, the inescapable mistake being made here, which leads directly to this biased impression that it is only one side which does this, is futilely trying to treat 'the left' as one entity.

It is true there are generally common views on the right and on the left, but the reality is that both sides of the political spectrum consist of millions of individuals, each of them with different views. If one side sees different views coming out of the other side, perhaps not always in agreement, that is reality being observed. Different people have different views. This is true on the left and it is true on the right.

Think about this. If you are conservative, look at other people who are also conservative. They are not all the same. Not all like you. You got most of the military, most police, very rich and powerful people, conservative talk show hosts, rural dwellers, farmers, evangelicals, the rich but not super-rich, company owners, a lot of doctors and lawyers, energy industry workers, the uneducated, some deplorable people, hate groups, white supremacists, a lot of rich old white guy lifer politicians, greedy selfish people who pay no taxes, MAGAKAG people, some macho tough guy celebrities, gun rights people, and on and on.

Those people are not all the same. Not at all. I would be absurd to expect a consistent message out of all of them.

And it's much the same way with the left. The left covers an even wider spectrum of different lives and different reasons for supporting the causes and leaders they do. There are religious Black Rights activists and supporters, BLM, SPLC, gay rights supporters, women's rights, abortion rights advocates, gun law advocates, recreational drug freedom advocates, environmental advocates, anti-drilling people, Native American rights advocates, worker unions, universal health care advocates, DACA dreamers, immigrant rights groups, antifa, anti-corruption advocates, Wealth Inequity protestors, overpopulation awareness groups such as ZPG, frequently the ACLU, food safety advocates, product safety advocates, food nutrition advocates, homeless helpers, public education advocates, those who simply think of others and tend to speak up for the disadvantaged who lack resources or the simple knowledge of how to better themselves through no fault of their own, non unionized worker rights advocates such Fight For Fifteen, and on and on.

With all of this quite well known, it is illogical to expect a consistent message out of either side.

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    You should really forfeit your right to lead people if you don't encourage even basic precautions to protect their lives & health.
    Well, I heard where Trump is calling it a July 4th protest, so it sounds like he’s on top of it lol.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

anatta (07-03-2020)

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Huge difference, one is largely spontaneous, the other planned, even requiring a ticket for admittance

15. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-03-2020)

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Well, I heard where Trump is calling it a July 4th protest, so it sounds like he’s on top of it lol.
    It would be one of the few things he was on top of if true, and you noticed I didn't touch the obvious there

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,614 Times in 10,679 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 617 Times in 606 Posts
    Blog Entries

"WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump’s July Fourth celebration on the National Mall will feature one of the largest fireworks displays ever and as many as 300,000 face masks will be given away to those who want them — but despite health concerns from D.C.'s mayor, no one apparently will be required to wear them."

"Among those deeply concerned is Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser, who doesn't have the right to shut down the holiday spectacle because it's on federal land, but warned the federal government about the obvious dangers of such a large crowd.

Bowser said she had briefly read through the Interior Department's statement on the July Fourth plans and believed they were not consistent with established health guidelines.

“We know this is a special event for the Department of Interior. We’ve communicated to them that we do not think this is in keeping with the best CDC and Department of Health guidance. But this event will take place entirely on federal property,” Bowser said."

"Interior officials planned to have 300,000 face coverings on hand to give away at the National Mall. "

If people are smart, the Interior Department will be left with a lot of those masks on July 5th, because people just stayed away. Worst case would be they show up and decline the masks.

Hopefully the viewing areas will be large enough to accommodate smart crowds who wear masks and have plenty of room to stay away from one another. Crowd size control would be a good idea.

A lot of people normally view the fireworks in DC from boats on the Potomac River. That seems like a far safer way to view as long as the boats only contain families which normally reside together.

WE'LL JUST CALL IT A "PROTEST", SO IT WILL BE IMMUNE TO COVID....
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 24 Times in 23 Posts

Hello Woko Haram,

The liberal media covered the protests and talked about the risk, the social distancing, the ill-advised non-compliance. The data-scant studies showing little spread due to the protests did not come out until weeks later.

And again, the inescapable mistake being made here, which leads directly to this biased impression that it is only one side which does this, is futilely trying to treat 'the left' as one entity.

It is true there are generally common views on the right and on the left, but the reality is that both sides of the political spectrum consist of millions of individuals, each of them with different views. If one side sees different views coming out of the other side, perhaps not always in agreement, that is reality being observed. Different people have different views. This is true on the left and it is true on the right.

Think about this. If you are conservative, look at other people who are also conservative. They are not all the same. Not all like you. You got most of the military, most police, very rich and powerful people, conservative talk show hosts, rural dwellers, farmers, evangelicals, the rich but not super-rich, company owners, a lot of doctors and lawyers, energy industry workers, the uneducated, some deplorable people, hate groups, white supremacists, a lot of rich old white guy lifer politicians, greedy selfish people who pay no taxes, MAGAKAG people, some macho tough guy celebrities, gun rights people, and on and on.

Those people are not all the same. Not at all. I would be absurd to expect a consistent message out of all of them.

And it's much the same way with the left. The left covers an even wider spectrum of different lives and different reasons for supporting the causes and leaders they do. There are religious Black Rights activists and supporters, BLM, SPLC, gay rights supporters, women's rights, abortion rights advocates, gun law advocates, recreational drug freedom advocates, environmental advocates, anti-drilling people, Native American rights advocates, worker unions, universal health care advocates, DACA dreamers, immigrant rights groups, antifa, anti-corruption advocates, Wealth Inequity protestors, overpopulation awareness groups such as ZPG, frequently the ACLU, food safety advocates, product safety advocates, food nutrition advocates, homeless helpers, public education advocates, those who simply think of others and tend to speak up for the disadvantaged who lack resources or the simple knowledge of how to better themselves through no fault of their own, non unionized worker rights advocates such Fight For Fifteen, and on and on.

With all of this quite well known, it is illogical to expect a consistent message out of either side.
    Fair enough. But the mainstream media is much easier to generalize about than the left overall. You can't really argue against the fact that the media's treatment of the reopening protests was entirely different from their treatment of the BLM protests.

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.