Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for the mask experts

1. #241 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 727 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 372 Times in 345 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    'Expert' worship. Science is not a credential. It is not a license. It is not a doctor. It is not a scientist. It is not people at all. It is just a set of falsifiable theories. Non-sequitur fallacy.
    Lol.

2. #242 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,098 Times in 11,671 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Panetta View Post
    Just stop with your disinformation.
    Not disinformation.

Masks do not stop a virus. See the N95 specifications.
    6 feet does not stop a virus. It is airborne. It can survive intact for hours to days.
    Plastic barriers do not stop a virus. Air flows around them.

3. #243 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Lol.
    Hollow laugh. You are denying science.

4. #244 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Lol.
    Hollow laugh. Denial of science.

5. #245 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not disinformation.

Masks do not stop a virus. See the N95 specifications.
    6 feet does not stop a virus. It is airborne. It can survive intact for hours to days.
    Plastic barriers do not stop a virus. Air flows around them.
    You're implying that a covered face is no different than an uncovered face. A covered face will prevent you from spreading a contageon as much as an uncovered face.

6. #246 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hollow laugh. Denial of science.
    You're the one who denies evolution, climate science, heliocentrism, and now virology.

7. #247 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,846 Times in 3,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 122 Posts

You could have COVID-19 and not know it.
    I don't have COVID.

Most of us will get it, but most of us won't develop symptoms.
    That's not only because we have immune systems, but also because COVID-19 is only a flu.

But you could easily pass it to someone who could develop symptoms.
    I can't pass it to someone else because I don't have it.

8. #248 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How do you know you don't have COVID-19? I tested positive for it a while ago but never had symptoms. It eventually left my system.
    Tests can yield false positives...

9. #249 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Condoms actually do stop HIV transmission.
    No, not always... Accidents DO occur where the condom is not properly fitted/worn or it tears or otherwise does not "keep everything inside of it".

Let me guess, you don't believe smoking causes cancer?
    Smoking doesn't cause cancer. There have been people who have lived to be around 100 years old who smoked most of their lifetime who never contracted cancer. George Burns is a famous example of such a person.

There really is no way for any of us to know... Even you. Given that you have a distorted view of how to stop the transmission, I would not trust any of your claims.
    The distortion is yours, not mine. You think that six feet stops a virus. You think that masks stop a virus. You think that plastic shields stop a virus. You think that shutting down an economy stops a virus.

10. #250 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Many times that is how it is used, but it uses a different mechanism, so has different strengths and weaknesses. Hand sanitizer kills bacteria and viruses. Soap and water removes bacteria, viruses, and whatever grime. Soap and water is often better, because it removes the grime that bacteria can live on. For viruses, that is less important, because viruses cannot live on anything but living cells. Hand sanitizer is better at getting rid of viruses.

In general, it is best to use multiple methods. So you wash your hands often, and use hand sanitizer often, that is the best method.
    Washing your hands with soap/water is plenty sufficient. Wherever there is soap/water available for use, there is no need for hand sanitizer. I only ever use hand sanitizer if I am out hiking somewhere (no soap/water) and I have to use one of the grungy bathrooms or something like that (especially if I am going to eat food afterwards). Sometimes I don't even use hand sanitizer in those instances and just wash my hands when I get home before I eat.

I'm not an excessive hand washer, and there's very limited instances in my life in which I find any use for hand sanitizer. I very rarely get sick, and the rare instances that I do get sick, my symptoms tend to be quite mild at most. Then again, I get fairly regular exercise, I do not overeat, I eat (mostly) healthy foods (I do have my vices though, such as ice cream and pizza), and I get quite a bit of sunlight exposure.

Thats what all the super-spreaders say.
    I can't spread a virus that I don't have. COVID-19 is an airborne virus. It is in the air. It does not need an infected person to spread.

Our immune system is a work in progress.
    Yup, and it's quite a good work in progress at that!

Civilization has advanced quicker than our immune system, which means that disease hardily bitch slaps us every couple of generations.
    Your argument does not follow. What "bitch slap?? A small fraction of a percent of the population being infected is not a "bitch slap", neither is the fraction of the small fraction of a percent of the population that has died "from" the virus. You are talking about very insignificant numbers, statistically speaking...

There are two possible solutions, either allow major chunks of our population to die, or out think the diseases with technology.
    False Dichotomy. You could also just live your life as you did "pre-corona", as I am currently doing.

A fraction of a small fraction of a percent of "deaths" is not a "major chunk of our population"... It is statistically insignificant. What "technology" are you referring to? Masks do not stop a virus, plastic barriers do not stop a virus, plastic coverings on card scanner devices do not stop a virus... ... ...

11. #251 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You're implying that a covered face is no different than an uncovered face. A covered face will prevent you from spreading a contageon as much as an uncovered face.
    Masks do not stop a virus. The virus is airborne. It's everywhere already.
    6 feet does not stop a virus. The virus is airborne. It's everywhere already.
    Plastic barriers do not stop a virus. The virus is airborne. It's everywhere already.

99.9% of the population in the United States is not infected with Covid19. Treating them like they have leprosy or something and forcing them to wear masks is actually unconstitutional. Several governors have been struck down for this already in the courts.

It seems more will follow.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Evmetro (07-06-2020)

13. #252 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You're the one who denies evolution, climate science, heliocentrism, and now virology.
    The Theory of Evolution is not science. It is not falsifiable. It is a religion. It is not possible to prove it either True or False. It is not possible to go back in time to see what actually happened.

There is no such thing as 'climate science'. Climate is a subjective word. Theories of science must be falsifiable. That means they must be testable against their null hypotheses using a test the is specific, and produces a specific result. That also means such a test is a value. Climate has no value.

The Earth does not orbit the Sun. They orbit each other around a point known as the barycenter. For the Earth-Sun system, the barycenter is located within the Sun, but not at its center. See Kepler's laws and Newton's laws.
    Virology is a branch of science, but N95 masks are not. They are engineering. Do not confuse science with engineering. So are plastic barriers. The Covid19 is an airborne virus, capable of surviving intact for hours to days in open dry air.

Masks do not stop a virus.
    6 feet does not stop a virus.
    Plastic barriers do not stop a virus.
    There is no gas or vapor capable of warming the Earth. You can't create energy out of nothing. They do not insulate the Earth. You can't decrease entropy in any system.

You have now so far denied the N95 specifications, the characteristics of an airborne virus, the 1st law of thermodynamics, the 2nd law of thermodynamics, and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

It is YOU that is denying science. You are also denying engineering.

You are a religious fundamentalist, a member of the Church of Global Warming and the Church of Fear.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Evmetro (07-06-2020)

15. #253 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,310 Times in 8,474 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

It is not a source of Covid19. The virus came from China.
    China is either extinct or close to extinct in the human population of China. It is spreading like wildfire in the USA. Currently, the source of Covid-19 is the USA.

Given the age of virus families, the original source is before the advent of nation states.

16. #254 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Covid19 has killed no one. It can induce pneumonia, which can kill, but the virus itself does not kill. Pneumonia can be treated with aggressive antibiotics, especially if caught early.
    Viral pneumonia cannot be treated with antibiotics. It would be treated with antivirals, which has poor success. Covid-19 is a virus, so causes viral pneumonia.

17. #255 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Why are my coworkers [well, ex] required to wear N95’s during surgery now? The regular masks don’t work? Help me to understand this.
    N95 masks work better than regular surgical masks. With a dangerous disease sweeping through America, we have to up our game.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Phantasmal (07-07-2020)